What's your Christmas movie viewing plan?

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
I stocked up on a bunch of movies over the next few days, I kind of like to have a selection of movies to keep me going for a few days (certainly would never rely on TV for entertainment these days).

So these are the movies I got recently...probably a bit of an eccentric selection...

Total Recall remake (actually a replacement blu ray, had sound dropout problems with the first version, and still seees to be happening on, so have not really been able towatch it properly)

Stolen - Nic Cage kidnap drama

Resident Evil Retribution

Sometimes a Great Notion - obscure but highly regarded drama directed by Paul Newman.

The Outfit - excellent 70's mafia thriller with Robert Duvall, Joe Don Baker.

Prime Cut - another cult 70's thriller with Gene Hackman, Lee Marvin and Sissy Spacek in her first screen role.

Plus series 4 of In The Loop which I have not yet seen on tv, and that's me sorted for christmas.

So what are other peoples movie viewing plans?

Comments

• WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After an abudance of kids films and Christmas ones ( Polar Express, Elf etc etc),

Dark Shadows, Loopers, Glengarry Glenn Ross, Dredd.. then at the pictures, The Hobbit and Reacher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Willbert wrote: »
    After an abudance of kids films and Christmas ones ( Polar Express, Elf etc etc),

Dark Shadows, Loopers, Glengarry Glenn Ross, Dredd.. then at the pictures, The Hobbit and Reacher.

Looper isn't out till January 31st? (It's out soon or a few days ago in the States though)...
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already have Looper, the US version.

They can sometimes be released on import in the UK a week or so before the actual US street date. In fact most of the movies I bought above are US blu rays and dvd's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I already have Looper, the US version.

They can sometimes be released on import in the UK a week or so before the actual US street date. In fact most of the movies I bought above are US blu rays and dvd's.

I assumed he'd have imported it, I was just asking...

I tend not to import stuff unless I have/want to, and since the bonus features on Looper are almost identical, but we get better artwork and a steelbook, I don't mind waiting...
  • SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomo I'm going to watch

The Nightmare Before Christmas BBC2
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit BBC2
    Home Alone 2 CH4
    Lady and the Tramp BBC1
    A Christmas Carol BBC1
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I've bought myself:

Elf
    Prometheus
    Amazing Spider Man
    Brave
    Arthur Christmas

And I've finally got the Star Wars trilogy on BR so I'm going to start on that today! :)
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night watched the Return of the Jedi BR while I cleared our spare room for Christmas guests, put me in a really good mood until the revised ending song and Hayden Christiansen's stupid, inane, "can't believe I've lucked out and elbowed my way in to such an iconic scene" grin.

Tonight while I do the rest of the house I may go for Alien or Return Of The King, or something else, not sure what.

Christmas eve with the missus wrapping presents will probably go with Mary Poppins or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Christmas day morning with my nieces may end up being something like High School Musical, or Twilight, or One Direction the movie (if that even exists yet). Later in the day once I get home I'm hoping for Prometheus or The Dark Knight Rises.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad Max 2 yesterday
    The Terminator today (new Blu Ray version looks great, big improvement over the previous version)
    Batman Returns on Christmas Eve
    Not sure about Christmas Day, probably whatever OH wants to watch (if anything at all).
    Then from Boxing Day to Hogmany; I'm undecided between The LotR EE trilogy (a disc per night) or the Avengers Phase 1 movies (x6).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am planning on watching:

- Big Bang Theory Season 6 (I have been recording this from E4)
    - Dr Who Christmas Special
    - whatever takes my fancy on Love Films or my DVD/Blu-ray collection
    - if I can get hold of it, I will watch Dredd too.
    - I am also working through The Shield so I will watch this too.

Sorry, this has ended up being more about series than films! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    well i watch the soaps first :D Then when im ready for bed, bathed etc, i will settle down and watch one of my horror dvd's..nice :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope for the best from Sky. Be disappointed. Find a re-run of a Die Hard and/or a Terminator somewhere on cable.

Check on here and the Film 4 listings for hope.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    My Christmas isn't complete without at least one viewing of Muppet Christmas Carol, the definitive Christmas movie for me.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Christmas isn't complete without at least one viewing of Muppet Christmas Carol, the definitive Christmas movie for me.

I second that!

Love the original Alistair Sim verson, but as a new take on the story this one is very good indeed.

Caine is excellent as Scrooge, and the story is pretty faithful to the original, with those signature Muppet touches.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved that film.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its on tv tomorrow at 11am on channel four :D
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone going for the marathon on Christmas Day?

9:00am - 1:15pm: Gone With The Wind
    1:15pm - 5:25pm: Ben Hur

15 minutes to have your dinner and then

5:40pm - 9:00pm: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Twelve hours, three films.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Got certain films in my collection that are my traditional Christmas movies:
    Zulu
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Guns of Navarone
    The Magnificent Seven
    Goldfinger
    Die Hard
    Horse Feathers
    Duck Soup
    Forum Member
    I stocked up on a bunch of movies over the next few days, I kind of like to have a selection of movies to keep me going for a few days (certainly would never rely on TV for entertainment these days).

So these are the movies I got recently...probably a bit of an eccentric selection...

Total Recall remake (actually a replacement blu ray, had sound dropout problems with the first version, and still seees to be happening on, so have not really been able towatch it properly)

Stolen - Nic Cage kidnap drama

Resident Evil Retribution

Sometimes a Great Notion - obscure but highly regarded drama directed by Paul Newman.

Prime Cut - another cult 70's thriller with Gene Hackman, Lee Marvin and Sissy Spacek in her first screen role

Plus series 4 of In The Loop which I have not yet seen on tv, and that's me sorted for christmas.

So what are other peoples movie viewing plans?

Excellent choice!
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monty Pythons' Life Of Brian on Christmas Day ! :D
    Forum Member
    Monty Pythons' Life Of Brian on Christmas Day ! :D

Blasphemer! :D
  • OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    Just about to watch Die Hard. Christmas doesn't officially start for me without John McClaine. Merry Christmas everyone! :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Television is banned until 27th Dec.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone going for the marathon on Christmas Day?

9:00am - 1:15pm: Gone With The Wind
    1:15pm - 5:25pm: Ben Hur

15 minutes to have your dinner and then

5:40pm - 9:00pm: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Twelve hours, three films.

Great films but think i'll pass:D
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I'm going through the Christmas films/shows I watch every year. So far I've had Elf, Nightmare Before Christmas, the Christmas episode of Bottom, and currently watching Muppet Christmas Carol.

Over the next few days I'll watch Jingle All The Way (will have to find it online as I don't think it's on tv this year), Die Hard, the Xmas episode of The Royle Family, and Blackadder's Christmas Carol.
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first two Die Hards this afternoon for me.