Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 (UK Pace)

Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, so I know it's not started yet on Sky Atlantic, but there's something I wanted to discuss...

*Why* has it not started yet on Sky Atlantic? :confused:

According to Sky Atlantic's Twitter feed, it's not coming to the UK until October... and no date has been confirmed yet.

It started on HBO in the US last Sunday, and past seasons have been shown on Sky Atlantic within a week IIRC, so why the delay this year?

Comments

• Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, I'm not that bothered, it's past it's best IMO, last season was a chore at times to watch.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It's weird that it's not really being mentioned.

It worries me. Because i used to like Bored to Death, and they quietly got rid of that, even though the SA page on facebook told me it would be back earlier this year. It wasn't.

I'm sure BE will ok, though.

The only show they really seem to care about is GoT.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what the programme two posters above me watched... But Season 3 of BE was THE one mate! Cannot wait for season 4.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Past its best? Get a grip.
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't we have episodes of series 3 a few days after the US?
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I don't know what the programme two posters above me watched... But Season 3 of BE was THE one mate! Cannot wait for season 4.

Richard Harrow!!!!

It will also be interesting to see what Nelson Van Alden gets up to in series 4, he's a serious nutter.
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how you have the patience to wait, I've just torrented episode 2.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Past it's best?!
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say past it's best at all. I'd say its one of those shows you need to watch in large chunks rather than an episode a week. It's a slow burner and takes time to develop. Having said that I'm sort of going off the show as to me it just seems a 1920s/30s sopranos.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the last series was the best so far. It cleverly weaves in real life characters such as Eddie Cantor into the plot, as well as political events and the music as well.I think the historical details are what make this such a rich show,
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no date yet from Sky :rolleyes:

The Sky Atlantic Twitter account is still telling people "coming next month... no date yet". They are getting a lot of queries about it every day, and providing no information other than that.

It really is pathetic. I thought that the whole point of Sky Atlantic was to be the "home of US drama", to give us all the HBO dramas and other stuff soon after they're shown in the US.

They have the whole HBO catalogue (minus True Blood), plus Mad Men and other things, and HBO allows its international partners to broadcast their shows within *one week*... so why are we having to wait for over a month for Boardwalk Empire?
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I wouldn't say past it's best at all. I'd say its one of those shows you need to watch in large chunks rather than an episode a week. It's a slow burner and takes time to develop. Having said that I'm sort of going off the show as to me it just seems a 1920s/30s sopranos.

I look at it as the beginning of the gangster era with some real life mob characters weaved in. Without that there wouldn't be a Sopranos series portraying the mob life. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was at the very end of September last year, and early October the year before, so no need to panic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Still no date yet from Sky :rolleyes:

The Sky Atlantic Twitter account is still telling people "coming next month... no date yet". They are getting a lot of queries about it every day, and providing no information other than that.

It really is pathetic. I thought that the whole point of Sky Atlantic was to be the "home of US drama", to give us all the HBO dramas and other stuff soon after they're shown in the US.

They have the whole HBO catalogue (minus True Blood), plus Mad Men and other things, and HBO allows its international partners to broadcast their shows within *one week*... so why are we having to wait for over a month for Boardwalk Empire?

so you can't wait a couple of extra weeks ;)

At least the Sky Atlantic air dates are much much better than when Channel 4 had the HBO shows. They would often show them a year or so after USA transmission (see 'Sopranos' :) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because C4 used to be crap with many US shows is no excuse for Sky to be crap with Boardwalk Empire.

Game of Thrones (HBO) is shown by Sky Atlantic within 1 day of the US.

Mad Men (AMC) is shown by Sky Atlantic within 3 days of the US.

Homeland (Showtime) is shown by C4 within 1 week of the US.

The Walking Dead (AMC) is shown by Fox (FX) within 1 week of the US.

Dexter (Showtime) is shown by Fox (FX) within 1 week of the US. (final season only, they used to be late)

Breaking Bad (AMC) is shown by Netflix UK within 1 day of the US.

Boardwalk Empire (HBO)? Not on Sky Atlantic until over 1 month after the US... Even though Sky has the exclusive rights to almost the whole HBO catalogue and is allowed by HBO to broadcast its shows within 1 week.

There's no excuse for that kind of wait anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because C4 used to be crap with many US shows is no excuse for Sky to be crap with Boardwalk Empire.

Game of Thrones (HBO) is shown by Sky Atlantic within 1 day of the US.

Mad Men (AMC) is shown by Sky Atlantic within 3 days of the US.

Homeland (Showtime) is shown by C4 within 1 week of the US.

The Walking Dead (AMC) is shown by Fox (FX) within 1 week of the US.

Dexter (Showtime) is shown by Fox (FX) within 1 week of the US. (final season only, they used to be late)

Breaking Bad (AMC) is shown by Netflix UK within 1 day of the US.

Boardwalk Empire (HBO)? Not on Sky Atlantic until over 1 month after the US... Even though Sky has the exclusive rights to almost the whole HBO catalogue and is allowed by HBO to broadcast its shows within 1 week.

There's no excuse for that kind of wait anymore.

why dont you email Sky then with that comment ;) Im sure theres a darn good reason Sky are witholding showing BE for a few weeks. It might be marketing, it might have something to do with ratings, advertising demands etc. I guess the only ones who know are Sky themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been bitching at them via Twitter every day, asking for an explanation that goes further than "coming next month".

I had a reply this afternoon, claiming it was because seasons 1-3 are going On Demand from 1st October and they want to "give viewers a chance to catch up" before season 4.

I still think that's a load of arse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been bitching at them via Twitter every day, asking for an explanation that goes further than "coming next month".

I had a reply this afternoon, claiming it was because seasons 1-3 are going On Demand from 1st October and they want to "give viewers a chance to catch up" before season 4.

You're probably right. But sky will take their time for a number of reasons. Maybe advertisers aren't in high demand for the show this month, and they've had to drum up advertising revenue which has taken time. Maybe their marketing needs more time and they don't want to be lost in the sea of Strictly's first show or the Xfactor right now.

As I said, could be anything. :) me personally in happy to wait. This sort of show is best seen on a box set anyway because its such a slow burner.

Try watching the Wire on one show a week and tell me if it makes any sense or if you remember what happened four weeks ago ;)
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    The official Sky Atlantic site actually says "late October" for S4 of BE.

Very disappointing.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    You're probably right. But sky will take their time for a number of reasons. Maybe advertisers aren't in high demand for the show this month, and they've had to drum up advertising revenue which has taken time. Maybe their marketing needs more time and they don't want to be lost in the sea of Strictly's first show or the Xfactor right now.

As I said, could be anything. :) me personally in happy to wait. This sort of show is best seen on a box set anyway because its such a slow burner.

Try watching the Wire on one show a week and tell me if it makes any sense or if you remember what happened four weeks ago ;)

I have and I did. :p
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Anyone know any more on a Air Date?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    We are only just into the Autumn schedules it makes sense to have a popular show like B E later when people are more inclined to stay in & watch TV probably generate more advertising revenue then too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching S3 (within the space of around three days) and it is one of my favourite series of any TV show ever. It's just got better and better.

Why hasn't this been shown on Sky Atlantic yet? I need to watch the episodes of S4 that have aired right now! :D

Fantastic television.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Strange decision in this day and age, They must have lost 10-20% of potential viewers who can't be bothered waiting and made alternative arrangements.

Mind you the adverts on Sky Atlantic mean many people do anyway
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm not that bothered, it's past it's best IMO, last season was a chore at times to watch.

i felt last season was the best, it had sopranos like excitement at times, much mroe "gangster" so to speak.

hope for more of same this time.