Android File Operations

bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just picked up a cheap Android tablet, but am stuck trying to do the simplest things. [4.0.4 with touch screen]

For example, how do I copy a file (preferably an entire directory) from a USB drive, to its internal memory? (The problem being that with the USB drive occupying the single micro-USB socket, I can't attach the keyboard so can't edit these text files.)

I've got the File Manager up, which shows lists of files, and if I click the folder icon at the top right, I get the buttons Paste, Delete, Copy, Move along the bottom, but now what?

It doesn't seem to have a current highlighted file to work on (clicking any file or folder just opens it). Pressing Copy does nothing. Help! I'm thinking of just emailing the files across, but that's crazy.

(On a PC there are half a dozen ways to do this, for example, right-click then Copy on a highlighted directory; right-click and Paste in the destination.)

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Download Astro File Manager from the Play store - have always found it easy to use.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Download Astro File Manager from the Play store - have always found it easy to use.

Astro Cloud & File Manager? Just installed that, had a bit of a fight to stop it doing things with Clouds, Box, Dropbox and Facebook that were not relevant to me, but now I'm back where I was! The online docs seem pretty useless too (mentioning things such as menubars that I haven't got, or clicking things that I haven't got either!)

I'd appreciate it if someone could point out where I might find the menubar or file button. All I've got along the top are:

< ^ Filter > . . . . icons for mult-sel, new loc, refresh, new folder, settings

^ and Filter are clickable, the '>' isn't. I'm stuck...
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If you have a USB stick plugged in you just find it in Astro Manager, press and hold the folder you want to copy to select it, then click copy or move and then find where you want to put it and click paste.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press and hold is a good action to know, does a lot of things on Android
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    ^ and Filter are clickable, the '>' isn't. I'm stuck...

Found some better docs. The first lot said things such as:

"Copy Single File or Folder
    Long press file > Press Copy > Navigate to where you want to copy the file and press Paste."

which was confusing (there is no 'file' button).

The latest one says:
    - long click on the file name, select Edit / Copy. ...

Ah, the filename itself!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Found some better docs. The first lot said things such as:

"Copy Single File or Folder
    Long press file > Press Copy > Navigate to where you want to copy the file and press Paste."

which was confusing (there is no 'file' button).

The latest one says:
    - long click on the file name, select Edit / Copy. ...

Ah, the filename itself!
    Or whole folders.