IE 9 Hangs "waiting for response from"

I have just replaced my old XP desktop with Windows 7 laptop.
When I go into some websites I get a message at the bottom left of the screen saying Waiting for response from xxxxxx" where xxxx is the website name.
This can sometimes hang like this for about 30 seconds at worst.

Is this something to do with my wireless link to router, a problem with IE9 or is it just a traffic jam on the net.

I know you guys will suggest I change my browser but I would rather not do that.

Comments

• Richard LongRichard Long Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Well peeps here is a first.
    200+ people have read this and it apears no body has an answer or suggestion.

It loos like I'm going to have to try some more self diagnostics.
    Will update if I find anything.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get much the same using Firefox 14 (and previous versions) with BT Infinity running at 37Mbps download speed.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot depends on what the website is it's waiting for. Is it the website you wanted, or is it an advert serving website? If the latter, there are already a couple of threads about this problem.

If it's the website you wanted, then a lot depends on the type of website, the time of day, whether it's popular, or just been heavily advertised, or mentioned in a newspaper or on TV. If it's google or wiki, is there a quiz on TV?

There are many different factors; think of it as owning a 150mph car, but you're on the M25 at 16:30 on a Friday....
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    A lot depends on what the website is it's waiting for. Is it the website you wanted, or is it an advert serving website? If the latter, there are already a couple of threads about this problem.

If it's the website you wanted, then a lot depends on the type of website, the time of day, whether it's popular, or just been heavily advertised, or mentioned in a newspaper or on TV. If it's google or wiki, is there a quiz on TV?

There are many different factors; think of it as owning a 150mph car, but you're on the M25 at 16:30 on a Friday....

Thinking about what you say you may be spot on about the car on the M25.
    I think my old desk top was like a 20mph car on the M25 so its top speed is moving ok with the traffic flow.

My new speedy laptop is now showing how slow the web really is.

Thanks
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Yes, absolutely. I am not particularly bothered about it, it doesn't happen a huge amount, though I have noticed it at times. However, I responded as I did to illustrate that it does not just occur with IE9.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way a browser renders pages may be affecting what you see. I remember a setting in some browser which would show parts of the page as they're received, rather than wait for the whole thing - including whatever part is delayed - without showing anything. Does clicking 'stop' make anything show up?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found the same thing, IE9 (which I rarely use but sometimes a program will open it up when it goes online for something) - I get the same thing, clicking anything makes the PC sort of grey out and you have to wait for it to get itself sorted.

I find it happens much less on Firefox14
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Have you tried the websites at different times during the day/night? Have you tried changing your Internet Options Internet zone Security and Privacy (cookies) settings, or putting the sites in the Trusted zone and see if they load there? Do you have Pop-up Blocker and /or Tracking Protection and /or ActiveX Filtering enabled? Do you have any other software loaded that restricts or blocks content during page loading? Can you post links to a couple of the pages? I use IE9 so I won't suggest that you change your browser!
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    It could be a slow DNS server. you could try GRC's DNS bench mark tool to find a faster DNS server and change your router settings to use the top two found. need to run it a few times to find the most reliable ones.in your area.
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Have you tried the websites at different times during the day/night? Have you tried changing your Internet Options Internet zone Security and Privacy (cookies) settings, or putting the sites in the Trusted zone and see if they load there? Do you have Pop-up Blocker and /or Tracking Protection and /or ActiveX Filtering enabled? Do you have any other software loaded that restricts or blocks content during page loading? Can you post links to a couple of the pages? I use IE9 so I won't suggest that you change your browser!

There are no particular pages that it happens with it is totally random. It even happens with Google.co.uk.

I have just noticed that if I open a tab say to google and then use a second tab all pages come up almost instantly on the second tab but they are still slow on the first tab.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence but Internet Explorer is awful.

Switch to anything else.
    Forum Member
    Vashetti wrote: »
    No offence but Internet Explorer is awful.

Switch to anything else.

When making comments like this please explain why.
    I have never had any problems with IE well none I have been aware of.

