Lost Mot certificate

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey .Im am majorly stressed out this morning ,a couple of weeks ago i bought a car ,but i've managed to lose the mot certificate ( i suspect my mum has thrown it away in a tidying spree ..) i can't tax the car without it ,and i can't do it online because the '' lovely'' woman at the dvla said insurance takes two weeks:eek: to validate on there system!!?

Is there anyway i can get a replacement mot cerfificate today so i can go to the post office and do it the old fashioned away !? It taken weeks to get the car on road as it ,i cant wait another two weeks! :cry:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    If you take your documents to the Post Office, when they scan the tax reminder, it will show that you have an upto date MOT certificate.
    I will stress though, it is up to the post office if they issue the car tax.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cwmparc wrote: »
    If you take your documents to the Post Office, when they scan the tax reminder, it will show that you have an upto date MOT certificate.
    I will stress though, it is up to the post office if they issue the car tax.

I don't have a reminder ,only the logbook .The Tax ran out at the end of jan ,i only got the logbook on monday :confused:
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    helenj1986 wrote: »
    Hey .Im am majorly stressed out this morning ,a couple of weeks ago i bought a car ,but i've managed to lose the mot certificate ( i suspect my mum has thrown it away in a tidying spree ..) i can't tax the car without it ,and i can't do it online because the '' lovely'' woman at the dvla said insurance takes two weeks:eek: to validate on there system!!?

Is there anyway i can get a replacement mot cerfificate today so i can go to the post office and do it the old fashioned away !? It taken weeks to get the car on road as it ,i cant wait another two weeks! :cry:

Try it online anyway - it'll soon tell you if it cant proceed due to lack of information. I had my car MOT'd in the morning and taxed it online as soon as I got home. What the DVLA probably meant is that it can take up to 2 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    Do you know where the MOT was from? I lost an MOT once, phoned the garage where it was done and they posted me a copy for about £10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All sorted peeps ,crisis averted went to the post office and they just scanned it and wa-la tax disc .Happy Bunny :)
  • NoDiceNoDice Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    helenj1986 wrote: »
    All sorted peeps ,crisis averted went to the post office and they just scanned it and wa-la tax disc .Happy Bunny :)

You will still need to get an MOT certificate though. If you know where it was MOT'd I think they might be able to give you a replacement.
  • darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    else, just get the car MOT'd again.. peace of mind that everything is ok with your new car...
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I really wouldn't worry about getting a copy of the MOT certificate. The only time you are likely to need it is if you intend to sell the car.

If you wish to tax it, as you have already found out, they just use the computer based record, no need to produce the paper certificate.

If the police want to see it, they won't, because they have access to the same computer based information.

Just make a note somewhere you will see it of when the MOT runs out. Remember, unlike tax or insurance, you don't get a reminder in the post.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing you can do if you don't know where it was MOTd, just for anyone else that has a problem and isn't able to solve it that way, is get the previous owners name and address from the registration document and contact them to find out.

I lost an MOT certificate once and needed it to get insurance (in the 1990s so before Labour's obsession with databases began) and wrote to the previous owner. His name sounded really cute too :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I lost my MOT certificate the other week, I went to my partner's garage and had one printed off.. just like that..

Not sure if this is normal procedure but the car wasn't MOT'd there in the first place so it's obviously possible just to do it from your local MOT station - normally there might be a cost, I don't know? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    The exact same thing happened to me, I needed to tax my car but I'd lost my MOT certificate. Although you've taxed your car you still need the certificate, go to any garage which does MOTs, take your log book with you and tell them you've lost your MOT certificate and would like a new one. It'll cost you ten pound but only takes a few minutes.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura is quite correct:
    Replacing lost or damaged MOT certificates

If you have lost or damaged your MOT certificate, you can obtain a duplicate from any MOT Testing Station.

You’ll need to provide the vehicle registration mark and either the original MOT test number or document reference number (shown on the V5C registration certificate issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency).

The maximum fee for a duplicate certificate for a car is £10.00.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why the DVLA said it takes two weeks to update Insurance details. That is surely not correct.? Mine was bought on day one and by day two, it was on the DVLA system and I taxed the car there and then. Direct Line was my insurer and the insurance operator even said it updates overnight as I was stressing about getting the tax in time too.

So try and tax it again online tomorrow.