Golden Virginia

PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a pouch of baccy a week back now (no receipt) and it tastes vile. I have had 2 out of the packet, and the taste stays in my mouth and makes me feel a little ill.

Not quite sure whether to just bin the pouch or what ? Any ideas ?

Has anyone else had a dodgy pack, and what did you do.

P.s. - I give it 3 posts before someone tells me that smoking is vile :cool:

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it tastes weird, bin it.

Oh, by the way, smoking is vile.

;)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it tastes weird, bin it.

Oh, by the way, smoking is vile.

;)

Lol - you beat my bet !!!

yeah, I know i should bin it, but its the cost that sticks in my throat (literally).
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it isn't a duty free pack ?
    I know a newsagent that sells D/Free on the side so your shop maybe cashing in as well.
  • denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Send it back to Imperial the manufacturers at "Golden Virginia, PO Box 83, Nottingham, NG7 5PR" or call them on freephone 0800 2321170, with your details and where and when it was bought, they will test it to check if there's a problem and refund/replace the pouch if appropriate, it could be poisonous counter feit run up in China somewhere, so you could be saving someones life, plus Imperial are geared up to deal with such complaints and look in to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I will send it to Nottingham then. Good plan.

I bought it from my local newsagents, but i didn't get a receipt so I can't prove it. There is nothing on the packet to state that it is counterfeit, but then i guess the point is that its hard to tell the difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a report of a recent court case involving a shopkeeper who was selling counterfeit tobacco products, Norfolk County Council Trading Standards gives the following advice:
    In order to avoid counterfeit tobacco, Trading Standards Officers advise:

- If you're offered cigarettes anywhere that isn't a licensed shop or bar, they're likely to be counterfeits.

- Look out for spelling mistakes and altered logos on the packaging.

- Look out for foreign safety warnings or no health warnings at all.

- If you've already bought cut-price cigarettes, you may notice that they have an unusual or unexpected taste.
    http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/News/NCC099588

It certainly seems that the last one applies here, but I don't know about the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Lol - you beat my bet !!!

yeah, I know i should bin it, but its the cost that sticks in my throat (literally).

How much does a pouch of this stuff cost? (Purely for my own interest).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A small selection of links to Chinese businesses that can supply "Golden Virginia":

http://www.tootoo.com/buy-golden_virginia_tobacco/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much does a pouch of this stuff cost? (Purely for my own interest).

About £15 I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    In a report of a recent court case involving a shopkeeper who was selling counterfeit tobacco products, Norfolk County Council Trading Standards gives the following advice:

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/News/NCC099588

It certainly seems that the last one applies here, but I don't know about the others.

Thank you - very interesting. It wouldn't be as bad if i did get them cheap. Even if i binned them I wouldn't be too out of pocket. But I paid full whack.
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About £15 I think.

6euros 50cents here, I know I buy for a friend in UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About £15 I think.

Roughly how many **** do you get out of it? (Again, just interested).
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The newsagent I mentioned in my last post (#5) sells the under counter GV at £8.50 for 250gr, no idea how much the kosher stuff is as I don't smoke roll ups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but if it helps I did misread the thread title and thought to myself, thats what you get when you have sex with King Midas.

:mad: no need to be rude, I'm going.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roughly how many **** do you get out of it? (Again, just interested).

A lot. At a guess I would say about 90-100 **** ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If yu think its dodgy contact your local trading standards, should be on your coucil website.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I will send it to Nottingham then. Good plan.

I bought it from my local newsagents, but i didn't get a receipt so I can't prove it. There is nothing on the packet to state that it is counterfeit, but then i guess the point is that its hard to tell the difference.
    LOL there won't be! Counterfeit baccy doesn't advertise the fact 'hey this pack is counterfeit'! You can usually tell if it is by the printwork on the pack.

The only definite counterfeit baccy and cigarettes i've come across were in Poland at Swinoujscie where there is a huge market selling all kinds of counterfeit goods....just yards from the German border!

Marlboro Lights 100s.....£22 a sleeve of 200, but the design looks nothing like genuine Marlboro.

Take 'Denzls' advice and let Imperial have a look at it. As you paid full counter price your Newsagent will be in for a kicking if found it is fake. Shame you didn't keep the receipt so may be worthwhile buying another pack making sure you get a receipt. Without it I doubt there is much that can be done.