Jessie J

Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,618
Forum Member
Where has she gone?

Ever since she thought she was bigger the The Voice and sauntered off I have not heard anything much. A few chart releases maybe but nothing as big as before The Voice.

Has her fame gone now?

Comments

• trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's more that her grating personality - as showcased on The Voice - has led to her losing a lot of goodwill from the general public. Her debut was massively hyped, with OTT airplay (Do It Like A Dude in particular).

Sophomore slump has to be taken into account. But.. The singles from 'Alive' are pants and are relative flops compared to her debut.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Shes on tour, releasing new single Thunder and off on tour in the US soon with Robin Thicke.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Where has she gone?

Has her fame gone now?

Who cares.

Hopefully.
  • MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is also releasing a song with Robin Thicke and has done a song with Mary J B, she isn't around much but isn't doing great with A-cast celebrities.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say her profile had been pretty high in recent months. Several decent Festival appearances, a new album and singles, talk show stints and a successful UK Arena tour!

She's also on X Factor this weekend, singing with Mary J Blige.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    But still nobody wants to actually buy her album. She's certainly far too early in her career to rely on touring on past glories/albums a la The Eagles, Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones etc. I don't see much of a future in the mainstream to be honest. And her management want sacking for letting her jarring/polarising personality to be unleashed on the GP for weeks on The Voice. Probably up there with Duffy's Diet Cola ad :eek::eek: as a career wrecker TBH.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question was "Where has she gone?".

She's still very much in the public eye, shit album or not.
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,618
    Forum Member
    I just don't see her about as much as before. Even before The Voice her name was about a lot more then what it is now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't see her about as much as before. Even before The Voice her name was about a lot more then what it is now.

Me either. It's great! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new albums not as good as the old one, the singles have been weak. Not had her 'Price Tag' moment yet with this record and having listened to the album, she isn't likely to.

If people aren't feeling your music, they aren't thinking about you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Probably up there with Duffy's Diet Cola ad :eek::eek: as a career wrecker TBH.

Thanks for the awful reminder. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just finished a sell out UK arena tour, is preparing to tour with Robin Thicke in February in the US, is putting out a song with DJ Cassidy and Robin Thicke which the video is already shot for, her new UK single, Thunder, which the video has been shot for, will be out Dec 2, she's performing this http://www.ddotomen.com/2013/10/08/mary-j-blige-do-you-hear-what-i-hear-ft-jessie-j/ with MJB on Xfactor, she getting foot surgery around Christmas, she has a duet with Smokey Robinson that will be on his new album, and a couple songs with Pharrell that may or may not be on the US version of her album.

I think that pretty much covers it. Oh, and her hair is dark again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But still nobody wants to actually buy her album. She's certainly far too early in her career to rely on touring on past glories/albums a la The Eagles, Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones etc. I don't see much of a future in the mainstream to be honest. And her management want sacking for letting her jarring/polarising personality to be unleashed on the GP for weeks on The Voice. Probably up there with Duffy's Diet Cola ad :eek::eek: as a career wrecker TBH.

I really don't get how that was such a career wrecker. It's just a stupid commercial. How something so minute can ruin a career is beyond me. People take things way too seriously.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    I really don't get how that was such a career wrecker. It's just a stupid commercial. How something so minute can ruin a career is beyond me. People take things way too seriously.

We view things like this very differently in the UK (I know you are from the US hence why I am saying this). Probably a cultural thing. You only have to witness the 'previously can do no wrong' Joss Stone's embarrassing appearance at the Brit Awards several years ago :eek::eek: to realise that (in the UK at least), yes, a few ill advised minutes really CAN wreck your career

