Did any celebrity deaths really upset you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was having a think about this one this morning and I can think of a couple.

I was quite young and was told I was quite upset upon hearing Kenneth Williams had died in 1988. Was eating Icecream at the time and a total shock for me. I do remember Harry H Corbett's death in 1982.

I think the one that really got me in shock was Benny Hills death in 1992 as loved the guy on tv when I was a youngster and always kept the last show he did. I was suprised Frankie Howerd died the same day but researching now seems he died the day before but back then in the next they publicised both stories the same day but Benny's they covered more than Frankie.

I will say Owen Hart in 1999 because that was a right shocking thing to hear for someone to die in a freak accident on a live PPV. Recently The Warrior's death has been on the same feeling.

Sure I dont know them and never met them but because they were on tv every week to me it felt like a close friend had died. I felt the same way with Eddie & Chris.

Comments

• PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaliyah
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not really, they were complete strangers to me, I didn't know them.
  • miss_sassy1miss_sassy1 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    None what so ever.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson. Was on holiday when I heard he died. First album I bought was - BAD
    Childhood 80's.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None that really upset me, but many that surprised me a little. Today, for example, hearing about Bob Hoskins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i don't care tbh;. Everyone dies sometime, i will mourn people i knew personally.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Steve Irwin,

I used to think I was rather cynical and a bit of a stone heart about people who got upset over celeb deaths, and the Princess Di grief was way OTT, but I genuinely felt quite sad when I heard about him.
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    No. I find it quite hard to get upset about someone I dont know dying to be honest

When Amy Winehouse died my facebook feed exploded with a load of fake grief..I found it quite pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Steve Irwin,

I used to think I was rather cynical and a bit of a stone heart about people who got upset over celeb deaths, and the Princess Di grief was way OTT, but I genuinely felt quite sad when I heard about him.

Why? He chose to take the risks, he was a grown man who knew what he was doing. He took the risk and paid a big price. No sympathy here
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet, but there are actors and footballers and musicians that will definitely hurt

Some of them are old enough for it not to be a shock aswell. It's the feeling that your childhood is long gone and you're getting old rather than anything personal isn't it?
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I felt sad for Peaches Hubby and babies aswell as for Matilda Ledger :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    No, not really, they were complete strangers to me, I didn't know them.

This.
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick Swayze
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Peaches Geldof's death was shocking, but I wouldn't say it upset me as such. There are one or two celebs whose death would upset me, but they are still alive at the moment, so I wont name them (although I have dreamed about one of them dying).
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lennon and John Sullivan- both of whom could have contributed so much more.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Philip Seymour Hoffman's was completely shocking to me. I generally feel sad for anyone who dies who has young kids. It's generally more the kids I feel for though.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I was taken aback by Kurt Cobains death but not devastated
    i thought Peaches' death was shocking as it was totally unexpected

I might be a bit sniffly when Her Maj dies.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Swayze

Yeah that hurt, he played one of my favourite characters ever in one of my favourites films ever (Point Break) so what if I didn't know him personally
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upset? NO way. I dont know them at all

But if they are extremely talented & their absence could potentially affect me as a consumer of their work then that's bad
  • BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Not a death and not even a Bolton supporter but I felt a bit upset when Fabrice Muamba collapsed. But generally, no. I get so fed up of the ghoulishness disguised as grief/sympathy that I usually go the other way and get really flippant about celeb deaths.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Why? He chose to take the risks, he was a grown man who knew what he was doing. He took the risk and paid a big price. No sympathy here

Oh don't get me wrong, I fully accept that and Steve Irwin knew the risks he took. Perhaps it's irrational, but I loved watching his shows and his general joie de vivre. 'Crikkey she's a beauuuuty!' and all that. :D

The dude grappled massive crocs/ bad ass snakes etc and came out unscathed and in the end a lowly sting ray took him out. He actually did a lot of good for the animals he had such a passion for. I just found it sad really. No more, no less.

Don't worry, I didn't set up a Crocodile Hunter memorial in my living room or anything.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lennon and George Harrison. I grew up with the Beatles, and Johns death especially was so terrible it took some sinking in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, I was upset when Tupac Shakur died as I was a fan although if you believe the rumours he is making a come back this year?

Also Michael Jackson, he was my idol as a child.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Irwin and Gary Speed.

Also, although not a 'celebrity' as such, the death of Hungarian footballer Miklos Feher is something I found very upsetting. He collapsed and died on the pitch, and was smiling one moment, then dead seconds later. It happened on camera and I found it genuinely shocking and upsetting to see someone go as quickly as he did.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lennon's death and Ian Dury's both upset me quite a bit.