Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she say "I know men who would rape you?"

I couldn't make out what she said to her but had a cat on my lap and the remote to rewind it was way out of reach!

I'm inclined to believe Susan is involved but not guilty. The idea of a paedophile ring another poster mentioned earlier is interesting- and that Susan only half knows whats going on. Perhaps she found the body and realised how much that would look if the police were called to the Hut.

Jack is innocent, I'm sure of it. I think the whole underage sex thing is a deliberate grey area- it could have been a matter of months (15 to 16), or, as someone else noted, an offence from the old Age Of Consent for gay sex.

Yes, that is just what she said. It sent shivers down my back. :eek:
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thess wrote: »
    Some interesting theories here and I've been enjoying scrolling through. I thought I would add a few thoughts of my own ... !

Firstly, I don't think it is Jack. IIRC the offence was referred to as 'underage sex' and it was only the villagers who passed this information around as being related to children. If we assume that the offence took place sometime before 2001 then it is possible that he was having a gay relationship with an18, 19, or even a 20 year old. The last piece of information in Monday's bit of the jigsaw, was that another police force found similarities with a murder 15 years before in an area where Jack used to live. My theory is that he was hounded out of that village because of his past offence and his anger towards the journalist is because he can see it might happen again.

I find the theory of Ellie's husbad intriguing.

If I were writing something like this I would try to think of what would cause the maximum amount of devastation when the killer is revealed. Ellie is close to the Latimers and is already feeling emotionally charged. If her hubby was the killer then she would definitely have double the devastation. He is also, I think, the only character whom we have seen in a consistently good light and appears to have no nasty secret agenda - he just keeps on trucking, looking after house and home. It's always the quiet ones though innit, that slip under the radar ....

For what it's worth, I think it's Ellie's son, Tom, who has killed Danny. I think it will have been an accident and I think an adult has helped him cover it up and make it look like suicide or murder and I reckon that adult is his Dad.

Dan Dan Daaaaaaahn! :eek:

I agree, maximum impact (in the village) would be Ellie's husband. He is definitely well off the radar at the moment!! It does make you wonder if he is involved and if it was to help cover for Tom, that would explain why he would keep it quiet.

Of course though maybe we're just mean't to see him as an extension of Ellie and why she seems very content with her lot in life. But the more we see him being Mr ever so nice, the more he seems suspect!! I did wonder if Hardy saying about him being a bad liar, had any relevance, or whether it was just meant to show a more joking side to him!!

I suppose realistically, it still could be anyone. We know that Danny went out and no one seems to really have a decent alibi, not even the dad, he could've seen some dodgy dealings going on, which could involve anyone!!!

Though I assume he wasn't murdered on the cliff, so maybe again the hut is a red herring, unless he was chased from there off the cliff. If he was murdered in or near the hut, why would they bother carrying his body down to the boat? Surely actually throwing him off the cliff would make more sense as that's was what the murderer did seem to want everyone to believe, that it was suicide. It doesn't really make any sense, to carry him off the cliff, stick him in a boat and then dump him on the shore, if they were on the cliff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is just what she said. It sent shivers down my back. :eek:

Pauline Quirk has a very good way of making the menacing very scary. It was such an awful thing to say, which made me think even more, she must have some huge secret she doesn't want outted.
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I have a problem with the grieving family. I lost a daughter, not thankfully by a murder but for months I couldnt function, eat or do any of the things they have this family doing.

It might be said they are in shock but the laughter over the meal, the grandmother acting as if little was different and a roast meal could make any difference, it just isnt like that.

Total heartbreak is what happens, bursting into tears at any item which brings back a memory and the fathers actions were nothing like what it really is like.

I realise it is a TV drama but a bit of research has been missed and the drama is poorer for it.

I agree about Will Mellor as I have never been a fan of his and didnt realise it was him until this week, he was very good indeed.

Sorry for your awful loss Not something you ever get over :(

I too hadn't clocked that it was Will Mellor :eek:

I had forgotten about the farmer's theft, and the cut to the fence overlooking the cliff in the first episode- I wonder if that does have any relevence?

It does seem curious the removal of Danny from the hut (well that part makes sense), then to a boat (but we only have the psychic's word for that- maybe he set it on fire to add weight to his 'visions'), to a different cliff (where we saw him bleeding) to being laid out on a beach (where he would be found quickly). Was he left there to make a statement? Or was he left there so he could be found, as a sort of remorseful act?
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else bored now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its unlikely but Pauline quirkes character could actually be telling the truth when she says they got her name wrong? it happens an awful lot and it seems like a simple explanation for another red herring. i know she's a dodgy character with the rape threat and her wierd meeting with the bald man but I think they're throwing as many curve balls in as possible and I have a feeling she might be.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Anyone else bored now?

