Opinions on actors - turnaround

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Colin Farrell - I didn't think much of him as an actor until I saw In Bruges. He gives a stunning performance and considering he has the likes of Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes to contend with that is no mean feat.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Same here with Channing Tatum and 21 Jump Street, Will Ferrell and Owen Wilson in recent roles too.

Oh god no. He's still horrible. People are biased though cause' he's in shape.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Matthew McConaughey bugged the hell out of me until I watched 'Mud' recently. I mean it's not like I suddenly adore the guy but I'll definitely look out for some of his future films. 'Dallas Byers Club' is one that sounds like it could be good.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matthew McConaughey bugged the hell out of me until I watched 'Mud' recently. I mean it's not like I suddenly adore the guy but I'll definitely look out for some of his future films. 'Dallas Byers Club' is one that sounds like it could be good.

Yeh I'm really looking forward to seeing that.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think Leo DiCaprio was much cop until I saw The Departed.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Colin Farrell - I didn't think much of him as an actor until I saw In Bruges. He gives a stunning performance and considering he has the likes of Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes to contend with that is no mean feat.

Yeah, I could never see the point of Colin Farrell until I saw In Bruges. I love that film and until it was released, the only comedy film I owned was The Life of Brian.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Simon Pegg. I really liked him in shaun of the dead and then he went and disappeared up his own arsehole
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very recent one here - Matthew Mconaughey. Talentless eye candy for chicks in tedious rom-coms for years. I mean, how can you respect anyone who appears in films with horse face Parker?:confused:

Saw Mud a couple of weeks ago and the guy can not only act but very well. Watch this guy - I think he's going places.

Agreed but my opinion of him changed after his amazing performance in killer joe. The film wasn't great but he was fabulous. Also thought he was great in magic mike. Looking forward to seeing him in wolf of wall street
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not like Mickey Rourke until I saw The Wrestler. I also prefer Brad Pitt in more recent times. For example, Moneyball showed him as a more mature actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, Brad Pitt in Moneyball was a brilliant role for him.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Jack Nicholson - I enjoyed his contributions, especially The Last Detail, but since Prizzi's Honor/The Witches of Eastwick/Two Jakes, I grew to dislike him. He represents everything wrong with the cinema of the 1980s and 1990s. I couldn't even stand him in The Departed.

Marlon Brando - I still don't like him as I feel he's a lazy actor, but after seeing The Godfather, I at least understand why he's well liked/respected.

Michael Caine - I enjoyed his performances until the 1980s (Jaws: The Revenge, The Fourth Procedural and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, all these I disliked). He went downhill since.

Russell Crowe - I watched his career with interest (due to Mystery Alaska, Romper Stomper and The Insider) until Gladiator, which basically ruined him.

Colin Firth - didn't think much of him (in spite of Tumbledown and The Hour of the Pig) until A Single Man.

Mickey Rourke - loved him until Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man or Wild Orchids and found him an embarrassment until, I think, Spun. I adore him now.

You should watch him in 'Is Anybody There?' absolutely fantastic
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Matthew McConaughey showed early promise and then seemed to take the path of least resistance until his star faded, now seems to have reinvented himself as something of a character actor the last couple of years with a string of memorable roles recently with a number of forthcoming roles already garnering critical acclaim. I could be wrong but I think he's had an attitude adjustment somewhere along the way, for the better.

From 2011 onwards I don't think there is an actor around with a more impressive body of work - Killar Joe, Magic Mike and The Lincoln Lawyer seem to have been career re-defining performances, and then his kicked on with diverse roles in Mud (my personally favourite acting performance this year to date) and then the forthcoming Dallas Buyers Club (for which he is tipped to be Oscar nominated) and The Wolf of Wall Street.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hated the Lincoln lawyer. Ryan philippe was terrible in it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Matthew McConaughey showed early promise and then seemed to take the path of least resistance until his star faded, now seems to have reinvented himself as something of a character actor the last couple of years with a string of memorable roles recently with a number of forthcoming roles already garnering critical acclaim. I could be wrong but I think he's had an attitude adjustment somewhere along the way, for the better.

