Options

Hudl GPS issue...

mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the GPS being constantly 'on' on their Hudl, even when location services are supposedly 'off'... and even when the Hudl is in flight mode?

From when it first came on I had two suspect apps that I believed were the cause. I've ditched one but it's still saying GPS is on in the battery usage monitor (after clicking on the graph - blue bar underneath extended graph showing when things have been on/off. GPS bar is constantly 'on'). The only other app I suspect is a Twitter app so I'm going to check it a few times today and ditch it later to see if that's the cause...

ETA: GPS seems to finally have switched off but I still don't have a clue why it was on in the first place. The Twitter app is still present and the only thing I've done this morning that ties in with when it switched off is a restart so there must've still been some rogue element present from when I ditched the other suspect app last night. Grr...

Comments

• Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the GPS being constantly 'on' on their Hudl, even when location services are supposedly 'off'... and even when the Hudl is in flight mode?
    FYI "flight mode" is to satisfy the ban on transmitting equipment on aircraft (or in hospitals) due to the slim possibility a rogue signal causes interference to the control or navigation systems;- GPS location is achieved purely by receiving satellite signals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    FYI "flight mode" is to satisfy the ban on transmitting equipment on aircraft (or in hospitals) due to the slim possibility a rogue signal causes interference to the control or navigation systems;- GPS location is achieved purely by receiving satellite signals.

Ta for that. Fact is, GPS was still 'on' when it shouldn't have been and location services were clearly switched 'off'.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On in Android means 'available'. When turned 'off' apps simply do not get permission to access it.

It works in 'airplane mode' because the GPS chip itself is receive only so cannot interfere when in flight etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, if nothing was using it and it was turned 'off', why was it still draining the battery...?