New slot for UKTV

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big problem is that Dave Ja Vu currently timeshares with Really.

Really run 8 am to 2 am then Dave Ja Vu 2 am to 4 am. So if they extend Dave Ja Vu then Really will either be running just mornings or evening on freeview unless UKTV has got more capacity from somewhere.

Then there is the added problem that they may do this by lowering bite rates further so the freezes etc. on Yesterday will get worse. I find programmes jump and glitch if recorded for later, not always but its a real pain!

Finally which channel to put on as replacement to Dave Ja Vu, Blighty havign such low viewing numbers would be a reasonable choice. I know it's a channel about the UK but is it just back back shows like Spring Watch and Coast or what.

GOLD would be the preferred choice running either mornings or evening, if full time not available. I just hope they don't cut the broadcast hours of their other three services as you always miss a good show with that (As when Yesterday (UKTV History as was) was cut back to 12 hours a day when Dave started up, there always seemed to a good drama or documentary on just after it finished broadcasting on freeview that wasn't repeated.

Re Freesat- as I understand it their licence to broadcast allows them to be on pay TV and freeview but not freesat, don't know why but there you go.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know for sure, obviously, but I think it has to be assumed that the report is referring to new capacity, though what mux it is going to be on and where it has come from is a whole separate issue and one which could be discussed here on DS at great lenght! The exisiting stream of which Dave Ja Vu is a part might well be nothing to do with this - in which case that overnight slot will become redundant, at least while DJV is filling this new slot. That's the basis for yet another discussion!
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If YouView becomes really popular it might not matter that much anyway. The TalkTalk version already has an entertainment boost that includes the Sky Channels, Living, Gold, Blighty, Eden, Discovery, TCM etc. for £10 a month and no long term contract, all delivered over the Internet with usually excellent picture and sound quality. I say 'usually' because I have noticed the occasional freeze or instance of blockiness, which I am inclined to put down to teething troubles at the moment. With hundreds more Internet-delivered channels due to be launched over the next year or so, it seems to me that this is the way things are likely to go. Now I just need them to install fibre optic cables in my neighbourhood.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could the new capacity be the 12am to 6am slot. that is being talked about http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755319
    i no it's only 6 hours but its a start.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big problem is that Dave Ja Vu currently timeshares with Really.

Really run 8 am to 2 am then Dave Ja Vu 2 am to 4 am. So if they extend Dave Ja Vu then Really will either be running just mornings or evening on freeview unless UKTV has got more capacity from somewhere.
    UKTV have got more capacity. Their press release says so! http://uktv.co.uk/network/item/aid/654974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    UKTV have got more capacity. Their press release says so! http://uktv.co.uk/network/item/aid/654974

Interesting that they use the words 'while UKTV firms up permanent plans for the channel 25 slot'. That would imply it isn't going to be GOLD, as they would obviously use 20 for that.

If you take what they say at face value, it looks as if another channel will eventually replace DJV on 25.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully they've bought the HD slot and are putting Dave HD on there...! :D

Wishful thinking, I know...!
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Hopefully they've bought the HD slot and are putting Dave HD on there...! :D

Wishful thinking, I know...!

It wouldn't be on channel 25 if it was an HD channel :)

Most likely the new stream will be on ARQ-A, only 11 video streams, versus 12 on SDN and ARQ-B. Dave Ja Vu is already on ARQ-A so no retuning necessary.

Edit: The Adult Party stream is also vacant from 7am to midnight on ARQ-A (source bsaoc.com)
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    AngusMast wrote: »
    It wouldn't be on channel 25 if it was an HD channel :)

Most likely the new stream will be on ARQ-A, only 11 video streams, versus 12 on SDN and ARQ-B. Dave Ja Vu is already on ARQ-A so no retuning necessary.

Edit: The Adult Party stream is also vacant from 7am to midnight on ARQ-A (source bsaoc.com)

Yes, there's definitely at least one free slot on ARQ-A which would be the most likely candidate. SDN has a slot available in Not-Wales, but that would be less desirable for UKTV and all their other Freeview channels are with Arqiva.

