Beckham to donate salary to charity

Comments

• dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I really like him and I feel so sorry for him too. I hope all the nasty comments are like water off a ducks back for him.

At the end of the day, a charity is going to benefit greatly from this. All good in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    He's a great guy! A role model!
    And as far as a knighthood is concerned it is WELL OVERDUE. The fact that Bradley Wiggins was knighted before Beckham - after all he has done for England, really stinks. :mad:
  • HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I really despise the amount of cynicism some people give when someone actually does something good. Becks is a high profile sportsman and so it was inevitible the clauses of his contract would be made public in some way.

For all those saying that he's not actually parting with anything he has enough to retire and could just spend the time with his kids. The fact that he's not doing that plus giving the money to charity speaks measures about him. I think he's setting a fantastic example to his kids not to take anything for granted.

The people that are probably having a go at him were the same ones berating Gary Barlow despite all the Charity work publicised and unpublicised he's done. Stop being so damn cynical it's a shame more Celebrities can't be like this.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really despise the amount of cynicism some people give when someone actually does something good. Becks is a high profile sportsman and so it was inevitible the clauses of his contract would be made public in some way.

For all those saying that he's not actually parting with anything he has enough to retire and could just spend the time with his kids. The fact that he's not doing that plus giving the money to charity speaks measures about him. I think he's setting a fantastic example to his kids not to take anything for granted.

The people that are probably having a go at him were the same ones berating Gary Barlow despite all the Charity work publicised and unpublicised he's done. Stop being so damn cynical it's a shame more Celebrities can't be like this.

Three cheers for you my friend.:D
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent post, excellent sentiments!
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Indeed, the likes of Colleen Rooney and Alex Gerrard are so concerned by the state of the UK economy, they devote themselves to spending a lot of their husbands' money on expensive dresses and shoes, and then writing about their lives in magazine columns. Warms your heart, doesn't it? :D
    "
    How true, Alex gerrard used to put things like, I bought a little pair of boots, will look great to wear at chrismas", they were only£1,:rolleyes:000,
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people are going on as if Beckham is some sort of saint for doing what he's done. He's a multi millionaire and five months wages is small potatoes to a man in his position. OK, it's a nice gesture but it's been done with a huge fanfare of self congratulation and 'Look what a generous person I am'.

I know there had to be a press conference to publicise his time with the team, but I'd have had much more respect for the gesture if it had not been trumpeted so loudly today, been done quietly in the background and 50% had gone to a British charity.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gary Barlow? The same Gary Barlow as the tax avoider who brown-nosed anyone and everyone to get an OBE? :rolleyes:

He loves himself just as much as Beckham
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people are going on as if Beckham is some sort of saint for doing what he's done. He's a multi millionaire and five months wages is small potatoes to a man in his position. OK, it's a nice gesture but it's been done with a huge fanfare of self congratulation and 'Look what a generous person I am'.

I know there had to be a press conference to publicise his time with the team, but I'd have had much more respect for the gesture if it had not been trumpeted so loudly today, been done quietly in the background and 50% had gone to a British charity.

Spot on post!
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I think it's more a case he's training with them til the summer when he'll make a return to England with West ham. His family are now based in London afterall and West Ham will be moving into the glitzy Olympic stadium in a few years.
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if this is the case, the main thing is that a charity will benefit. End of story.

People are so quick to judge, bring people down and put a negative spin on something. It's sad and pathetic :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rianne wrote: »
    It's sad and pathetic :yawn:

No it isn't.

It's an opposite opinion to yours, that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if this is the case, the main thing is that a charity will benefit. End of story.

Does anyone even know what this now famous charity even is yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's something that seems to have been kept very quiet, as I've Googled and can't find anything.

ETA - How things change in only a month.
    David Beckham will not join Paris Saint-Germain for "family reasons", the big-spending Qatar-backed French club's sporting director Leonardo said on Tuesday.

"He will not come to PSG," said the Brazilian, citing "family reasons" for the 36-year-old former England captain's decision not to relocate from Los Angeles to the French capital.

"It's over," Leonardo was later quoted as saying by lequipe.fr.

http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/item/183382-david-beckham-not-to-join-paris-st-germain-leonardo

Wonder what nice little deal was brokered there.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good old Becks... he's British through and through when there's fuel for Brand Beckham and the publicity machine (think Olympics), but it's funny that he won't live here and I doubt pay tax here.

I wonder what ultimately is in this for him? You get nothing for nothing usually with that pair :rolleyes:
    Good publicity for the missuses clothing range in fashion famous France..... not that I am a cynic of course lol.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member

No, but my guess is it will turn out to be the PSG foundation - and good luck finding out who actually benefits from that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it isn't.

It's an opposite opinion to yours, that's all.

What about people who do marathons/fund raisers e.t.c for charity? Do they not publicise in some way what they do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about people who do marathons/fund raisers e.t.c for charity? Do they not publicise in some way what they do?

Do they give press conferences boasting about it? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about people who do marathons/fund raisers e.t.c for charity? Do they not publicise what they do?

People who are running marathons for charity are ordinary people raising perhaps a few hundred pounds. There's too many people running in them to publicise them all.

Beckham is a multi millionaire whose every fart will cause publicity, and no more so than the press conference today which gives him centre stage to say 'What a good soul I am!'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but my guess is it will turn out to be the PSG foundation - and good luck finding out who actually benefits from that!

Mmm... I think there is more to this then than meets the eye!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Beckham is a multi millionaire whose every fart will cause publicity.

Isn't that one of his many fragrances? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Barlow? The same Gary Barlow as the tax avoider who brown-nosed anyone and everyone to get an OBE? :rolleyes:

He loves himself just as much as Beckham

I feel so sorry for you. You come across as mean spirited and jealous in every post you've made. It must be awful to go through life with such negativity.
    And don't bother lecturing me about anything, I'm a born Pollyanna who'd rather see the good in people and a glass half full.

:) Life is so much better that way. You're welcome to your cynicism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that one of his many fragrances? :D

:D:D:D

Beckham for Men - Vent de Cul - or to the non French speakers Eau de Bottom Burp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they give press conferences boasting about it? :rolleyes:

Well, of course not, we don't all have the money for that :rolleyes: :p
    But in some way or another, those that do charity work/ raise money for charity have to do some sort of promotion/raise awareness.

I fully understand what people are saying and like I said before maybe he did do it to promote himself. But, I just feel like the main thing we should be focusing on is that money is being raised for charity.

Positive Thinking :)

(Remember, it takes a lot more effort to be negative:D)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for you. You come across as mean spirited and jealous in every post you've made. It must be awful to go through life with such negativity.
    And don't bother lecturing me about anything, I'm a born Pollyanna who'd rather see the good in people and a glass half full.

:) Life is so much better that way. You're welcome to your cynicism.

Agree, Tally. That the first and instinctive reaction to another person's good deed is a vitriolic and bile-ridden one is all shades of sad. Personally, I can't wait for him to get his knighthood, not because I give a rat's ass about titles, but just for the sheer pleasure of sitting back and watching the outraged frothing of the mouth on here. :cool: