Can a house be blacklisted for credit?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
Forum Member
Strangely, neither me nor my mum can get credit at this address. I've never had it before, but I've been refused it recently (I assumed it was because I was a student and moving around a lot).

Anyway, my mum applied and she has a decent credit history (I think - well, she's never really been refused before). She's had credit at this address numerous amounts of times, too.

However, when my dad died, we had a load of trouble convincing certain companies that he had died. Consequently, they kept charging, threatening court action etc... even though he was dead. I have the same name as him (albeit spelled differently - Steven and Stephen - me the former) and one of them tried to pass the bills on to me! :eek:

A second thing which may have affected it is my brother. He is in the army and he was recently in Iraq. He lost his mobile phone before going to Iraq. When he got back, he had a massive bill for £400 (for 1 month!). He wasn't able to inform Vodafone of this because calls home were limited. My mum informed them of it, but because she wasn't listed on his account, they could only wait until he got in touch with them. Anyway... after a load of hassle, Vodafone still demanded the £400 and wouldn't block the phone since my brother didn't report it within 14 days of being stolen/lost. He was registered with it at this address and has cancelled his contract with them.

So... do credit agencies blacklist actual addresses?

Comments

• Smiling-AngelSmiling-Angel Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Im pretty sure they do Ste.

A freind of mine had the same trouble and she found out it wasnt her but the house that had the bad credit due to the previous owners.

Hopefully someone on here will tell you how to get around this problem.

Good luck.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In theory no, in practice occasionally (but that is the exception not the norm).

There are three problems you have though, and you have to break it down into black and white here I'm afraid - whether it was your fault or not.

Firstly, you have no credit history. There is nothing to see what sort of a debtor you will be, so have a high chance of being refused credit.

Secondly, your mother will have flags on her account to say she is possibly a credit risk because she will now be associated with your father's debts that you have been unable to pay.

Thirdly Vodafone will have put a flag on your brother's account to say he is a possible credit risk.

What you need to do is for all three of you to apply for your credit records with Equifax and Experian, the two main credit reference companies in the UK. You will each receive back a credit report, and be able to request anything factually incorrect to be changed. If any of your father's debts show up, you need to write to the organisations he was indebted to and explain the situation. Make sure you're no longer in debt with these companies and ask them to clear any bad credit flags as it was their fault.

Following this, so long as the companies agree, you can write back to Experian and Equifax to have your records updated, which should put all of you back on better footing (so long as you don't have genuinely bad credit to start with).
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Step 1: as CitySlicker says, is for you both to get the credit files from Experian and Equifax.

Step 2: Your mother will almost certainly be associated with your father, and she needs to send a Notice of Disassociation to both Experian and Equifax.

Step 3: Dispute and defaults that are showing on the report directly with Equifax or Experian. The reason to do it with them is that as soon as you do so they put a flag on the default to show that it is disputed. It's then up to them to sort the problem.

There is some really good information on exactly your situation (though I suspect yours is made more complicated by having the same name as your father) at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4226245.stm

Edit: Money Box Live on Radio 4 covered this a while ago as well. There is a transcript of the show: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/6211384.stm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that! :)

I've asked loads of questions about credit on here recently, because I was really confused to why I was unable to get any... other than high interest stuff at like 29%. Like I said, I assumed that it was because I've moved around a lot. So... as a test, I applied for credit and said that I just lived at this address for ages (technically, I have... apparently this is my permanent address and my student addresses are not counted?).

Anyway, I have been meaning to get onto Experian or Equifax for a while now.. but I hear that this will add a credit search on my file, too?
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If one person is a shirker in your house they assume you might be too, pretty insulting that is considering who I live with. :rolleyes:

Don't even need to be related either, be careful who you rent a room to. ;)
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    As That Bloke says, you are likely to have numerous problems because of having the same name as your father (albeit different spelling). A friend of mine had loads of problems due to her daughter's debts because they had the same initial.

Parents should really not give their first name or even their first name initial to their offspring - it can cause serious hassle if someone gets into a debt problem when they use the same address.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can carry out as many requests for your credit file as you like with no penalty, these don't go against you in any way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ste... wrote:
    So... do credit agencies blacklist actual addresses?

