Options

J.J.Abrams is an ass!

artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry, but I've just watched "Super 8" I've tried, and failed misereably in the past, to watch his versions of Star Trek.

WTF is it with his ridiculous obsession with adding stupid "light glares/flares/flashes" onto the screen??? :rolleyes:

It's distracting, annoying and down right crap IMHO.

There you go. I said it.
/rant

Comments

• Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it make him an ass? It makes his directing style annoying, but I wouldn't say he's an ass because of it. It's no different to Spielberg's spotlight fetish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe he is brilliant, loved lost, Super 8, fringe.. Etc
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't resist saying that I too cannot stand anything by this director. I had friends that would rave over Lost, yet every time I attempted to watch it I found it to be nothing more than a nonsensical pile of childish jibberish. People kept saying "oh but you've gotta watch it through to the end, he's got a really great idea for the ending, it will all make sense then." I didn't bother, and when I heard fans were baffled by how it did end, frankly it was no surprise.

I also can't stand other crap he's done on TV like Alias, his films, Mission Impossible 3 was it? God just watching the interviews alone with him and Tom Cruise smugly congratulating one another all the way before the film was even released was a sickening puke fest.

And whilst I am not a Trekkie, I did always respect the intelligence of Star Trek and enjoyed it whenever I have watched it in its various incarnations. This moron degenerated all and turned Star Trek into a brainless juvenile pile of crap that people who like the Transformers films would enjoy. If that's "genius" its not a genius I care for. Apparently the latest one didn't do quite as well as they thought it would. I dunno maybe the problem is people have found him out and don't want to watch reboots that are inferior to the original?

Whatever anybody thinks of George Lucas, he is light years ahead of this clown. Some might say Star Wars has already gone beyond parody anyway, but I genuinely fear how bad he'll make the Star Wars series if he's given enough creative control to do so. At least Lucas had a vision and was inspired by the greats like Akira Kurosawa. JJ Abrams has probably never watched a Kurosawa film or for that matter any film made before he was born, and only seems to be inspired by recent pop culture, hence why all his films are so shallow and bad.

That said compared to the other overrated nerd directors of our era, I'm talking the likes of Joss Whedon and Zack Snyder, he's probably like Shakespeare in contrast to them as they are even more shallow, comic book influenced rather than real literature and creatively bankrupt. He is the best of a talentless bunch, and perhaps his greatest skill is he can charm the Tom Cruises of this world so he keeps getting work.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait to see how much he ****s up Star Wars, i bet they are even worse than Attack of the Clones :cool:
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I reckon Abrams' Star Wars will be about attractive, hip young adults learning the ropes. Their words-of-wisdom elders will be previous cast members, bringing gravitas amidst all the flirting. They all wear tight fitting clothes - think future GAP - and fly spaceships that resemble Apple Stores. The villian has a touch of moody emo goth about them. Possibly a Brit.
  • Options
    David_SteeleDavid_Steele Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I think he is vastly over-rated, but good luck to him. He seems to make money for whoever hires him.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking this about Alfred Hitchcock only last week, putting himself in every film!

Over-rated ass! North by Northwest was tedious and Cary Grant criminally mugging it up, and that Eva Maria-Saint is no Jennifer Lawrence!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    Sorry, but I've just watched "Super 8" I've tried, and failed misereably in the past, to watch his versions of Star Trek.

WTF is it with his ridiculous obsession with adding stupid "light glares/flares/flashes" onto the screen??? :rolleyes:

It's distracting, annoying and down right crap IMHO.

There you go. I said it.
    /rant
    I have a thing about director trademarks. If you can't easily spot them or think it's funny or clever when/if you spot them then fine. A phone number, license plate, room number etc.

It's different with things that are totally in your face like the lens flare. They are just annoying.
  • Options
    Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked any of his TV shows, but I enjoy the modern Star Trek films. Then again, that's probably because I couldn't give a flying one about previous iterations of Star Trek and whether or not the new films are as good as them/faithful to them/whatever.

I won't be watching the new Star Wars movies, because I've only watched one of the other six and that was as boring as sin.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny apart from directing the pilots of lost and fringe he didnt really have much to do with them :/
  • Options
    majorgartmajorgart Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I loved Alias and the original concept of LOST but Super 8 was absolute drivel .
    Abrams more often than not is a producer / creator and not a director so you can't always lay the irritating bits at his feet.
    Lost got lost thanks to the writers.
    The Trek movie was ok and I'm only just reaching the end of the first season of Fringe although even for an X-Files fan this series stretches credibility a bit too far at times.

Thought his Mission Impossible stuff was great even though it started with the irritating idea that he often used in Alias which was to basically start in the middle of the story - stop at an exciting moment then present you with a "48 Hours Earlier" caption so you then take another hour to get to where you started.
    He is talented but he does have some irritating styles
  • Options
    BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    JJ is a GOD leave him alone. The new Star Wars will be better than the prequels by a mile as JJ is a lifelong Star Wars fan so he knows what the public wants.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like some of his things not all of them. When I was younger I really enjoyed Forever Young and I still like Regarding Henry now. I enjoyed Alias although later seasons began to bore me at times.

