Hard drive help

Mark glasgowMark glasgow Posts: 78
Forum Member
Hi just been giving a mates old ps3 as the hard drive was corrupted and couldnt be fixed. Is there a specific hard drive i must put into the machine and what should i do when i 1st switch it back on?

What are the costs likely to be. Its an original phat 1st day release.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be perfect for you. Just make sure to format it to FAT32 before putting it in your ps3.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorpio-Mobile-Internal-Playstation-Compatible/dp/B0037NYQ6Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364238514&sr=8-3
  • Mark glasgowMark glasgow Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the quick reply is there anything else that i need to get to do this?
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply is there anything else that i need to get to do this?

Might be worth you watching this :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSytaL9hnI
  • Mark glasgowMark glasgow Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Might be worth you watching this :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSytaL9hnI

Thanks for this im sure this will do the trick
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest a Samsung Spinpoint M8 over any Western Digital HDD. You can get a 1TB for around £58 on Amazon which is a very good price (probably the lowest it has been in nearly 2yrs) and it's 9.5mm thick which is the thickest size the PS3 supports. You could try Overclockers or Scan as similarly priced alternative retailers.

As the PS3 isn't a Slim, there's no need to format the HDD to FAT32 before you put it in. The firmware is stored internally and will prompt you to format the HDD when you turn it on. You can then update the firmware if necessary (v4.40 came out last week) once the formatting has finished.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    If the firmware version on it is 3.55 or below I'd strongly recommend looking into installing custom firmware, it makes the console miles more useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Conroy wrote: »
    I would suggest a Samsung Spinpoint M8 over any Western Digital HDD.

Could you tell me why this is? Any particular reason? I was thinking of getting a 1tb.
    Thanks
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you tell me why this is? Any particular reason? I was thinking of getting a 1tb.
    Thanks
    Personally I've just never been a fan of WD, but that's going back about 10yrs with the performance and reliability of their HDDs compared to others such as Seagate and Maxtor.

More recently, there were a few problems with WD 2.5" SATAs which caused constant stuttering playback with iPlayer due to some kind of battery saving efficiency mechanism. This benefited laptops but not the PS3.

It is possible that this problem has been resolved with newer WD drives but I've had experience with 3 Samsung capacities in the PS3 (256GB, 512GB & 1TB) since launch and they have all been problem free. I'm sure others on here will say the same about Samsung drives too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    At the moment I've a Seagate drive installed which I put in myself a couple years back. It's never give me any problems what so ever, however it will soon be full. So a 1tb would be great upgrade for me.

Thanks for the information about the Samsung drives, I'll take them into consideration along with Seagate when buying a drive.

Thanks