No, they don't. It's a common misconception but it doesn't happen. If you think about it, if houses were blacklisted, then how on earth would anyone ever buy a reposssed property.

People don't get 'blacklisted' either. Another common misconception?

ALSO, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BLACKLISTING.

If you have any credit, for example a loan or credit card, the monthly conduct of that is reported to the credit reference agencies and then if you apply for more credit, lenders can see this information and then make an informed decision about whether they want to lend you any more money. People can have a bad credit history but they are not 'blacklisted'.

When a lender does a search though, they will be able to see the credit for people at your address(es) with the same surname as you although this should not have any affect on your credit rating. However, if you have the same initial as your father, they could be viewing his credit as yours - lenders don't always give the credit reference agencies dates of birth - and this could be affecting your ability to get credit especially if he has some adverse data registered against him.

As others have suggested, you need to get a copy of your credit reference report - you should be able to see everyone's credit at your address with the same surname as you as well - and you can always write what's called a notice of correction, which will be put on your credit file and can be seen by lenders, to explain the situation and, if necessary, distance yourself from your father's previous accounts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemonbun wrote:
    Parents should really not give their first name or even their first name initial to their offspring - it can cause serious hassle if someone gets into a debt problem when they use the same address.

Because that's what you think of when you name your child isn't it?

Honestly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I believe houses can achieve a blacklisting. When I got my first mobile on contract I was told that because I lived in a student house and so many people had lived there in a short amount of time I would have been expected to pay an amount up front before any bills as a sort of guarantee. So I registered it under my parents address.
    Forum Member
    Ah...

My mum, my dad and me... we're all S. Surname.

When I apply for credit, it's Mr S Surname (since that's the name my bank account is registered with, of course). That could be the issue.

Does anyone know if there's truth in my home address being my permanent address whilst at uni?
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 9,689
    Forum Member
    It is not the house as such but the address and the results of a credit search.

All you need to do is write to the credit agency explaining that you live at that address but have nothing in common with the person who has previously defaulted and you should be fine.

My dad got into a lot of trouble and as I had the same address as him I kept being refused credit. I disassociated myself with him and hey presto credit galore. :D

Also make sure you are on voting register

good luck honey :)

Edit: Yes your home address is permanent unless you advise otherwise :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I repeat again - there is no such thing as people or houses being blacklisted.

It does not happen.
    Forum Member
    Ste have a read very useful :)

Correcting Your Credit File
    If you think that any of the information you have been sent by the credit reference agency is wrong, you can ask for it to be corrected or removed from the file. You need to write to the agency telling them what you want them to do. You should explain why you think the information is wrong. Click here for more information on repairing your credit history and credit repair.

If you write to the agency in this way, they have to reply within 28 days. Their answer will tell you whether they have corrected the information, removed it from their file or done nothing. If the file has been corrected, you will get a copy of the entry. If the reply states that the agency has done nothing or if the information is corrected but you remain unhappy with the correction you can write your own note of correction (no more than 200 words) clearly explaining why you think the information is wrong and ask for it to be included on the file.

If the credit reference agency has not written to you within 28 days or has refused to add your note of correction, you can appeal to the Information Commissioner. If you want to do this, you will have to write to:

The Information Commissioner Wycliffe House, Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire. SK9 5AF
    When you write, you must give the following details:
    a) Your full name and address
    b) Name and address of credit reference agency
    c) Copy of the note of correction
    d) Details of the information you think is wrong including:

Why you think it is wrong

Why you think you are likely to suffer because it is wrong

The date when you send the note of correction
    Facts About Blacklisting
    Will Other Members of My Family Be Affected? If you have had problems with repaying your debt, this should not affect other members of your family or other people who you live when they try to gain credit for themselves (unless they are also named as responsible for your debt). However, where people are living at the same address and particularly where they have the same surname, it is possible for information about one individual to be mixed up with another’s credit file. If people that you live with have been refused credit, the first action they should take is to request a copy of their credit file. It may be that they have problems of their own. However, if they find information concerning another individual on their file, they can request that it is corrected as described above. Read what to do if you want to create a disassociation on your file and are leaving home, divorcing or separating.

