Side Effects

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
I certainly bloody didn't! Made it such a good film...

Some thoughts from me here - would love to know what everyone else thought of it:

http://www.thisisafilmblog.com/side-effects-2013/

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I didn't see the Twists in this stylish, taut neat little thriller.
    Rooney Mara just gets better with every film she is in, Jude Law top form too.

7/10
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we all know there IS a twist now don't we.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Well we all know there IS a twist now don't we.

This!

What an inconsiderate thing to do OP.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    This!

What an inconsiderate thing to do OP.
    Thing is....most reviews mention there is a twist, even Jude Law said there is {with no details}, on a Chat Sow I watched the other day....it didn't spoil it for me.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Thing is....most reviews mention there is a twist, even Jude Law said there is {with no details}, on a Chat Sow I watched the other day....it didn't spoil it for me.

Are they the reviews that have the big headline "Hey there's a twist in this film"?
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

saying there is a twist does ruin it for anyone going to see the film 'blind' to be fair. i mean the cast or reviewers or anyone letting people know there is a twist.
    actually guessed she was going to murder her husband and blame the drugs about 15 minutes into the film due to a quote on the film poster calling it a 'thriller'. so annoying!

soderberg leads you to believe you're watching a anti pharms company film.. knowing it was actually a thriller ruined the surprise for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this, thought it was well done and brilliantly acted. I was a bit annoyed I saw the title of this thread before I went to see it but didn't really ruin it for me but I'm glad it's been changed
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw it today with no real expectations. I thought it was fantastic - better than Argo which I saw a week and a half ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Was expecting a film about the evils of big pharma but obviously it was quite different.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question for those who've seen it:
    Did she actually miscarry a child or was that all made up too?? I can't remember if this was answered.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this. I thought Rooney Mara was outstanding, with Jude Law giving a strong performance too.

I too expected a story about evil pharmaceuticals but was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. I've come to expect twists (might as well expressly mention it as everyone else has :p) with thrillers so wasn't surprised about that, but it was still a reasonably good one. I'll admit I got a little bit lost after the twist but but it all came together in the end. Not exactly groundbreaking, but a solid watch nonetheless. Totally worth it if you're a Rooney Mara fan.
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Question for those who've seen it:
    Did she actually miscarry a child or was that all made up too?? I can't remember if this was answered.
    That's a good question. It wasn't answered but I assumed it was all part of the facade to make Dr Banks more sympathetic towards Emily.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film, they don't very often make movies like this anymore, a little contrived maybe but very entertaining and thought provoking.

8/10
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand Channing Tatum, but I want to see the film. What should I do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    I cannot stand Channing Tatum, but I want to see the film. What should I do?

He isn't in it all that much, if it helps.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all the rave reviews I was expecting something really outstanding, and I have to say it didn't deliver. It's a typically stylish Soderbergh film where the camera's always picking out little details and teasing the viewer, but it's not as clever as it thinks it is. There's very little tension and things all go a little too smoothly for it to be a proper thriller. But the acting's top notch.
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also thought that this Side Effects was a standard Soderbergh movie which looked very polished but ultimately lightweight and found it was about as thrilling as Extreme Measures - 5/10
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this yesterday, I thought the last 20 minutes or so let it down a bit, but still enjoyed it.

The best thing about this movie is Rooney Mara, outstanding performance, brilliant actress.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it this evening (had to do something to fill in the schedule) Rooney Mara should be nominated for BLA next year

Soderbergh somehow got his mojo back with this film after his average Magic Mike. I quite like the twist.

The score is a bit overdone on the other hand
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The movie starts off pretty well but changes into a completely different (and inferior) film after the ridiculous twist.

Jude Law was very good. Rooney Mara was good up till the twist. Catherine Zeta Jones wasn't great ... and her face is clearly pumped full of botox. Something I find quite off-putting to look at.

A disappointing 6/10
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this and the unexpected direction it went in. Some really smashing directorial moments from Soderberg and solid acting performances all round. Best film of the year thus far (not that this is saying much) 8/10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Anyone else have a problem with the ending?
    Now that Zeta-Jones character is going to prison how can Emily still go back to the hospital for breaking the conditions of her release? Surely she either needs a completely different diagnosis or to be found guilty as a sane person? Double jeopardy can't cover this situation surely?

Also does the ending actually improve Jude Law's character's reputation?