Too many people slag off Microsoft products just because they don't like Microsoft.
    At least everything that is Microsoft is compatable.
    How many times do you see a comment not compatable with Google Chrome etc.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    When making comments like this please explain why.
    I have never had any problems with IE well none I have been aware of.

Too many people slag off Microsoft products just because they don't like Microsoft.
    At least everything that is Microsoft is compatable.
    How many times do you see a comment not compatable with Google Chrome etc.

Having to have to use it at work for my first week. Normally with 100's tabs at time. It was a bloody pain, crashes,slow downs, sites not loading correctly. Then today a realise boss has no problems with me using chrome in matter a fact they all had bets on how long it would take me to ask to switch.
    Moving to chrome, no crashes,no slow downs,no problems loading some sites.

So no I'm not hating IE because it's made by MS, I have many MS products, and have to use them for work on a daily bases and don't have near as much trouble with them than I do with IE. I'm sure the other poster could very well have used IE before, and that is the conclusion he reached. As what you've got remember as with you everyone has different experiences and different opinions.

So please quit making assumptions.
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Having to have to use it at work for my first week. Normally with 100's tabs at time. It was a bloody pain, crashes,slow downs, sites not loading correctly. Then today a realise boss has no problems with me using chrome in matter a fact they all had bets on how long it would take me to ask to switch.
    Moving to chrome, no crashes,no slow downs,no problems loading some sites.

So no I'm not hating IE because it's made by MS, I have many MS products, and have to use them for work on a daily bases and don't have near as much trouble with them than I do with IE. I'm sure the other poster could very well have used IE before, and that is the conclusion he reached. As what you've got remember as with you everyone has different experiences and different opinions.

So please quit making assumptions.

Sorry if I offended you. I don't want to get into a heated discussion as that is not my way.
    The trouble with text comments is they don't convey the mood or feeling.
    I was not making assumptions as what I said was based on real experiences. It may be that I didn't word it properly.
    I will try Chrome again and see how I get on with it.
    Thanks for your comment.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just a thought..

go into IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings

is the "Automatically Detect Settings" box checked?

if it is, uncheck it.. there might be an improvement
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IE9 and chrome are both very good browsers.

Personally i dont get why firefox has such a following. Its the worse about now a days.
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    just a thought..

go into IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings

is the "Automatically Detect Settings" box checked?

if it is, uncheck it.. there might be an improvement

It was unchecked but thanks for the suggestion.

I will get to the bottom of this......it was a battle now it's a war.
  • Terry PurvisTerry Purvis Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    It might, only might be anti-virus software that's slowing it down. As you said it's a new laptop and sometimes they come preloaded with AV software which, at best, can be described as unhelpful.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    I tried disabling the wireless connection and using a wired connection......No change infact it made the problem worse.
    (don't understand that as the wired should be faster but never mind) (wired = 100mbps, wireless = 54mbps)

Tried running IE with no Add-ons and the problem improved dramatically.
    My next problem is to find out which add-on or add-ons are causing the problem.

If anyone knows of an easy way to check these without disabling each one in turn then please let me know.

Are add-ons really needed and do they really help when viewing websites.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried disabling the wireless connection and using a wired connection......No change infact it made the problem worse.
    (don't understand that as the wired should be faster but never mind) (wired = 100mbps, wireless = 54mbps)

Tried running IE with no Add-ons and the problem improved dramatically.
    My next problem is to find out which add-on or add-ons are causing the problem.

If anyone knows of an easy way to check these without disabling each one in turn then please let me know.

Are add-ons really needed and do they really help when viewing websites.

Do a reset of IE and then just put back the add ons as you need them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Do a reset of IE and then just put back the add ons as you need them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Sorry if I sound stupid but how will I know if I need a particular add-on.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if I sound stupid but how will I know if I need a particular add-on.
    You don't 'need' any add-ons. You will soon be prompted to reinstall ones for sites/programs you use.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And any other add-ons that aren't prompted, you installed yourself anyway for the features they gave you. Such as an ad-blocker.