Not in the least.

I'm so grateful for a slow burning drama, rather than one that patronizes viewers by having neat little plot conclusions every episodes, or tries to keep us engrossed with explosions and car chases.

Between this and The Syndicate, I'm really enjoying staying in at the moment!

I found the whole Sunday lunch scene hard to believe- the grandma and sister were just so upbeat, cheery (even flirty?) I found it all a little strange.
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched episode 1 again .
    Anyone any ideas on why all the clocks in the house were stopped ? The alarm clock by the bed reading 3.20 Beth picked up wasn't due to a power failure ?
    Yes the family lunch stuck in my throat as I too have lost a child in tragic circumstances .No way would we have been ready for a family lunch or acting like that .
    I think David Tennant is playing this role in an excellent manner as are all the cast .

Btw I just read this in another site.

From the real life location that is 'Broadchurch'

The local weekly paper has printed Ladbroke's odds on who killed Danny Latimer.

Jack Marshall-1/2
    Susan Wright-3/1
    Rev Peter Coates-6/1
    Nige Carter-7/1
    Beth Latimer-8/1
    Karen White-14/1
    Oliver Stevens-16/1
    Chloe Latimer-16/1
    Tom Miller-16/1
    Maggie Radcliffe-16/1
    Liz Roper-20/1
    Becca Fisher-25/1
    DS Ellie Miller-25/1
    DI Alec Hardy-50/1
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Casmana wrote: »
    I The alarm clock by the bed reading 3.20 Beth picked up wasn't due to a power failure ?
    It wasn't a power failure in the street or area but presumably someone switched it off in the house.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Andy-B wrote: »
    It wasn't a power failure in the street or area but presumably someone switched it off in the house.

It was an analogue clock that had stopped at 3.20am.

The scene with Danny on the cliff at the start (in the dream ?) shows the bedside clock ticking at 3.20am. When Beth wakes up in the morning, the clock has stopped at 3.20am.

She refers to all of the clocks in the house have stopped, and we see the oven clock flashing on 00:00.

So don't know whats going on there.
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I fear for Jack in the next episode, think he is almost certainly not Danny's killer but is now at real risk of being lynched by the townspeople, especially since the press have got wind of his history.

I think a plumber or plumber's mate - and maybe even a plumber's son - would be very well equipped to siphon petrol out of a tractor's tank, and I strongly suspect that that petrol theft does figure in the plot somehow. And I could imagine that the stolen petrol would then be taken to a boat, perhaps the one that does the harbour joyrides promoted by Susan/Elaine.

I don't know whether we should be so sure that the skateboard in Susan/Elaine's cupboard is Danny's. It could be a bright yellow herring.

I wonder whether Alec will survive to the end of the story, or succumb to his mysterious illness so that Ellie has to take over and find her inner detective inspector, or whatever job title it was that she was hoping to get. I hope her happy family life or her comfortable relationship with her community isn't the price she has to pay for that, if so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an analogue clock that had stopped at 3.20am.

The scene with Danny on the cliff at the start (in the dream ?) shows the bedside clock ticking at 3.20am. When Beth wakes up in the morning, the clock has stopped at 3.20am.

She refers to all of the clocks in the house have stopped, and we see the oven clock flashing on 00:00.

So don't know whats going on there.

Yeah they did seem to show the clocks stopping quite a bit. I guess it could be meaningful as in it was the time Danny died and therefore no real relevance to the crime taking place. Or maybe if Danny was snatched from his house, it was turned off so no one could turn on a light and see them. Like many questions, hoped that will be answered at the end. I guess if it's not, it's the meaningful reason!
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Didn't they rule out Danny being snatched with the CCTV?

I'm still pretty sure he was either lured there under a false pretense, or was going to something that had been pre-arranged. Tom definitely knows more than he's saying at the minute (there were lots of meaningful camera shots to him in Ep 4), but I can't think what it would be.

The only thing I am sure of is the innocence of Jack!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jack Marshall-1/2
    Susan Wright-3/1
    Rev Peter Coates-6/1
    Nige Carter-7/1
    Beth Latimer-8/1
    Karen White-14/1
    Oliver Stevens-16/1
    Chloe Latimer-16/1
    Tom Miller-16/1
    Maggie Radcliffe-16/1
    Liz Roper-20/1
    Becca Fisher-25/1
    DS Ellie Miller-25/1
    DI Alec Hardy-50/1

Ellie's husband isn't in this is he? I don't think it's Jack or Susan. I'd go for the rev and Nige, although I think Ellie's husband could be the murderer!

Re CCTV they saw him skateboard off later didn't they and not see him come back? But is the whole place covered in CCTV? Could he have got back in without being seen? I just made that up so could be not the slightest bit relevant at all!!!:D
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    jende wrote: »
    Pauline Quirk has a very good way of making the menacing very scary. It was such an awful thing to say, which made me think even more, she must have some huge secret she doesn't want outted.

It was awful and also beyond any understanding. Even a man saying this would be very, very odd but a woman :eek:

It made me wonder, is there more to this :confused: I'm not sure what exactly but if she's ok with throwing this out as a threat then maybe she is very much part of some kind of abuse scenario, a Rose West type character or she actually knows something about the editor that made it a relevant threat.

There is just something more about that threat.
    Forum Member
    No flies on you tonight, Trev ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was awful and also beyond any understanding. Even a man saying this would be very, very odd but a woman :eek:

It made me wonder, is there more to this :confused: I'm not sure what exactly but if she's ok with throwing this out as a threat then maybe she is very much part of some kind of abuse scenario, a Rose West type character or she actually knows something about the editor that made it a relevant threat.

Well they do seem to be making her very creepy, sinister woman who you wouldn't want to meet down a dark alleyway! Actually even down a lit alleyway!!!

Although she could just be a nasty bit of work and they did get her name wrong on the paper. It seems strange though her with her wrong name, was in the picture with Jack, which means he must know her big dark secret if she has got one!
    Forum Member
    Maybe she just likes skateboarding ...
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member

Jack Marshall-1/2
    Susan Wright-3/1
    Rev Peter Coates-6/1
    Nige Carter-7/1
    Beth Latimer-8/1
    Karen White-14/1
    Oliver Stevens-16/1
    Chloe Latimer-16/1
    Tom Miller-16/1
    Maggie Radcliffe-16/1
    Liz Roper-20/1
    Becca Fisher-25/1
    DS Ellie Miller-25/1
    DI Alec Hardy-50/1[/I]
    Seems like a really stupid odds list, because there's a rule in murder dramas that someone made very obvious NEVER is the killer. And yet their overwhelming favorite is the person made MOST obvious? Oh come on.
    Forum Member

Hadn't thought of that, maybe she was the woman who Jack had underage sex with!!! (or was raped in the past) It would then be why Ollie found out about Jack's past offence before the police?
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Maybe she just likes skateboarding ...

:D
    Forum Member
    Another idea...We are assuming that the boy we see from behind with the dripping hand is Danny- what if that was Tom? That could go 2 ways as well. Re the joyridden tractor, and the cut fence: we do know that someone stood there (forensics ep 1) and there was the stolen fuel (which presumably was agricultural fuel and thus would be red) so are we mistaking the boy stood by the cliff with the dripping hand for Danny/murder?

Had Tom done the deed (which I don't think he did) then surely he'd have deleted files before he waas told by his parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    We are a bit suspicious of the male reporter is it Ollie?
    Tom knows an awful lot more than he's letting on.
    We think the Jack story is a red herring.
    Pauline Quirke is very scary (brilliant acting)
    The drug story seems to have gone a bit quiet but it will reappear.
    Really enjoying it!
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting... I never thought of looking at it that way. Maybe there's a bit of history between them. Are they the same age?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minkski wrote: »
    Another idea...We are assuming that the boy we see from behind with the dripping hand is Danny- what if that was Tom? That could go 2 ways as well. Re the joyridden tractor, and the cut fence: we do know that someone stood there (forensics ep 1) and there was the stolen fuel (which presumably was agricultural fuel and thus would be red) so are we mistaking the boy stood by the cliff with the dripping hand for Danny/murder?

Had Tom done the deed (which I don't think he did) then surely he'd have deleted files before he waas told by his parents.

That's what I would have thought....although if it was an accident as someone has suggested, then he could have waited until his mum officially confirmed that Danny was dead, to delete his messages....
    He didn't appear to be in shock, just sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jack Marshall-1/2
    Susan Wright-3/1
    Rev Peter Coates-6/1
    Nige Carter-7/1
    Beth Latimer-8/1
    Karen White-14/1
    Oliver Stevens-16/1
    Chloe Latimer-16/1
    Tom Miller-16/1
    Maggie Radcliffe-16/1
    Liz Roper-20/1
    Becca Fisher-25/1
    DS Ellie Miller-25/1
    DI Alec Hardy-50/1

What?! No Steve 'Psychic' on that list.... He's my main suspect. ;)
This discussion has been closed.