Nexus 7 (2013) Battery Issues

ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
Forum Member
✭✭
Is the battery life on this shocking for anyone else, or is it just me? It's supposed to be around 9 hours even playing HD video but I went from 80% to 14% yesterday with half an hours gaming and another half an hour of Netflix. What's going on?!

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    gaming is nothing like playing HD video.

the hardware decoders can play hd video with their eyes closed. but gaming, by the nature of the games maxes out everything.

that having been said it still doesn't sound right. what does it say is using the battery?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    gaming is nothing like playing HD video.

the hardware decoders can play hd video with their eyes closed. but gaming, by the nature of the games maxes out everything.

that having been said it still doesn't sound right. what does it say is using the battery?

Screen is at 48% :eek: It's just on over half contrast though.
  • dandydandy Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I find it terrible for gaming I'm lucky if I can play for an hour without it going right down to about 20% full. It spends more time on charge than me using it. Disappointed in the battery.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the 2012 one I get maybe four hours or sometimes even a lot less when 3D gaming. Watching videos and surfing I get around seven. God knows how they get their battery estimates.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dandy wrote: »
    It spends more time on charge than me using it. Disappointed in the battery.

That's exactly how i feel. I thought i'd get at least 2 days worth of battery before having to charge, but since this is my first ever tablet i'm shocked how quickly the battery drains.

I spend more time browsing the internet and reading sites than watching videos/tv and i rarely play any games, but even with browsing it goes from full to down to around 50% or less in the space of a few hours.
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange - I was expecting 10 hours battery life from the review and broadly speaking thats what I get browsing / kindle / email and some gaming (Dosbox)
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    That's exactly how i feel. I thought i'd get at least 2 days worth of battery before having to charge, but since this is my first ever tablet i'm shocked how quickly the battery drains.

I spend more time browsing the internet and reading sites than watching videos/tv and i rarely play any games, but even with browsing it goes from full to down to around 50% or less in the space of a few hours.

Same here. Unlike my works iPad which only gets charged once or twice a week. Other than that it's a brilliant tablet though. :rolleyes:
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    There may be a rogue app at work which is causing the CPU to run at full pelt. What game are you playing which is causing this mammoth drain?
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I still haven't fixed the battery charging/drainage issue with mine. Will do a factory reset me thinks.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 2012 one is forever on charge which is great for a device with a claimed 9 hour battery.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kazzabeee wrote: »
    Same here. Unlike my works iPad which only gets charged once or twice a week. Other than that it's a brilliant tablet though. :rolleyes:

I keep my IPad and IPad touch in a dock . I have found now that the iPod can go from fully charged to 20% in 6 hours without being used (when the power from the dock is switched off)
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    I keep my IPad and IPad touch in a dock . I have found now that the iPod can go from fully charged to 20% in 6 hours without being used (when the power from the dock is switched off)

That doesn't sound right at all. Our 2nd gen iPod touch lasts at least two to three weeks on standby and it's 5 years old! :D

Worth doing a reset? (IIRC iOS 4 caused similar overnight battery drain but it was fixed in an update)
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right at all. Our 2nd gen iPod touch lasts at least two to three weeks on standby and it's 5 years old! :D

Worth doing a reset? (IIRC iOS 4 caused similar overnight battery drain but it was fixed in an update)

Reset doesn't seem to have sorted it , wondering if I've had the Ipod almost permanently on charge (don't take it out of it's dock often )would have caused the problem .I've got 3 now that are now expensive paperweights the one in the dock is probably 2 years old .