Will I Be Blacklisted For Ever?
    The answer to this is no. However, if you have experienced problems especially with the repayment of credit you will normally have to resolve this before lenders are prepared to give you additional credit. Different loan and credit card companies have different lending criteria. Some will only look at the recent past history while others will look back much further. Others will be willing to lend despite recent repayment difficulties. It is useful to realise that even if you have had problems with repaying unsecured debt such as a personal loan or credit card, this should not preclude you from taking a mortgage. There are many mortgage lenders who will provide a mortgage without the need for a “squeaky clean” credit file. However, their charges and rates may be higher than a standard high street lender.

Can My Rating Be Repaired?
    There are a number of companies who claim to be able to repair poor credit ratings. Be very careful of such claims (and beware of bogus credit repair companies). The only way to improve your credit rating is to resolve any issues with your current lenders. This will mean undertaking some kind of debt repayment or settlement plan. The credit reference agencies will normally not make changes to your file without the agreement of the current lenders that the change is factually correct. Find out how to repair your credit file yourself here.

http://www.debt-help-uk.org.uk/blacklisted.asp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohmygosh wrote:
    Ste have a read very useful :)

Correcting Your Credit File
    If you think that any of the information you have been sent by the credit reference agency is wrong, you can ask for it to be corrected or removed from the file. You need to write to the agency telling them what you want them to do. You should explain why you think the information is wrong. Click here for more information on repairing your credit history and credit repair.

If you write to the agency in this way, they have to reply within 28 days. Their answer will tell you whether they have corrected the information, removed it from their file or done nothing. If the file has been corrected, you will get a copy of the entry. If the reply states that the agency has done nothing or if the information is corrected but you remain unhappy with the correction you can write your own note of correction (no more than 200 words) clearly explaining why you think the information is wrong and ask for it to be included on the file.

If the credit reference agency has not written to you within 28 days or has refused to add your note of correction, you can appeal to the Information Commissioner. If you want to do this, you will have to write to:

The Information Commissioner Wycliffe House, Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire. SK9 5AF
    When you write, you must give the following details:
    a) Your full name and address
    b) Name and address of credit reference agency
    c) Copy of the note of correction
    d) Details of the information you think is wrong including:

Why you think it is wrong

Why you think you are likely to suffer because it is wrong

The date when you send the note of correction
    Facts About Blacklisting
    Will Other Members of My Family Be Affected? If you have had problems with repaying your debt, this should not affect other members of your family or other people who you live when they try to gain credit for themselves (unless they are also named as responsible for your debt). However, where people are living at the same address and particularly where they have the same surname, it is possible for information about one individual to be mixed up with another’s credit file. If people that you live with have been refused credit, the first action they should take is to request a copy of their credit file. It may be that they have problems of their own. However, if they find information concerning another individual on their file, they can request that it is corrected as described above. Read what to do if you want to create a disassociation on your file and are leaving home, divorcing or separating.

Will I Be Blacklisted For Ever?
    The answer to this is no. However, if you have experienced problems especially with the repayment of credit you will normally have to resolve this before lenders are prepared to give you additional credit. Different loan and credit card companies have different lending criteria. Some will only look at the recent past history while others will look back much further. Others will be willing to lend despite recent repayment difficulties. It is useful to realise that even if you have had problems with repaying unsecured debt such as a personal loan or credit card, this should not preclude you from taking a mortgage. There are many mortgage lenders who will provide a mortgage without the need for a “squeaky clean” credit file. However, their charges and rates may be higher than a standard high street lender.

Can My Rating Be Repaired?
    There are a number of companies who claim to be able to repair poor credit ratings. Be very careful of such claims (and beware of bogus credit repair companies). The only way to improve your credit rating is to resolve any issues with your current lenders. This will mean undertaking some kind of debt repayment or settlement plan. The credit reference agencies will normally not make changes to your file without the agreement of the current lenders that the change is factually correct. Find out how to repair your credit file yourself here.

http://www.debt-help-uk.org.uk/blacklisted.asp

How responsible of a debt management company to reiterate the myth about "blacklisting" :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    that is not what they are doing that's the spin you have put on it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I repeat again - there is no such thing as people or houses being blacklisted.

