Family Tree BBC2

Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
Forum Member
Anyone else see this? A real odd mix, starring Chris O'Dowd and Nina Conti (slightly famous in the UK as a ventriloquist) as brother and sister and written by Christopher "This is Spinal Tap" Guest (with an appearance by fellow Tapper Michael McKean as O'Dowd/Conti's dad). It is a joint HBO/BBC production and aired in the US in May.

It was really odd.

Still available on iPlayer.

Comments

• enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it - didn't find it really odd just a bit quirky and I think may pick up. I will watch the next one to see how it develops.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. Subtle, but not so subtle as to be devoid of laughs.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    I liked it. Subtle, but not so subtle as to be devoid of laughs.

I clearly found it more subtle than you did, since I found it totally devoid of any humour. If the BBC is aiming for a new type of comedy - one without any laughs - then they're certainly succeeding at the moment.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I clearly found it more subtle than you did, since I found it totally devoid of any humour. If the BBC is aiming for a new type of comedy - one without any laughs - then they're certainly succeeding at the moment.

Me too, I switched off after the first part.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicely filmed in annoying blurry vision as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I liked it a lot. It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but then there's only a tiny handful of comedies that are, in my opinion.

I liked the characters, the storyline, and the general quirkiness of it. And Chris O'Dowd was as brilliant as usual.

The actor playing the best friend was doing a total Ricky Gervais impression! I could imagine Ricky playing that part (except he would be the wrong age group now), and I could hear his voice saying a lot of those lines!
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I just caught up with Family Tree and it was quite quirky but I did enjoy it.It will be interesting to see how it develops and is something different from the BBC
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Way behind but just caught this on I-player and thought it was really enjoyable. Brilliantly acted and off-beat. Bits that made me LOL...Tom's spectacularly thick date who thinks Dinosaurs (like the Loch Ness Monster) still exist (in Africa, except for Nessie who might be in Dublin or Edinburgh) and the shot of his sister and Monkey, her ventriloquist doll, working at the counter of a bank 'together'.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Way behind but just caught this on I-player and thought it was really enjoyable. Brilliantly acted and off-beat. Bits that made me LOL...Tom's spectacularly thick date who thinks Dinosaurs (like the Loch Ness Monster) still exist (in Africa, except for Nessie who might be in Dublin or Edinburgh) and the shot of his sister and Monkey, her ventriloquist doll, working at the counter of a bank 'together'.

Just got round to this, part 2 is on tonight btw.
    Yup couple of good sniggers in there, so it'll do for me.
    I've got a massive 'thing' for Nina Conti and find her hugely charming, for some reason.
    It's a shame we won't see the dopey date again, she'd go well with the Dad's second wife.
    Mr Pfister?? and his scenes in a bottle, etc, lots of little giggles in there.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The date bit was good.

It would be interesting to find out how much and what parts are improvised.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The date bit was good.

It would be interesting to find out how much and what parts are improvised.

Family Tree
    Christopher Guest's blog holds the answer, link to the date scene on there too.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also a thread on the USA telly forum, which is confusing ;).
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it last week and thought it was OK...........but I think I might switch and try the new sitcom at 10 on BBC3
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I watched it last week and thought it was OK...........but I think I might switch and try the new sitcom at 10 on BBC3

Is that Badults, I'll give that a miss, looks a bit 'too' silly for me.
    There's a load of online comedy pilots on the BBC Three website, I downloaded them haven't watched them though.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

"Chaos ensues...." Not a good start. And a warning about strong language .... meaning it's not funny, so they've put some swear words in. Always good for a laugh from a certain kind of audience.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Was ok-ish tonight.

Kept trying to work out who his "bone" obsessed date was - eventually realised it was Ellie Taylor from Snog, Marry or Avoid.

Not noticed her large "clavicles" before, I think there's another thread on DS that she deserves a mention on ;)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the Thin Blue Line Parody ;) the salt/clavicle moment got me all hot for a moment. (It may have been her boobs though)

Oh and Avatar the Musical - a smash hit waiting to happen. No doubt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Just watched episode one, deleting episode 2.
    Nina Conti is doing a show not far from where I live. It will be interesting to see if it helps her sell out a small theatre. The last time I looked she wasn't even close to selling 50 tickets.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could do without Conti's turn as a loony vent.

Her recent documentary makes me wonder if she really has got psychological issues with her puppets.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is derivative telly - based on the current fashion for researching family trees. Anglo-US = must feature an Irishman. Watched the first one and thought it was just rubbish, so didn't bother with the 2nd episode.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing about episode 2 was that watching it meant we didn't have to watch the news which I assume was all about the royal baby again.
    Forum Member
    Was ok-ish tonight.

Kept trying to work out who his "bone" obsessed date was - eventually realised it was Ellie Taylor from Snog, Marry or Avoid.

Not noticed her large "clavicles" before, I think there's another thread on DS that she deserves a mention on ;)

Yes, I hadn't noticed them before either.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Loved the Thin Blue Line Parody ;) the salt/clavicle moment got me all hot for a moment. (It may have been her boobs though)

Oh and Avatar the Musical - a smash hit waiting to happen. No doubt.

There was something rather hot about the scene.
    Again, lots of little giggles in there for me, so I'll be back next week.
    The suspended mirror around the old woman's neck, etc, etc.
    We seem to have some running themes, Date and Sitcoms.
    Hope they can work in some more subtle background gags, reminds me of Creature comforts.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could do without Conti's turn as a loony vent.

QUOTE]

Me too, it's really irritating.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful. Shows up Nina Conti's small talent footprint if she has to have a fictional character doing what she does in the real world.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Awful. Shows up Nina Conti's small talent footprint if she has to have a fictional character doing what she does in the real world.

Exactly, well put.

Also, I know it's improvised but O'Dowd seems to play the same character in everything he does.

The tick Oirish accent must be more hindrance than a boon casting wise .