Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aside from the poop, where was the humour in these dishes. Not even mentioned.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They've made the same mistake again. They've put the North East instead of Yorkshire. How silly.
    Although Charlie Lakin is embedded as the Head Chef of the Marquis in Alkham in Kent. About at far south as you can get without getting wet.

Yes he was born and raised in Yorkshire, but could they not find a chef working in the North East?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It would have been nice if they could have found one. It would be nice if they could find a different chef (or two or three) altogether. Possibly harsh as they are all top chefs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I don´t get why Jason described Collin´s dish as unoriginal and not innovative. I think if anything it was the most innovative of them all given the techniques used and the concept behind. Not much humour though.
    Forum Member
    I think the only humour you could derive from it would be having something that looks like a tomato be something else. It would probably be impressive to most of us if it was plonked down infront of us.

That's about it though.

Steph's had the name but not the thought into the presentation like the other similarly named starter.

The doo doo had the name and appearance to shock and probably raise a wry smile before thinking you have to actually eat it.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I think the only humour you could derive from it would be having something that looks like a tomato be something else. It would probably be impressive to most of us if it was plonked down infront of us.

That's about it though.

Steph's had the name but not the thought into the presentation like the other similarly named starter.

The doo doo had the name and appearance to shock and probably raise a wry smile before thinking you have to actually eat it.

Which I wouldn't have done - it was a horrible idea, really awful, and my sense of humour is pretty puerile and childish at the best of times, but that, sounded awful, looked awful and I think he was pretty lucky to get away with a 5, god knows what he's got in store for the rest of the week :(
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the dog t*rd on a plate.
    ...it was a horrible idea, really awful, ... that, sounded awful, looked awful and I think he was pretty lucky to get away with a 5, god knows what he's got in store for the rest of the week :(

If I was a guest at a banquet and that was brought to me, I'd be very annoyed indeed. I think Jason was unreasonably tolerant about it - it should have got no points at all!

God help the judges if he gets through to Friday.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the doggy-doo idea was novel but utterly revolting. I think there would be a rush for the loos at the banquet! I don't think I could have brought myself to even nibble it, especially when what it tasted of was blue cheese. Bleugh!
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the dog t*rd on a plate.

If I was a guest at a banquet and that was brought to me, I'd be very annoyed indeed. I think Jason was unreasonably tolerant about it - it should have got no points at all!

God help the judges if he gets through to Friday.

Possibly the worst ever dish on GBM in my view - a lot of the Welsh chefs went through a bit a spell a while back of constantly inflicting Cawl on the rest of the world, but I think this topped that!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Possibly the worst ever dish on GBM in my view - a lot of the Welsh chefs went through a bit a spell a while back of constantly inflicting Cawl on the rest of the world, but I think this topped that!

I'd have rather been served up Johnny Mountain's fish dish from last year then that :eek:
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Glynn's turd of pike is also a worst dish contender.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've made the same mistake again. They've put the North East instead of Yorkshire. How silly.

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Kent. The BBC have a weird sense of what is North East.

A former colleague lived on the South Coast and regarded anything above Guildford as "The North" - Kent doesn't even meet this loose criterion.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding Collin's tomato, he did a similar thing with an apple in his main course last year (making a mousse and then using liquid nitrogren to give it the appearance of a real apple).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding Collin's tomato, he did a similar thing with an apple in his main course last year (making a mousse and then using liquid nitrogren to give it the appearance of a real apple).

ARGH! Liquid bl**dy nitrogen. I hate it!

Were my eyes deceiving me, or was he using bare hands as he lowered his tomatoes into the stuff?
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I thought the mock tomato plate was great, and smileable, if not rib-tickling.

The faeces was not faecetious (ahem) at all. Ludicrous!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bored last night. Not very inspiring. I liked Steph but it seemed a bit like after last year's utter disaster, she was trying far too much?

Some of the fish dishes tonight looked awesome though.
    Forum Member

Were my eyes deceiving me, or was he using bare hands as he lowered his tomatoes into the stuff?
    He had them on sticks. Heston has done pranks where he sprinkles liquid nitrogen onto his hands.
    Forum Member
    Witty and playful gets another mention.

It's acually not been too bad. I think Corrigan is so stuffy that he just followed the script and over used the terms.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    missed the turd yesterday but just got a flash of it can't believe he served a turd!
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    missed the turd yesterday but just got a flash of it can't believe he served a turd!

It was worth it just to see Jason's face! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I really don´t get Jason. He is meant to act as middle man between the judges and the chefs to ensure that the brief is met, yet he is happy to give Collin a 9 or a 10 knowing and admitting that it had no humour whatsoever.

I love Collin, amazing chef and really nice bloke but he is not really hitting the brief here, I feel that he will get to the judges with a very high score in all his dishes with high expectations and the judges will just throw it all away because it doesn´t fit the brief. Surely Jason should be there to ensure that the Chefs are reminded of that, if he gives 9´s and 10´s based solely on gastronomy that´s gonna make the chefs crash in the judging chamber.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was worth it just to see Jason's face! :D

I thought the turd was excellent..hahahahaaaaaaaaaar:D
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He had them on sticks. Heston has done pranks where he sprinkles liquid nitrogen onto his hands.
    That's thanks to the Leidenfrost Effect.

A quick dip in LN is fine, as is dipping a wet finger in hot lead, the danger is if you leave your hand in there too long or you get some on your clothing (as then it's held against your skin and you will burn).
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jason Atherton is a terrible judge.

And an incredibly dull and boring, and somewhat unpleasant character.

Where is Nigel Haworth? A far better and nicer judge!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps nobody shared the brief with Jason for this years show. I know it probably tasted great but WHERE WAS THE HUMOUR? It's possible to do humour and still retain the gastronomy.

I've not seen any banquet dishes so far either.