Comments

• SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Summer of Arcade coming August 7th

Flashback looks really good.

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/11/xbox-live-summer-of-arcade-titles/

I remember Flashback on the Amiga, looked stunning at the time.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    I love Flashback but I have heard nothing good about the remake. People who liked the original have also slated the remake. No details of why as they are still embargoed.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    ^ I hope that's not true as I have so much love for Flashback. A remake done well would be superb.
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still own this for the mega drive and will be really looking forward to the remake, can't wait :D
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    I love Flashback but I have heard nothing good about the remake. People who liked the original have also slated the remake. No details of why as they are still embargoed.

Review code isn't even available yet so it's not a case of being embargoed, whatever these people you know have seen/playtested could only be early build stuff protected by NDA...
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Review code isn't even available yet so it's not a case of being embargoed, whatever these people you know have seen/playtested could only be early build stuff protected by NDA...

I don't know anyone, these are game writers who have played it at events and yeah, I meant the details were under none disclosure. General impressions were not good but they were unable to specify what they didn't like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone, these are game writers who have played it at events and yeah, I meant the details were under none disclosure. General impressions were not good but they were unable to specify what they didn't like.

Got any links as I wasn't aware any playable code had been touted around as of yet?
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Got any links as I wasn't aware any playable code had been touted around as of yet?

I googled it when you asked but couldn't find a specific story. I know Totilo on Kotaku mentioned it and Patrick Klepek really didn't seem impressed when he mentioned it on a Giant Bomb live stream. I think the event was about a month ago at ubisoft.

It could be they feel okay making vague references on a podcast or stream but would not write up anything specific as previews are likely under NDA as you suggested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I googled it when you asked but couldn't find a specific story. I know Totilo on Kotaku mentioned it and Patrick Klepek really didn't seem impressed when he mentioned it on a Giant Bomb live stream. I think the event was about a month ago at ubisoft.

It could be they feel okay making vague references on a podcast or stream but would not write up anything specific as previews are likely under NDA as you suggested.

There are no solid rules to it but it's mostly early-code which would be behind an NDA as it doesn't necessarily give an accurate depiction of the final product. Preview code might have some stuff specified that can't be discussed or there wouldn't be much point in doing expense paid trips for journos to write previews. It's only when the review code/copies go out for hands-on playing that they slap embargoes on them... even then, I've seen embargoes broken and never heard of legal getting involved. An embargo is more like a gentleman's agreement between two parties rather than a legal requirement like an NDA. Breaking embargo can pi55 off PR bods and publishers, though, but some big sites do tend to flaunt it and just get a slap on the wrist... I've had experience of this :D

Sounds likely that Totilo and Klepek were party to some early FB code at an overall Ubi event that they were covering.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    As a retro fan it pains me to say it but I dunno if anyone's gone back to playing Flashback recently but I have (on Amiga) and I'll be honest, it hasn't aged well. The gameplay is really tedious with all the running back and forth and there's very little combat and what there is suffers from unresponsive controls. These are the facts, back then the high quality graphics, animation and atmosphere were enough to hide it.

So IMO this new Flashback has to be a re-imaging rather than a re-make else it's not gonna be a great game, but it does have so much potential.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a retro fan it pains me to say it but I dunno if anyone's gone back to playing Flashback recently but I have (on Amiga) and I'll be honest, it hasn't aged well. The gameplay is really tedious with all the running back and forth and there's very little combat and what there is suffers from unresponsive controls. These are the facts, back then the high quality graphics, animation and atmosphere were enough to hide it.

So IMO this new Flashback has to be a re-imaging rather than a re-make else it's not gonna be a great game, but it does have so much potential.

I picked up the MD version last December and played through it all again in January and, yeah, unfortunately I agree...