Films with the same title

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
Forum Member
Why can't film makers come up with an original title?
Everytime I see Project X on the TV movie listings I get excited because I love the Broderick film about the chimpanzies but it is an entirley different film with the same name.
Another film with the same name is Carrie.

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Aren't there several films called Unknown? Theres the Liam Neeson/January Jones one, and one from 2006, and maybe another one as well.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crossroads is both an entertaining movie about a dead blues guitarist starring Ralph Macchio and Steve Vai with great music in it, and a crap film starring Britney Spears with crap music in it.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most obvious example I can think of, outside of remakes or films based around the same story*, is "Crash" (1996 - David Cronenbourg & 2004 - Paul Haggis)

There have been at least
    5 films called "Home",
    3 called "You And Me" (but only 1 called Me and You!),
    2 called "The Car",
    4 called "Fire!",
    4 called (The) "Adventure",
    2 called "The Battle"
    3 called "Time"

etc.

*Example - three films called "Titanic"
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Yeah I often get fooled when I see Carrie on the Sky Movies listings, expecting it to be the Stephen King version but it's actually some old thing from the 1950s.

There are also all of the (largely pointless) remakes of course. Just when you think that it'd be cool to watch the likes of The Omen, Amityville Horror or The Wicker Man, it turns out that they're the crappy new versions.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    There's The Killer Elite with James Caan and Robert Duval and Killer Elite with Jason Statham and Robert DeNiro. Both films based on different books with different titles to the movies just to add to the confusion.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Blue Sea springs to mind. Not one shark appearance in the remake. What a let down. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crash
    Bad Boys
    Deja - Vu
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Yeah I often get fooled when I see Carrie on the Sky Movies listings, expecting it to be the Stephen King version but it's actually some old thing from the 1950s.

There are also all of the (largely pointless) remakes of course. Just when you think that it'd be cool to watch the likes of The Omen, Amityville Horror or The Wicker Man, it turns out that they're the crappy new versions.

yeah but surely they need to be the same name as they are a rehash of the same movie thats gone before it.

what would you call these movies if they werent called by their original names?

i think the op means when you sit down to watch crash on tv thinking its the cronenberg one only to realise its the paul haggis one, which wouldnt be too much of a major disappointment imo.. but the films have nothing to do with each other at all!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Project X

I like both to.
    One about Chimps
    The other about a big teenage party which gets out of hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Running Man
    The Avengers
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Deja - Vu

I knew that sounded familiar.

Ha, I'm too funny.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there also a few called Supernova with Luke Perry the same actor in them but I liked this one the most

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supernova-DVD-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B000BYY0UG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1361978413&sr=8-15
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    51st State.
    Fifity First Dates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I knew that sounded familiar.

Ha, I'm too funny.
    Boom! :D
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    The Illusionist, both versions are brilliant too.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Friday the Thirteenth (1933) a comedy starring Jessie Matthews.

Nothing to do with hockey masks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    mrcynical wrote: »
    51st State.
    Fifity First Dates.

Came here to say this, the first is one of my favourite films.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Election, one is a comedy with Reese Witherspoon and the other a Hong Kong movie about triads.

Both shown on Film 4.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres a fair few Dracula and The Wolfman films, but the worst for me is when I see Them! in the listings and it turns out to be that French film rather than the 50's one about giant ants.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious one at the moment is Beautiful Creatures. Posters everywhere for the new one but the previous one only came out in 2000.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    ...but the worst for me is when I see Them! in the listings and it turns out to be that French film rather than the 50's one about giant ants.
    Sounds like mischief with the exclamation mark: Them! (1954) / Them (2006)

Damn! Bugger! etc ;)

Them! preferable mind.