I have to say that I prefer it when I see written by JJ Abrams rather than Directed but I am not put off by his direction (lens flare can be off putting but I can deal with it :))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Whoop, a slag off the director thread. The constants lens flare jokes on the Star Trek thread were annoying, but this is a pisstake.

Directors should be considered on their ability to tell a story, not whether they like making things shiny...

Tarantino has similar trademark shots used in most of his films, does he slagged off for them? No, he gets celebrated...
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Like most directors, I like some of his stuff and dislike others.

Actually that goes for actors / actresses / singers / etc. etc.

I guess that makes him an ass ...... or human !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I really loved star trek but I hated the series and other movies'....

For allowing muggles this opinion alone j.j. Abrams should be found guilty. The prosecution rests m'lud.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    majorgart wrote: »
    I loved Alias and the original concept of LOST but Super 8 was absolute drivel .
    Abrams more often than not is a producer / creator and not a director so you can't always lay the irritating bits at his feet.
    Lost got lost thanks to the writers.
    The Trek movie was ok and I'm only just reaching the end of the first season of Fringe although even for an X-Files fan this series stretches credibility a bit too far at times.

Thought his Mission Impossible stuff was great even though it started with the irritating idea that he often used in Alias which was to basically start in the middle of the story - stop at an exciting moment then present you with a "48 Hours Earlier" caption so you then take another hour to get to where you started.
    He is talented but he does have some irritating styles

If you think the first season of fringe is like that you should just give up now, it gets even weirder, but IMO it's excellent one of the best sci fi shows in recent memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That said compared to the other overrated nerd directors of our era, I'm talking the likes of Joss Whedon and Zack Snyder, he's probably like Shakespeare in contrast to them as they are even more shallow, comic book influenced rather than real literature and creatively bankrupt. He is the best of a talentless bunch, and perhaps his greatest skill is he can charm the Tom Cruises of this world so he keeps getting work.

Joss Whedon gave us Firefly, Buffy, The Avengers, Dr Horrible and Toy Story. I think he deserves all the credit he gets.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Joss Whedon gave us Firefly, Buffy, The Avengers, Dr Horrible and Toy Story. I think he deserves all the credit he gets.

You know he's not the same person as JJ Abrams, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    You know he's not the same person as JJ Abrams, right?

I was the first person to respond to the OP. My second post was in regards to the person who mentioned Whedon. I should have quoted, but I thought it would be obvious what I was responding to. I'll edit :)
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoop, a slag off the director thread. The constants lens flare jokes on the Star Trek thread were annoying, but this is a pisstake.

Directors should be considered on their ability to tell a story, not whether they like making things shiny...

Tarantino has similar trademark shots used in most of his films, does he slagged off for them? No, he gets celebrated...
    Then perhaps he should stop with the constant OTT lens effects, every time a light or reflection of light is in shot.
    It merely draws your attention away from the "story".

It reminds me of those idiot "documentary" makers who give the camera a false "shake & zoom movement" on purpose to add some sort of effect. The Real Hustle (BBC) is particularly bad at this.

Do these producers/directors sit at home moving their head about like an Alzheimer sufferer all the time when looking at thing?

Probably not. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Funny apart from directing the pilots of lost and fringe he didnt really have much to do with them :/

THIS! I love the way people use Lost as a stick to bash Abrams with when he had little to do with it beyond the initial concept.

I've enjoyed most of Abrams' work, and I think Super 8 is a wonderful film, it must be nice to be in the position JJ finds himself in where he can make a full-budget Hollywood film as a big "Thank You" to Spielberg for everything he did in the 80s.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, Joss Whedon "creatively bankrupt"; that's the greatest thing I've ever read on the internet.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I watched Super 8 last night and fell asleep halfway through. I thought his work on the Trek films was excellent and liked most of Lost but I didn't like Super 8 at all - it was just Cloverfield meets ET.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    Then perhaps he should stop with the constant OTT lens effects, every time a light or reflection of light is in shot.
    It merely draws your attention away from the "story".

It reminds me of those idiot "documentary" makers who give the camera a false "shake & zoom movement" on purpose to add some sort of effect. The Real Hustle (BBC) is particularly bad at this.

Do these producers/directors sit at home moving their head about like an Alzheimer sufferer all the time when looking at thing?

Probably not. :rolleyes:
    Except it doesn't take many other people out of the story, so it maybe it's you not JJ that is the ass....

Super 8 is a critically acclaimed film, and post 2001 every film with J.J. Abrams directing or writing has been critically acclaimed. If the lens flare was that universally distracting, he wouldn't have fans and his films wouldn't be critically acclaimed. Maybe his style is problematic for you, but for most other people it isn't. You're the problem not him...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/jeffrey_abrams/