This is ignoring the possibilty that another channel could be closing down.
  • tompaynetompayne Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    It has been reported over on the BT Vision forums that Alibi, Gold and Watch have been confirmed that they will stream live on BT Vision over IPTV in 2012/13.

That effectively rules them out, so leaves Blighty, Eden, Good Food and Home as options. As has been said I doubt they would want to add Good Food as there is already Food Network.

Home already has a LCN so surely they would just use that. Leaving Blighty or Eden. In my view, Eden would be the best addition and directly compete with Quest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A controversial suggestion but I wonder if UKTV are thinking about creating a new brand?

I can't help thinking the likes of UK Play was ahead of its time, trouble was most of it's viewers were on ONdigital, which led to the demise of the channel when it closed. But with DTT in a much stronger position ten years later, maybe now could be the time for something similar to return?

There are a few other genres such as kids/movies/sports/news that UKTV don't have much to do with. Of those, probably a kids channel is the most likely, but who knows?!
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of those, probably a kids channel is the most likely, but who knows?!
    But the UKTV press release mentions using LCN 25, which would not be allowed for a children's channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    But the UKTV press release mentions using LCN 25, which would not be allowed for a children's channel.
    Yes that's true. I was just putting some thoughts out there.

I think what other posters have said about it being Blighty, Eden, Home or Good Food is probably most likely.

But as UKTV are going to have a think about what they do, then I am simply pointing out that something else might appear.
  • ArchiexArchiex Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Yes that's true. I was just putting some thoughts out there.

I think what other posters have said about it being Blighty, Eden, Home or Good Food is probably most likely.

But as UKTV are going to have a think about what they do, then I am simply pointing out that something else might appear.

While I understand that the current uktv channels are tied up with sky and unable to launch on freesat due to contracts etc, it would be a shame for uktv not to consider launching a new channel for this venture and at the Same time putting it on freesat. Eg UKTV one/ prime and have it as a best of the bunch style channel. This allows them to use stuff from both blighty, Eden and even good food as well as some things from gold, watch and alibi, nothing wrong with going as far to include the odd thing from date, really and yesterday.

This then becomes an all round general entertainment channel, focusing on the best, (to you and me advertising the rest of the network channels lol) uktv has to offer. This would also be a great step in testing the water with freesat, which a channel like this would do well on especially as it would be the only uktv channel on the platform.

Now before you say anything I know watch and alibi have a lot of American imports and the like, but there are some show they could use and also allows for " sponsored by alibi, available on sky channel blah".

Would be good but we all know it ain't gonn happen lol...
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archiex wrote: »
    Now before you say anything I know watch and alibi have a lot of American imports and the like, but there are some show they could use and also allows for " sponsored by alibi, available on sky channel blah".

Would be good but we all know it ain't gonn happen lol...
    That sounds remarkably like the UK TV Preview Channel - good concept completely ruined by the huge red border they had on screen!

Of course the thinking about it could equally mean "we have decided to put Eden (for arguments sake) on there, but we have another 18 months on contract with Sky for that to be encrypted so we'll shove Dave Ja View on there in the interim - we may as well leave the window open to do something different should another broadcaster secure a slot and broadcast a competing channel".