From 2011 onwards I don't think there is an actor around with a more impressive body of work - Killar Joe, Magic Mike and The Lincoln Lawyer seem to have been career re-defining performances, and then his kicked on with diverse roles in Mud (my personally favourite acting performance this year to date) and then the forthcoming Dallas Buyers Club (for which he is tipped to be Oscar nominated) and The Wolf of Wall Street.

I thought he was excellent in The Paperboy as well. I think that was a very diverse role for him.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joseph Gordon Levitt for me. I can't say I was a huge fan of his in films like Brick or 500 Days of Summer, but I thought he was absolutely fantastic in Inception and 50/50.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, it's Bruce Willis for me. I first heard of him in that appalling 'Moonlighting' series in the 80s that my girlfriend of the time made me suffer every week. I hated that show so much I ended up blaming and hating Bruce for it, and refused to watch anything he did for almost ten years, even the first two Die Hard movies. No way was I watching Bruce, no siree. Until that is a friend of mine insisted we watched 12 Monkeys at the cinema on it's release in 95 and it just blew me away. I instantly borrowed Pulp Fiction & the first 2 Die Hard's and realised I'd been a massive, stubborn bellend.

Moonlighting still sucks horses wangers though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Joseph Gordon Levitt for me. I can't say I was a huge fan of his in films like Brick or 500 Days of Summer, but I thought he was absolutely fantastic in Inception and 50/50.

Yeh he's one of my recent 'finds'. I saw Mysterious Skin and thought he was phenomenal. Loved him in 50/50 as well.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Tom Cruise.

I think it was 'Far and Away' when I started to like him.

Now surprisingly, he seems to feature in a lot of my DVD collection and some of my all time favourite movies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalie Portman, loved her in V for Vendetta (2005), hated her in the Star Wars movies (199-2005).
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another vote for Matthew McConaughey aparently his performance in 'Dallas Byers Club' should at least get him a nomination for best actor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Natalie Portman, loved her in V for Vendetta (2005), hated her in the Star Wars movies (199-2005).

I thought Natalie Portman came across really stiff in the Star Wars movies and then has been great in some of her other films too.

I also agree with others about DiCaprio. I didn't think much of him at first but now he is one of my favourites.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate Meryl Streep , she always seemed to be playing miserable roles / Oscar bait .

but at some point in the 90's I changed my mind , maybe it was after I saw Death Becomes Her and saw her on interviews and realised she wasn't so serious .

My memory is alittle rusty, but this all started with She devil & Death Becomes Her. Neither of which were well recieved at the time. She Devil was a typical watered down version of a classic UK tv black comedy - The Lives & Loves Of A She Devil, the US version was more a vehicle for Roseanne Barr, who was massive at that time.

Death Becomes Her is a kind of 'camp' classic these days, but underneath its got a very misogynistic overtone to it.

The other film that sticks out is The River Wild, which was an action thriller, I'm sure I remember an interview with her back then saying she'd finally allowed herself to 'loosen up' and have some fun with her film choices - but it was also a difficult time as she mentioned serious roles for her were drying up (she then went on to Bridges Of Madison County, so it was merely a blip for her!).
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Natalie Portman came across really stiff in the Star Wars movies and then has been great in some of her other films too.

I also agree with others about DiCaprio. I didn't think much of him at first but now he is one of my favourites.

I'd defy anyone to act out the 'dialogue' of APM/AOTC & ROTS and try to lend some meaning/gravitas to it!

If only George would of let Carrie Fisher do some script doctoring to it! Perhaps she could've injected it with some 'yumah'
  • LMLM Posts: 63,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The problem with Natalie Portman is that the majority of her films have restricted what a great actress she is. The only great performances she has ever done in her whole career is Closer, Cold Mountain and Black Swan. She needs to stop doing films like Thor, where acting ability isn't needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Bradley Cooper

Thought he was "fine" in Hangover, Limitless and The A-Team

But in Silver Linings Playbook and The Place Beyond The Pines he really impressed me. I now actually look forward to his films