Very old telly - how do I connect to a digibox? please?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Can anyone please advise me how I can get Freeview on a 25 year old Sony TV? It was my granny's and still works perfectly so I don't want to get rid of it!

It just has an aerial socket in the back, and is connected to the external aerial through this.

Is there a freeview box that I can buy that will do the job, or do I need some sort of an adaptor - or is it a lost cause?

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    No problem.

The Durabrand one I have connects via an arial cable which is included. Your normal TV arial cable connects into the freeview box and the other cable then connects from the box to your Tv via the normal arial socket.

This box was £20 at Asda.

I think most of the freeview boxes will connect this way if you do not want to use a scart lead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Do they?! I bought a Digihome freeview box from Amazon a few months back and ended up sending it back as I didn't think I could connect it - it seemed to only connect via SCART, or was I maybe just being thick and not checking it out properly?!

Is there any wording I should be looking out for on the specification that would indicate that it would work? Maybe I'd be better off going to Curry's or somewhere I could check with the staff.

Thanks
  • Pop RobertsPop Roberts Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be careful. You need to make sure the box you buy has a RF modulator built in, so that the Freeview signal is modulated onto the signal that goes into your TV’s aerial input. Many boxes do not do this – they just have a RF loop through, and all you will see on the TV via the aerial input are the standard analogue signals.

If your box does not have a RF modulator it is possible to buy a SCART to RF adaptor that will do the job for you. It will convert the SCART output from the digibox and convert it into a RF signal you can put into the aerial socket on the TV.

Pop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Be careful. You need to make sure the box you buy has a RF modulator built in, so that the Freeview signal is modulated onto the signal that goes into your TV’s aerial input. Many boxes do not do this – they just have a RF loop through, and all you will see on the TV via the aerial input are the standard analogue signals.

If your box does not have a RF modulator it is possible to buy a SCART to RF adaptor that will do the job for you. It will convert the SCART output from the digibox and convert it into a RF signal you can put into the aerial socket on the TV.

Pop

I think you are correct, I used mine in the caravan & tried to tune it in via the TV & got nothing, so used it on the scart.
    Now I know why.

One point if you are unsure is that the supermarkets, certainly Asda, will refund for any reason on electrical items within 14 days, so you can always give them a try to see if the box has a rf modulator built in.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are a few boxes with RF modulated out rather than RF pass through

This lists old boxes with Moulators (Mod)
    http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewoldboxes.html
    Panasonic TUCT20 can be bought for about £20. Usually ebay.

Another option might be the Daewoo SV900 which also has a built in VCR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    If your box does not have a RF modulator it is possible to buy a SCART to RF adaptor that will do the job for you.
    You do not need to buy anything if you have any old VCR laying around (does not even have to be able to play tapes anymore). These already have the necessary UFH modulator to convert SCART input to RF output on the co-ax aerial lead you plug into the back of the old TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I believe Maplin Electronics sell a SCART-RF modulator.
    www.maplin.co.uk
    Code : VH89W

( sorry couldn't use add hyperlink function with IE7 )
  • Pop RobertsPop Roberts Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greyowl wrote:
    I believe Maplin Electronics sell a SCART-RF modulator.
    www.maplin.co.uk
    Code : VH89W

( sorry couldn't use add hyperlink function with IE7 )
    CPC (www.cpc.co.uk) do a more basic box with just SCART in and RF out for about a tenner. The VCR idea is a good idea if you have one!

Pop
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you need is a Freeview box with RF Modulator - this will decode the signals and put the signal as an analogue channel on the aerial cord, which the old tv can then "tune" into.

Note1.
    RF Loopthrough is not the same - simply it just passes on the analogue channels, but the new freeview channels require scart connection.

Note2.
    Many Freeview decoders dont include an RF Modulator (more than half of them I would think - so buy with care!!!).

Workaround1.
    If you have a Freeview box without RF modulator, but have a tv with just an aerial socket, you can some times get around it using a video recorder. You need a video recorder with a scart socket. You connect the Freeview decoder to the video using scart, then use the aerial feed from the video to the tv. Choose AV1 or whatever the terminology is on your brand of video recorder, and you can get pictures from the Freeview box into the Video, then into the tv.

Workaround2.
    Rather expensive, but you can buy a standalone RF modulator box. Connect the Freeview box via scart to the RF modulator box. This will then have an aerial connnection which you link to the tv aerial socket.

Dave
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. You can probably tell I'm not very technically minded! Think I understand a bit more now. I don't have a VCR lying around, so if I've got it right I need to get a box with a built in RF modulator, so unless you have any recommendations for specific products I'll get in touch with some retailers - maybe CPC - and see what they can recommend. Tenner sounds good!

I buy lots from Amazon usually, but they give very little technical info so I can't work out which, if any, will do the job.

Anyway, thanks again, it's much appreciated :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. You can probably tell I'm not very technically minded! Think I understand a bit more now. I don't have a VCR lying around, so if I've got it right I need to get a box with a built in RF modulator, so unless you have any recommendations for specific products I'll get in touch with some retailers - maybe CPC - and see what they can recommend. Tenner sounds good!

I buy lots from Amazon usually, but they give very little technical info so I can't work out which, if any, will do the job.

Anyway, thanks again, it's much appreciated :)
    A tenner is just for the RF modulator - you'll still need a freeview box to receive any signal.

Hence the suggestion to purchase a freeview box with a built-in RF modulator
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: told you I wasn't technically minded...can't read either...thanks dawson!
  • OrnsackOrnsack Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just get a cheap VCR from a car boot sale or something, and use the scart on that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll pay a premium price for receivers with Rf modulators. See prices here:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11.htm
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strong box at £35 from Currys is the first price box with modulator that I am aware of.
    Forum Member
    I know it's been a while, but just wanted to say thanks to you all for your help. I got a TUC20 on ebay and it works great!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good choice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic, but good advice anyway,

Some old 4:3 TV do not recognise the 16:9 (Fast Blanking @ 6V) and will not display the picture correctly. Often results in a rolling display.

You may need to force the 4:3/16:9 option on your STB to 4:3 always to rectify this.