The Others

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched this for the first time in about 7 years last night...
It holds up very well...possibly one of the best ghost stories?

The twist is still great and not an obvious one at all....

I'm wondering what the general consensus is of this movie?
Do people like it? Did it scare you at all?

Also I found out that the little girl apparently became addicted to eating biscuits on the set and pilled on the weight...:eek:
Possibly why she hasn't been in anything since?

EDIT:

Quite Sad actually :(

For some years now, Alakina Mann has been plagued with an inability to find acting jobs. Mann has also struggled intensely with her weight and clinical depression.

Whilst filming on the set of The Others, Alakina got notoriously greedy with biscuits in the canteen; a result of both greed and a generous dinnerlady. As a consequence, she gained weight during filming, the result of which was the costume department having to alter the costume to hide the fact that she had done so.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my fav films of all time
    I watch it every halloween and it still freaks me out

I love the setting in just that one house and the constant darkness
    Nicole Kidman actually gives one hell of a performance and it is actually one of my fav performances from a film of all time.
    I love the creepy housekeepers
    The kids are adorable
    Just an amazing film
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I love creepy films like this & The Woman in Black over slasher horrors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed 'The Others', it's an example of slow-paced horror that actually works well, and I much prefer it to the other high-profile ghost films that were released at a similar time.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't wached it in awhile but it remains one of my favourite genre films, as i'm not fan of Horror or Paranormal . It was also a film i think Nicole Kidman does well, convincly playing a mother who is oblivious to her actions.
  • FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superb ghost story. Very creepy throughout.

If you like this then I'd suggest you give The Orphanage a try. It's a spanish language film and has a similar feel, relying more on atmosphere than shocks and gore.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Others" is based on an episode of "Armchair Theatre" from 1970 called, amazingly, "The Others", which I remember vividly.
    The movie expands it and adds a lot of very effective window dressing but it's still recognisable as the same story.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0293890/combined

See also "Voices" (1973).
    www.imdb.com/title/tt0070888/combined

No point letting a good story go to waste.:)
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    "The Others" is based on an episode of "Armchair Theatre" from 1970 called, amazingly, "The Others", which I remember vividly.
    The movie expands it and adds a lot of very effective window dressing but it's still recognisable as the same story.

Well, I didn't know that! I do have vague memories of Armchair Theatre though. Shame they never repeat that series. There was also a good series called "Thriller" that used to be on in the early seventies.
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    I loved it, did not see the ending coming at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved it, never anticipated the ending, Unlike The Sixth Sense and other films similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fantastic film. That and The Sixth Sense are utterly brilliant
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »

Really? Always thought it took its cues from the 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James, later famously filmed as 'The Innocents'.

Didn't do much for me though, but can see its appeal as a handsomely-shot piece of spooky entertainment.

I got the twist pretty early on, but I'll admit the big reveal scene - when Kidman intrudes upon the seance - is a terrific moment that must have given those unawares a fair old jolt.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't usually like this type of movie, but I loved The Others. One of the finest performances of Nicole Kidman's career in my opinion!
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Yeah, a very atmospheric creepy ghost story, good film. Although I did guess the twist about half way through.
  • OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the best twists in a film imo, you're so convinced you know what the plot is and where its going that its really like a bolt out of the blue. I also liked Nicole Kidmans performance too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pretty much all the "dead but don't know it" films like Carnival of Souls, Jacob's Ladder, Sixth Sense and The Others go back to An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce

isn't there a bit where she's waving the shotgun around where you see she's not there? I didn't see it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hated the twist personally... it made the film no longer scary.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    i hated the twist personally... it made the film no longer scary.

I don't think it was meant to be scary. Just creepy and spine-tingling.

Films like Saw are scary, but the others are not.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Films like Saw are scary, but the others are not.

Saw isn't scary, it's just unpleasant.