Vista wireless connection problem

FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Got a freshly-rebuilt friend's Vista laptop with wireless problems. It connects to her router okay, but can't get out on to the Internet. A wired network connection works fine.

It's up to date with Windows updates, malware-free, I've tried it with the firewall off and with AV (Avast) disabled, rebooted plenty, reinstalled the wireless driver & software. Cleared out temporary files and temporary Internet files, and checked the hosts file.

Funny thing is that while it has the same behaviour at my house - won't conenct beyond my router - when I try it on our work's wifi access point, it works fine.

Something I've noticed is that in the registry, at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles, it leaves a key for the work WAP but the two home ones don't get an entry. Don't know if this matters, or how to fix if it does - she's clearly got rights to write to that part of the registry as the work SSID appears there.

It could be something to do with the TYPE of wireless network - Public, Private, Work, Home - but I can't figure out what.

Has anyone met this kind of thing before?

I'm thinking of wiping it and reinstalling it but with Windows 7 (have to use Vista drivers as HP haven't produced Win7 ones). Is it possible that that will improve things?

Thanks for all thoughts.

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Can't help with anything else but Windows 7 should definitely improve things. It's what Vista should have been after all and from what I've seen it seems to be a good OS that not many Windows users complain about. *sits back and hopes no flame wars begin*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    *sits back and hopes no flame wars begin*

and here we go again. What you mean is *sits back and hopes I've started flame wars again*

To the OP, when you say it connects to the router fine over wireless can you login to the router from the wireless PC?
    Forum Member
    and here we go again. What you mean is *sits back and hopes I've started flame wars again*

Actually no. I was just stating my opinion. I didn't want the flame wars to start again. *leaves thread*
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP, when you say it connects to the router fine over wireless can you login to the router from the wireless PC?

Good point: Vista informs me it's connected but I've just tried http-ing to the router and it can't see it. It won't even reply to pings. (Plug in the cable and it picks it up straight away.)
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did a fresh install of Windows 7 (isn't that fast compared to previous versions!) and the laptop's picking up the WAPs just like it should.
    Forum Member
    Flufan wrote: »
    Did a fresh install of Windows 7 (isn't that fast compared to previous versions!) and the laptop's picking up the WAPs just like it should.

So that means Vista was the problem then! :p
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I've seen this was on Windows 7 when it corrupted the profile for the wireless connection to the router. Deleting it and readding it worked.
    So that means Vista was the problem then! :p
    Or poor drivers from HP perhaps? Your constant anti-Vista or anti-MS drivel is getting boring now.
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Or poor drivers from HP perhaps? Your constant anti-Vista or anti-MS drivel is getting boring now.

Could have been that too, but I prefer to blame Vista first :p It strangely worked ok with W7 though so was it Vista or the drivers?