Is there a way to Boost WiFi signal on Sky Router

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
Forum Member
Hello,

Is there anyway to boost the signal on my Sky Router. We have recently bought a new TV cabinet and our girls Nintendo Wii, is now behind less that half and inch of wood.

This now seems to have knackered the WiFi signal to the Wii it is intermittent to non-existant, occasionally it will find the signal but most of the time it does not.

I would like to just boost it I don't really want to take the Wii out of the cabinet (wifey would be not to happy).

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd benefit from a range extender. Many available. Just search for it.
  • ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Hello,

Is there anyway to boost the signal on my Sky Router. We have recently bought a new TV cabinet and our girls Nintendo Wii, is now behind less that half and inch of wood.

This now seems to have knackered the WiFi signal to the Wii it is intermittent to non-existant, occasionally it will find the signal but most of the time it does not.

I would like to just boost it I don't really want to take the Wii out of the cabinet (wifey would be not to happy).

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Try this. Seems silly, but it worked for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    i have to same issue. before i started using sky i was using my own netgear router and could get a decent signal in the back garden. since i started with sky i struggle to get a signal downstairs. I rang sky and asked if i could use my own router, No was the simple answer. CS told me to just try changing the channels till i got a good signal. it improved it slightly. have you tried changing the channel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    You can use your own router, it's not supported by Sky and frowned upon, but it is possible. You can get the username and password from a 'generator' online, just google for it.

K
    Forum Member
    kipster wrote: »
    You can use your own router, it's not supported by Sky and frowned upon, but it is possible. You can get the username and password from a 'generator' online, just google for it.

K

I have been told of people who have used there own routers and have been cut off completely.
  • Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,

I would definitely recommend that you try changing the channel on the Sky Router before paying for any kind of WiFi extender....my iPhone struggled to connect to my Sky Router (when I used the iPhone in my bedroom - in loft space)...I considered investing in an extender device, but then read how changing the default channel on the router sometimes improves the wireless signal...anyway I changed the channel setting from 'Auto' to '12' & it worked a treat! I now have a perfect wireless connection to my iPhone throughout the house & I'm glad I did not bother spending cash on an extender.

To change the channel settings, open a web browser and enter 192.168.0.1 When prompted enter 'Admin' as the username and 'sky' as the password...click on the 'Set Up' tab & then scroll down...you will see a drop down against 'Channel' where you can change the channel number. I seem to recall reading that you are best trying on the highest channel number 1st and if that does not work, try moving down the channel numbers.

Definitely worth a go - there is nothing to loose & it's easy to just switch the channel back to 'Auto'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    aross84 wrote: »
    I have been told of people who have used there own routers and have been cut off completely.
    And you'd be right! It's happening more and more :(
    Forum Member
    FlaminHell wrote: »
    And you'd be right! It's happening more and more :(

Is there any way round it at all?

Have sky said why we cant use our own routers? VM let me use my own netgear
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aross84 wrote: »
    Is there any way round it at all?

Have sky said why we cant use our own routers? VM let me use my own netgear
    They don't have to say why you can't. It's part of the T&C's of the broadband provision and if you don't play ball, you get disconnected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    In addition to what has been said, a different router will not have a greater WiFi output than that of the the Sky router(s) because it is governed by law.

Changing WiFi channel, as suggested earlier, is worth a go but rather than chose the channel randomly, run inSSIDer first so that you can change to channel that is not is use locally and at least 2 away from any that are.
  • viperviper Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I have been using my own router with sky for over 2 years, no problems with sky so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    viper wrote: »
    I have been using my own router with sky for over 2 years, no problems with sky so far.
    That's not to say you're not going to experience problems soon....

As I said above, it's becoming more common for people to be suspended for using a 3rd party router.

Sky are checking more and more often so it's only a matter of time.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to what has been said, a different router will not have a greater WiFi output than that of the the Sky router(s) because it is governed by law.

Not a greater power output no. But a better range yes. If I had been using my old netgear DG834G I definitely and demonstrably get a better rang out of it than the netgear Sky supplied. But of course I'm not using my old router :)

I personally don't have a problem being forced to use Skys equipment, but I am pi**ed off that they disable features in the firmware - one of these being able to use my old netgear to extend the wireless range of the network.

But I guess they can't be arsed to field support call on such configurations with unknown devices. Even though the answer could be a quick "tough luck not our equipment" if things go wrong.
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    Not a greater power output no. But a better range yes. If I had been using my old netgear DG834G I definitely and demonstrably get a better rang out of it than the netgear Sky supplied. But of course I'm not using my old router
    There are are likely to be other reasons for that. (For example: the default WiFi Channel.) If you ask yourself why a manufacturer would deliberately build a device that had less range than another when they all have the same output power, it just doesn't make any business sense.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are are likely to be other reasons for that. (For example: the default WiFi Channel.) If you ask yourself why a manufacturer would deliberately build a device that had less range than another when they all have the same output power, it just doesn't make any business sense.

Same channel. I chose it not to clash with neighbours :)

The only difference I can see is that my DG834G has a stubby aerial, whereas on the Sky box is purely internal.

It doesn't matter which position I put the Sky router in (horizontal, vertical, diagonal!) the wireless range is not as good as my DG834G. It may not be done on purpose, but its there to see.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Search the net and download a free bit of kits called network stumbler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetStumbler

You can see what channel your neighbours are using and avoid those channels
    Forum Member
    Search the net and download a free bit of kits called network stumbler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetStumbler

You can see what channel your neighbours are using and avoid those channels
    Netstumbler is a bit ancient and lacking of function now which is why people recommend the use of inSSIDer.
  • blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one of (these (link)) and it works brilliently and is easy to set up (although don't beleive the stuff about the automatic setup).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    You could always connect your old router to the Sky router by an ethernet cable and then use the old routers WiFi section so you get best of both worlds (turn the Sky routers WiFi section OFF so it doesn't clash). You may have to change the DHCP settings.
  • C8XYC8XY Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dms05 wrote: »
    You could always connect your old router to the Sky router by an ethernet cable and then use the old routers WiFi section so you get best of both worlds (turn the Sky routers WiFi section OFF so it doesn't clash). You may have to change the DHCP settings.

This is what I do, I use an airport extreme (bridged) to run 5ghz dual channel.
    I've installed the Netgear firmware on the sky router for the extra settings and use it to broadcast 2.4ghz (for iPhones)
    You end up with loads more ethernet ports for NAS drives/xbox/ps3/ATV etc etc