I'm not saying it's right or wrong that this can happen but celebs (certainly UK-based ones) know the score here so no real excuses for doing such stuff. For instance, as I previously stated, someone from Jessie J's management company really should have queried whether her personality was suited to ongoing prime time TV exposure and maybe advised her accordingly? Same with Duffy's management team when that awful Coke ad offer came through the post. What were they thinking??
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Her music isn't all that great and her voice is annoying. I've listened to both her albums and I thought they were just bland, generic pop that could be sung by anyone. I think people are also annoyed by the overexposure and the fact she's hyped as the second coming of pop music. That would put anyone off a particular act.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We view things like this very differently in the UK (I know you are from the US hence why I am saying this). Probably a cultural thing. You only have to witness the 'previously can do no wrong' Joss Stone's embarrassing appearance at the Brit Awards several years ago :eek::eek: to realise that (in the UK at least), yes, a few ill advised minutes really CAN wreck your career

I'm not saying it's right or wrong that this can happen but celebs (certainly UK-based ones) know the score here so no real excuses for doing such stuff. For instance, as I previously stated, someone from Jessie J's management company really should have queried whether her personality was suited to ongoing prime time TV exposure and maybe advised her accordingly? Same with Duffy's management team when that awful Coke ad offer came through the post. What were they thinking??

£$£$££$£$$£$$££$££$$£$
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I know of people who sold tickets to see her after seeing her personality on the voice, It did her no favours
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems a bit uptight, tbh. If that is all it took to ruin a career here almost none of our celebrities would exist. Some things can just be laughed off, no?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I know of people who sold tickets to see her after seeing her personality on the voice, It did her no favours

The weird thing, though, is that it isn't like she had some personality transplant. She had always been like that. The only difference, is that before it was seen as endearing and look at this girl who speaks her mind, but put in a judging situation it is suddenly a problem. Nothing she said on The Voice was anything she hadn't said before.

People were mad when she said she wouldn't be a judge on XF only help mentor and perform, but she told Simon that to his face even before she was a guest mentor on it and he said as much and said he respected her opinion. Her random singing was done in interviews before TV and she did random stuff on stage and acted "weird" all before. Hell, she put mud on her face at a festival and talked about poo on stage. That's just her personality. Endearing to some, grating to others, but she always said she was marmite. All I'm saying is, she was on TV the way she was before and the way she is now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weird thing, though, is that it isn't like she had some personality transplant. She had always been like that. The only difference, is that before it was seen as endearing and look at this girl who speaks her mind, but put in a judging situation it is suddenly a problem. Nothing she said on The Voice was anything she hadn't said before.

People were mad when she said she wouldn't be a judge on XF only help mentor and perform, but she told Simon that to his face even before she was a guest mentor on it and he said as much and said he respected her opinion. Her random singing was done in interviews before TV and she did random stuff on stage and acted "weird" all before. Hell, she put mud on her face at a festival and talked about poo on stage. That's just her personality. Endearing to some, grating to others, but she always said she was marmite. All I'm saying is, she was on TV the way she was before and the way she is now.

We saw so much more of her personality on The Voice, though. It was on weekly - I think perhaps even Saturday AND Sunday evenings for weeks. That's simply too much for most people to bear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw so much more of her personality on The Voice, though. It was on weekly - I think perhaps even Saturday AND Sunday evenings for weeks. That's simply too much for most people to bear.

Then don't watch. We all have free will. If you don't like something, watch something else. Their are hundreds of channels, books, Internet sites, etc to choose from. That way something so small won't annoy you as much for you to decide everything associated with it is suddenly annoying too. (Not specifically you, but a general you.)
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then don't watch. We all have free will. If you don't like something, watch something else. Their are hundreds of channels, books, Internet sites, etc to choose from. That way something so small won't annoy you as much for you to decide everything associated with it is suddenly annoying too. (Not specifically you, but a general you.)

The Voice was a rating flop (given how much the BBC invested in it) and the new Jessie J album has been a flop - people have done as you've suggested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I liked Jessie before The Voice. I wanted to give the programme a go considering the hype it was getting from the BBC. She was a pain in the arse every week. :yawn:
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Voice.

I liked her before it aired, I hated her after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    The Voice.

I liked her before it aired, I hated her after.

It's that simple. :mad::mad::mad: