Question about HD Monitors

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking for a HD monitor for my new PC. I assumed I needed 1920x1080, but Ive been told that the following may also be HD...

1280 x 1024
1440 x 900
1680 x 1050

Now Im confused. How do I know which one would be suitable for me?

It might halp if I explain what I need it for. Firstly, I'm looking at a screen which is about min. 21" (max. 23") due to space restrictions

It wont be used for any gaming at all, but normal internet browsing use, word processing & viewing HD/Bluray movies.

What resolution do I need to suit my needs. Thanks

Comments

• tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to watch blu-ray movies in full resolution, then you'll need a monitor that is 1920x1080 as a minimum.

Most PC monitors that can do this are likely to be 1920x1200, and that'll be fine.
    I assumed I needed 1920x1080, but Ive been told that the following may also be HD...

1280 x 1024
    1440 x 900
    1680 x 1050
    1280x1024 is a 5:4 screen ratio, and the usual resolution for cheaper monitors, it isn't HD (unless you're going to watch 720p, which is rare in the UK), and isn't widescreen.

1440x900 and 1680x1050 are both widescreen resolutions, (16x10), but won't show a full HD movie without scaling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    If you want to watch blu-ray movies in full resolution, then you'll need a monitor that is 1920x1080 as a minimum.

Most PC monitors that can do this are likely to be 1920x1200, and that'll be fine.

1280x1024 is a 5:4 screen ratio, and the usual resolution for cheaper monitors, it isn't HD (unless you're going to watch 720p, which is rare in the UK), and isn't widescreen.

1440x900 and 1680x1050 are both widescreen resolutions, (16x10), but won't show a full HD movie without scaling.

Thanks, thats a fair bit to take in, but I'll take my time!

Will a 21"-23" screen be fine with 1920x1080? Ive read on this forum some people saying you need a bigger monitor screen (which is far too big & expensive for my needs)
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, thats a fair bit to take in, but I'll take my time!

Will a 21"-23" screen be fine with 1920x1080? Ive read on this forum some people saying you need a bigger monitor screen (which is far too big & expensive for my needs)

I have a 23" 1920x1080 HD monitor (Asus VE247H LED LCD 23.6" HDMI) and it is brilliant :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers annie!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final question, even though my desktop PC has an HDMI out, if the HD monitor only has VGA, will it still give me a HD picture via VGA cable or something inferior?

I know if you connect a Sky HD box to a HD TV via scart, you get a crappy picture!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Final question, even though my desktop PC has an HDMI out, if the HD monitor only has VGA, will it still give me a HD picture via VGA cable or something inferior?

I know if you connect a Sky HD box to a HD TV via scart, you get a crappy picture!

You could use VGA but I would not use that as it is very old analogue tech.

You should be aiming for HDMI and if you cannot use that then DVI is the next on the list, VGA comes way down the list after DVI.

If you want to view bluray then you will need HDMI as blurays are protected and need HDCP IIRC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVI carries both audio & video?

Why would manufacturers make HD monitors without DVI or HDMI? Oh well, at least I now knw these things. Thanks again annie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVI carries both audio & video?

Why would manufacturers make HD monitors without DVI or HDMI? Oh well, at least I now knw these things. Thanks again annie

HDMI has audio and video, DVI is video only as is VGA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    HDMI has audio and video, DVI is video only as is VGA.

OK, so I need to connect additional cables from my desktop to PC monitor to get the audio if using DVI?

My current PC is connected to a monitor via VGA and no other cable to get audio.

Or do you mean if I was to connect my PC to a TV??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so I need to connect additional cables from my desktop to PC monitor to get the audio if using DVI?

My current PC is connected to a monitor via VGA and no other cable to get audio.

But does you PC use your monitors speakers? or does you PC have separate speakers?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You will not get audio out of any integrated speakers on a monitor using either VGA or DVI alone. You would have to connect a separate cable for the audio.

I would not worry too much about this. It is fairly easy these days to find a monitor with HDMI. For example, first hit on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24B300HL-23-6-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0077L2LAC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But does you PC use your monitors speakers? or does you PC have separate speakers?

:o Seperate :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o Seperate :o

Ah, then is is irrelevant if the video cable supports audio :) unless you want to use a monitors built-in speakers.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1920x1080 monitors aren't really panels designed for computer monitors as they are in the TV ratio of 16:9. As production is setup to produce more panels for TV screens than monitors its just a way of saving money (plus for the average person saying its 1080p is a major selling point)

Widescreen computer monitors should really be in a 16:10 ratio so you are looking at more a 1980x1200 resolution to be ideal. While it may seem a minor difference it does make a difference when working on the computer as its more 'document' friendly than 16:9 which is more 'film' friendly.

16:10's however can be more expensive so it comes down to deciding if the extra money is worth more natural monitor resolution
  • pavierpavier Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to emphasize what annie mentioned, you must ensure any monitor you purchase is HDCP compliant (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). If it isn't it won't display any blu ray content even if it's 1920X1080p.
    HDCP won't work over a vga connection, so that's a non starter. HDMI or DVI is the way to go, but even then check that HDCP compliance is stated in the specs.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could use VGA but I would not use that as it is very old analogue tech.