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a slot has been secured and a hold channel broadcast while final plans are figured out / contracts agreed - Men and Motors / ITV2+1 (first time around) spring to mind!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archiex wrote: »
    While I understand that the current uktv channels are tied up with sky and unable to launch on freesat due to contracts etc, it would be a shame for uktv not to consider launching a new channel for this venture and at the Same time putting it on freesat...
    UKTV would maybe like people to think it is the Sky contract preventing launching channels on Freesat but in truth they have decided what their own business model is. I think UKTV like a lot of other broadcasters weigh up the Freesat EPG costs V additional viewers it will bring in and the numbers don't stack up yet. But I think eventually the UKTV FTA channels on Freeview will eventually come to Freesat sooner or later but they will keep a 'premier' set of channels for subscription only.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    GOLD on Freeview maybe?
    Spot wrote: »
    I'd say that with DSO complete they really should consider putting their flagship channel on the platform
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Is Dave not their flagship channel? I don't know but I imagine that'd get more viewers than GOLD, especially as it's on Freeview.
    The original flagship was UK Gold. Nowadays, I'd say that it's Watch. Definitely not Dave, which if you remember, was at one point named UK Gold 2.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think there ever could be a chance Food Network would get combined with Good Food? Scripps owning Food Network and 50% of UKTV.
    Viewing figures for October
    Alibi 0.3% (+1 0.1%)
    Blighty 0.0% (Aka lower than 0.1%)
    Dave 1.1% (javu 0.1%)
    Eden 0.1% (+1 0.0%)
    Gold 0.4% (+1 0.1%)
    Good Food 0.1% (+1 0.0%)
    Home 0.1 (+1 0.0%)
    Really 0.3%
    Watch 0.5% (+1 0.1%)
    Yesterday 0.8% (+1 0.0%)

Compared to Really
    July 2011 (0.0%)
    August (0.2%)
    September (0.3%)

So going on just viewing figures I would still say Blighty, obviously there are other factors but surely they can't be making any money off Blighty, okay I guess it costs next to nothing to run.

Thought on Virgin Media home is on the M TV package.

So my odds are Blighty 70%, Home 30%
  • grahamb676grahamb676 Posts: 3
    Forum Member

Would have preferred to see uktv using the slot to cherry pick shows from all of it's channels. Similar to what Discovery does with Quest.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    grahamb676 wrote: »
    Would have preferred to see uktv using the slot to cherry pick shows from all of it's channels. Similar to what Discovery does with Quest.

Combine the best sitcoms and drama from Gold and Watch ? That to me sounds just how UK Gold originally started. I would love to see a channel like that again. Classic Doctor Who on a Sunday morning, and The Bill during the week. I guess mixing in the best of Blighty and Eden would certainly make it a fantastic channel.

But in the end, we know that it will probably be a lifestyle channel showing repeats of all the BBC daytime shows mixed with some documentaries. Homes Under the Hammer box sets on a Sunday:eek: (but I do like the show :D)
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see them giving Blighty a Really/Dave style makeover and bringing it over to Freeview given that it doesn't do particularly well right now on Sky (much like Really prior to relaunch). It doesn't seem to have much of an identity in terms of programming right now so it would be interesting to see how it would evolve.

Eden would probably be a bit more of unique offering for Freeview, and judging by those shares posted above it barely does much better than Blighty.

Either way more variety for Freeview which is always good.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »

I think that's dodgy wording in the press release. What I think they mean, is that they will show Dave ja vu on Ch 25, and then (the stream attached to) Ch 25 will be used for a different channel later.

Under DMOL rules they shouldn't be able to directly change the use of Ch 25 from Dave ja vu to {whatever}, although of course those rules always seem a bit fuzzy when it comes to UKTV launching new channels!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    I think that's dodgy wording in the press release. What I think they mean, is that they will show Dave ja vu on Ch 25, and then (the stream attached to) Ch 25 will be used for a different channel later.

Under DMOL rules they shouldn't be able to directly change the use of Ch 25 from Dave ja vu to {whatever}, although of course those rules always seem a bit fuzzy when it comes to UKTV launching new channels!
    What they would do is launch the new channel on (for example) channel 63 - then swap 25 and 63 so the new channel gets slot 25 and djv gets shunted to 63. They are cheeky/clever like that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is presumably why they've kept Dave Ja Vu going for a fairly pointless two hour outing in the middle of the night - so they didn't lose a reasonably decent channel number. If its work is now done in that respect it might disappear completely from Freeview when the new channel launches.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    This is presumably why they've kept Dave Ja Vu going for a fairly pointless two hour outing in the middle of the night - so they didn't lose a reasonably decent channel number.
    As was said at the time – and there probably should be rules to prevent this sort of thing. Of course they've also got 26 for Home, broadcasting encrypted for an hour a week - two nice adjacent LCNs that many other channels would no doubt prefer to numbers in the 30s and 40s.