Avengers #1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
Anyone read the new issue by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena?

Absolutely brilliant stuff - best single issue I've read this year (I enjoyed it even more than Mark Waid's Hulk relaunch, which was extremely good too).

I've just put my detailed review up here for those that are interested: http://theweekendwednesday.com/2012/12/07/review-avengers-1/

Comments

• scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed reading Avengers #1 and look forward to the rest of the issues. Artwork was stunning and the story was enjoyable. Enjoyed your review too, kinda summed it up nicely.

:) Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Thanks - I've actually just put up a review for #2 now, which I enjoyed almost as much as #1. By far the best Avengers stuff Marvel's put out in a long time (things had gotten very worn out towards the end of Bendis' run):

http://theweekendwednesday.com/2012/12/19/review-avengers-2/
  • Darkwave2Darkwave2 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought #1 was quite poor - not a good start for the post-Bendis era (which was for the most part enjoyable, though as you say running out of steam at the end). But hey, I've been reading and collecting the Avengers for 40 odd years, I'll be sticking with it and hoping it improves.
    Forum Member
    I'm interested to hear the opinion of such a long-term reader - I've only been reading since the early 90's!

What did you not like about #1?

Also, what was your favourite era/creative team for The Avengers?
  • Darkwave2Darkwave2 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cyclone5uk wrote: »
    What did you not like about #1?

The art is fine and the storyline has promise, but to me it feels like a 2 issue story compressed into 1 issue. But the story logic seems off (even for a comic). I realise after the film they had to feature those 6 Avengers, but Earth is attacked from space and millions of people affected... and this is the only reponse (I wouldn't pick Hawkeye or the Black Widow for this mission, or just send one Quinjet)? Then they wait 3+ days to respond after the first failure?

As an aside, I'm not a big fan of bi-weekly - due to funds I only buy 3-5 titles, so to buy this I have to chop something else. Thankfully (hah!) Marvel have made that easy recently. I used to love Thunderbolts and Avengers Academy, but line-up changes at the tail end of T-Bolts and the Marvel Now version made dropping that easy, and Avengers Arena looks like a "reset button" waiting to happen so I can drop that - leaves just Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Avengers.
    cyclone5uk wrote: »
    Also, what was your favourite era/creative team for The Avengers?

Well my favourite issue is #57 (first series) as it introduces the Vision, my favourite superhero - and from then on, any issues with the trio of Vision/Scarlet Witch/Hawkeye will be good for me. What you read first is so often what you like most. Unlike many comic fans I've never taken much notice of writers/artists, but my favourite era would I guess be the 70s (Squadron Supreme/Kree-Skrull war/Avengers-Defenders/Celestial Madonna/Bride Of Ultron/Korvac). But overall the Avengers for me has nearly always been good, with only minor blips.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darkwave2 wrote: »
    Well my favourite issue is #57 (first series) as it introduces the Vision, my favourite superhero - and from then on, any issues with the trio of Vision/Scarlet Witch/Hawkeye will be good for me. What you read first is so often what you like most. Unlike many comic fans I've never taken much notice of writers/artists, but my favourite era would I guess be the 70s (Squadron Supreme/Kree-Skrull war/Avengers-Defenders/Celestial Madonna/Bride Of Ultron/Korvac). But overall the Avengers for me has nearly always been good, with only minor blips.

I think we share a favourite era, though I may have come to it later than you as I was buying the UK editions.

The Vision was my favourite Avenger right from his introduction. The build-up, the back-story, it was all incredible. I'm not going to re-capture that now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone,

Great artwork indeed. ;)
    Forum Member
    If you like Jerome Opena's art, then I heartily recommend Uncanny X-Force Volume 1.