It does not happen.

They certainly did when I was involved with the credit industry, what's changed?
    Forum Member
    Rebel MC wrote:
    They certainly did when I was involved with the credit industry, what's changed?

never fear Rebel MC I think TT is just being a bit of a pedant. Essentially there is no such thing as a list with names on it BUT the word is commonly used and people know what the meaning is behind it i.e. most people are aware that there is not a big old list written in black pen with loads and loads and loads of names on it :rolleyes: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohmygosh wrote:
    never fear Rebel MC I think TT is just being a bit of a pedant. Essentially there is no such thing as a list with names on it BUT the word is commonly used and people know what the meaning is behind it i.e. most people are aware that there is not a big old list written in black pen with loads and loads and loads of names on it :rolleyes: :D

Well I did think TT was just unneccessarily showing off a superior knowledge of the OED, but it's certainly the case that an initial credit reference search can flag up an address as a credit black hole, not to be entered at any cost; that's good enough to warrant the term 'blacklist' for most people.
    Forum Member
    Rebel MC wrote:
    Well I did think TT was just unneccessarily showing off a superior knowledge of the OED, but it's certainly the case that an initial credit reference search can flag up an address as a credit black hole, not to be entered at any cost; that's good enough to warrant the term 'blacklist' for most people.

exactly! Like I posted earlier I encountered this when attempting to get credit at same address as my dad who had bad debts. As soon as I disassociated myself financially from him I was fine :)
    Forum Member
    My neighbours also have the same surname as our family (mad, I know!)

We've received bills for them, but that was a post problem - the address was still theirs. The thing is, we live at number 4, and they live at number 2. Even though we're detached from them, they're still next door. I hope companies don't think we're two houses in one :o

I applied for a copy of my credit report anyway (online! I never knew you could - the reason I never done it sooner was because I was being a bit lazy and didn't buy an envelope and stamp :o).

So... I just hope there's loads of my dads stuff on there, so I can clear it off.

Thanks for the help, people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ste... wrote:
    My neighbours also have the same surname as our family (mad, I know!)

We've received bills for them, but that was a post problem - the address was still theirs. The thing is, we live at number 4, and they live at number 2. Even though we're detached from them, they're still next door. I hope companies don't think we're two houses in one :o

I applied for a copy of my credit report anyway (online! I never knew you could - the reason I never done it sooner was because I was being a bit lazy and didn't buy an envelope and stamp :o).

So... I just hope there's loads of my dads stuff on there, so I can clear it off.

Thanks for the help, people.

Trouble is, people often put 2 and 2 together and make 5.

I think I replied to an earlier thread of yours (you'd been turned down when you tried to strap yourself for a games console or something), and I said then that I used to work as an underwriter.

I was working for a fast track mortgage company and I used to take the telephone applications and then do the credit searches; some of the other underwriters just did the initial credit search and, if it came up negative, they just turned you down, hence, you've been blacklisted.

I used to make a point of paying attention to the caller and use my experience of dealing with people to make a judgement; if the search was poor and I thought the caller seemed genuine, I would go deeper than an initial search, and often found there was no problem, and I taught my team to do the same.

My section had no higher 'knock' rate than any other.
    Forum Member
    Yeah. It was for a laptop - at that point, I thought it was my student addresses affecting me (since I've lived at 4 separate addresses - this one inclusive - over 3 years).

Now, it could be a problem with mixed up credit records. I hope it's the latter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the two things go hand in hand, and most underwriters are too lazy/pressured to bother to take time do proper searches.

Be prepared for a bit of a wait, but make sure all your paperwork is present and correct and you will get it sorted eventually.
    Forum Member
    Well, when I applied it was online, so a computer would have seen any flags and said "NO!" straight away. I guess I'll speak to a human next time!