Facebook: How do I stop "Do You Know..." emails?

ZenithZenith Posts: 3,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I often receive emails from Facebook with the title "Do You Know Fred Bloggs, Willy Eckerslike etc. etc.". I assume these people are new friends of friends. These emails are usually sent around 2am, and as I have my smartphone set to receive emails, they are not welcome at this time in the morning.

Looking at my notification settings, I cannot see an obvious way of disabling this type of email. When I first joined Facebook there used to be a long list of notifications that you could tick or untick. That option is no longer there, & the options seem to be severely limited.

The only options I can find are "Only notifications about your account, security and privacy" and "All notifications, except the ones you unsubscribe from", but there's nowhere I can find to unsubscribe from individual notifications.

Also, is it possible to receive email notifications when a friend sends a meesage on Facebook?

Comments

• JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    These emails are usually sent around 2am, and as I have my smartphone set to receive emails, they are not welcome at this time in the morning.
    The worst offender in this respect is Amazon.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a workaround it should be pretty easy to set up a filter to delete these emails when they arrive.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    I often receive emails from Facebook with the title "Do You Know Fred Bloggs, Willy Eckerslike etc. etc.". I assume these people are new friends of friends. These emails are usually sent around 2am, and as I have my smartphone set to receive emails, they are not welcome at this time in the morning.

Can't help with the facebook settings but if it's an android snartphone then the timeriffic app allows you to turn the notification sounds on and off to a schedule so you don't wake you up in the middle of the night
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like there are no options to turn this off then. I find it incredible that the Facebook "improvements" have actually severely restricted the email notification options.

I don't use Facebook that often anyway, so I think I will just turn off all email notifications & have done with it.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received another 2 of these emails yesterday. Something I hadn't noticed before, was that at the bottom of the email there was an "unsubscribe" link. This took me to a page that allowed me to unsubscibe from "people you may know on Facebook". Great.

At the bottom of this page there is a link to "Manage notification settings" This takes me to the notification settings page I refered to in my original post, but the strange thing is, there is definately no links that allow you to get to the page that allows you to unsubscribe from people you may know.

It appears that this page is hidden, and can only be accessed directly from the email.