You should be aiming for HDMI and if you cannot use that then DVI is the next on the list, VGA comes way down the list after DVI.

If you want to view bluray then you will need HDMI as blurays are protected and need HDCP IIRC.

sorry, but nothing wrong with VGA, we have CAD workstations with much higher resolutions then VGA and the picture is just fine.

PC can also playback bluray at full hd via VGA, AFAIK HDCP does not apply to analogue signals.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1920 x 1080 would do you and is very standard these days. They go down to 22" screens.

All those others you mention are different aspect ratios, or less common resolutions. Some people may like them.

In fact with a 1920 x 1080 resolution you could use all those other resolutions you listed with a black area around anyway. So to me the others are a rather pointless purchase.

What you need to look for are 1920 x 1080, 22"(or near) along with inputs VGA(D-Sub), DVI, HDMI as a minimum along with HDCP compliance.

Some come with built in speakers but only the HDMI carries that, however you can connect the audio by other leads.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member

VGA is just as capable of HD as HDMI or DVI, it's EXTREMELY unlikely that you would be able to see any difference whatsoever (and VGA is just as likely to be the best, as either of the others).

HDMI and Digital DVI are exactly the same, except DVI doesn't have sound - just as Analogue DVI and VGA are exactly the same, but neither have sound.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pavier wrote: »
    Just to emphasize what annie mentioned, you must ensure any monitor you purchase is HDCP compliant (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). If it isn't it won't display any blu ray content even if it's 1920X1080p.
    HDCP won't work over a vga connection, so that's a non starter. HDMI or DVI is the way to go, but even then check that HDCP compliance is stated in the specs.

Not true, firstly HDCP is optional. Not every source (sky, blu-ray, etc) requests its all the time. There are plenty of blu-ray movies that don't request it and plenty of HD sky transmissions that don't and AFAIK no x360 or ps3 games that do.

Second if your source does request HDCP and your display unit is not compatible then you still get a picture but reduced to SD, Not as you suggest failing to play back completely.

Finally as I said before, you can get a perfectly fine HD picture over VGA and HDCP does not apply to VGA.
  • pavierpavier Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Not true, firstly HDCP is optional. Not every source (sky, blu-ray, etc) requests its all the time. There are plenty of blu-ray movies that don't request it and plenty of HD sky transmissions that don't and AFAIK no x360 or ps3 games that do.

Second if your source does request HDCP and your display unit is not compatible then you still get a picture but reduced to SD, Not as you suggest failing to play back completely.

Finally as I said before, you can get a perfectly fine HD picture over VGA and HDCP does not apply to VGA.

Even if not all blu ray movies have HDCP, (any examples of commercial blu rays without HDCP?) the advice still stands. The OP specifically said they want to watch HD/blu ray movies so why would they go for a non HDCP monitor unless they know they'll only ever watch non HDCP movies?
    And whilst vga can give a good HD picture it doesn't support HDCP so I still say it's a non starter in the OP's case.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    While HDCP may be optional optional AFAIK a Sky HD box will require it ALL the time for ALL HD channels!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    While HDCP may be optional optional AFAIK a Sky HD box will require it ALL the time for ALL HD channels!

As do ALL HD transmissions (and BD's etc.) in the UK.

The requirement on broadcast transmissions is down to the individual channel - the receiver (Sky box, Freesat box etc.) only enables HDCP if it's told to do so
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So to summarise, you are looking for a PC monitor that is at least 1920x1080, 1920x1200 preferable.

If you're sending the PC audio to speakers plugged into the PC, or sending the audio to a HiFi amp from your PC, then the connectivity you need on the monitor is either HDMI or DVI as long as the monitor is HDCP compliant.

Yes, as mentioned you can get HD pictures over VGA, but most Blu-ray software will not let you play Blu-ray movies in HD over a VGA connection, only over an HDCP encrypted HDMI or DVI connection.

You may find it cheaper to get a 23" full-HD LCD TV with HDMI input and plug the PC into that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    So to summarise, you are looking for a PC monitor that is at least 1920x1080, 1920x1200 preferable.

That's just a matter of opinion, 1920 x 1080 is absolutely fine for a computer monitor and in fact, it is supplanting the older standard of 1920 x 1200 especially at the lower end. For a dual-use screen (computer or HD video) 1920 x 1080 is perfect - and usually better value for money.
    You may find it cheaper to get a 23" full-HD LCD TV

I'll just add one thing for the O/P that I haven't seen mentioned so far. Text size!

To get the same physical size of text by default, as you would get on a 1024 x 768 old-style monitor of say 19 inches, a 1920 x 1080 monitor needs to have 27 or 28 inches diagonal. If not, default text sizes will be tiny and will be annoying for some people. This would force you to down-scale the resolution and then, you'd lose the whole point of having a full HD monitor. So if tiny text might be an issue for you (O/P) you may as well save some money and get a lower resolution screen in the first place... ;)

The best way to decide on the text-size issue is to try it out at length in other people's homes, or in suitable shops. You can't really do it from the specs or other people's opinions, I'm afraid.