How many lessons (on average) to pass a driving test?

SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
Forum Member
Before I start - I know this is subjective, some people take ages some don't. What I am looking for is an average.

Three years ago when I was 18 I began driving lessons. I had between 10 - 15 and then I stopped due to moving away to Uni, where I would not need to drive. At this point I was able to drive normally, although I wasn't the most confident. I hadn't practiced many manuveurs and whilst I could do a three point turn, I sometimes got confused with what my arms and legs were meant to be doing and messed up a little each time.

I moved back to my home village in November and have been taking lessons (with the same instructor) since then. I'd say since then I've had about 15-20 lessons, although since the middle of March I have solidly been doing one a week. Despite being three years since driving a car, I did pretty well on my first new lesson. Since then I've gained lots of confidence (in part due to lots of driving time in my own car), my manuveurs are very good (bay parking, reversing around a corner, three point turn). In my last 5/6 lessons, I can only remember my instructor having to use his dual controls once, and that was coming out a pretty bad junction, and to be honest he beat me to the brakes by a split second.

I am now beginning to get impatient. In total I have done say 30 lessons. Now I know that there was a big gap in between so I will need extra, but surely I should be thinking about booking my practical test now? When I ask my instructor how many more lessons he thinks that I need, he just answers that "it's not something you can put a number too". Now I don't think he's trying to get as much money as possible out of me or anything. I also know he's a good instructor - he works for the local council teaching road safety, as well as testing taxi drivers for the council too.

I know that my driving is generally ok. I regularly go out in my own car (albeit, an automatic) with my mum, a friend, and other relatives who all say that my driving is fine and just needs a little polishing here and there. I don't really have problems with the clutch and the gears, I just find them to be a pain in the arse! :D Also, I am going to start doing two lessons a week from tomorrow.

Does it sound like I am being impatient or that I am right to be concerned that there has been no mention about my driving test yet?

Edit: Sorry, wrong forum. Could a mod move it to Advice please? Thanks.

Comments

• XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I have quite a few friends who passed with only 20 hours of driving lessons. It took me about 3 times as long. My driving instructor was very experienced but very cautious. He recommended about 40 hours.

Ask though! It's your money. He might not want to pressure you. :)
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Xassy wrote: »
    I have quite a few friends who passed with only 20 hours of driving lessons. It took me about 3 times as long. My driving instructor was very experienced but very cautious. He recommended about 40 hours.

Ask though! It's your money. He might not want to pressure you. :)

Yeh I think mine is quite cautious, and to be fair he does have his own reputation to uphold. Putting a student in too early means they have a greater chance of failing which in turns looks bad on him. One thing I don't want to do is just switch driving instructors if it is just me being impatient. So far I feel that he is doing a good job teaching me and to now go and switch instructor just seems a little unfair?
  • deniseb90deniseb90 Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    It seems so much harder to pass your test these days - my neice is in the process and she seems to be spending a fortune - even though on her 17th birthday we all chipped in and bought her a block of lessons.

20 years ago when I was learning I took 10 lessons and passed first time (and gawd knows how I did that!!). My son is nearly 11 and I know in 7 years time he will want to learn - I'd better start saving up now!!!!

Good luck anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 2 lessons a week for about 3 months and passed 2nd attempt :o

Edited to add, this was before the theory test :eek:
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    It supposed to be 1 for every year of your life - and generally speaking, I think that is probably true.
    Having said that, my daughter took only 15 lessons to pass her test at 17 - but her husband took nearly 40!
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    If you're driving is almost "there", then it's seems a bit pointless to change now. Do ask him if you're ready. He's probably being kind too - driving tests are VERY expensive. It's not just the test, the car insurance whilst you're taking the test shoots through the roof. Maybe he's thinking of your wallet? ;) Or your confidence. You can be a good driver but fail many tests. Well, that's the excuse I use for me, hehe!!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I think it took me 18 (pre theory tests)
    Forum Member
    Just for information I haven't actually passed my theory test yet, although this has nothing to do with why my instructor hasn't said about putting in for my practical. The reason I haven't put in for my theory is purely due to me not getting around to it. I know with 99% certainty that I could pass the theory first time. I have the official DSA theory test DVD with the test on it, and out of over 50 mock tests I've done, I haven't failed one.

In fact, I'm going to book it now.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rough rule of thumb in my experience - 1.5 times your age - e.g. at age 20 within 31 lessons - most people I know did it +- 10 from that figure.
    Forum Member
    Booked :)
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    Rough rule of thumb in my experience - 1.5 times your age - e.g. at age 2 within 31 lessons - most people I know did it +- 10 from that figure.

I reckon my 2 year old son would need more than 31 lessons :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    waaay!.

Started driving when i was 18 had a few lessons left it after 8 lessons started again when i was 23 took test in feb this year - failed, again in april failed all over silly things lol roll on next friday!!!!!!!! had to wait over 6 weeks for a test date!
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

D'oh - must fix that zero key that doesn't work. On my logic that would be three lessons - I think it took longer to work out how to stop my pedal kart at five!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Booked :)

Yay!! Good for you! Good luck. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed at 17 and had 13 lessons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would bloody hope so! :eek: :D
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, it's more than people think - the Driving standards agency did a survey and it was 36 lessons on average for men and 52 for women... full details here

www.mariamccarthy.co.uk/girls-guide.htm - stuff about myths about the driving test from The Girls' Guide to Losing Your L Plates
    Forum Member
    Just another question.

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the marking sheet that the examiner uses? The one which lists what is a serious error and a dangerous error (i.e. minor and major?). Is it even publicly available? If not, would anybody who has a recent one mind scanning it in for me?

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another question.

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the marking sheet that the examiner uses? The one which lists what is a serious error and a dangerous error (i.e. minor and major?). Is it even publicly available? If not, would anybody who has a recent one mind scanning it in for me?

Thanks.

Is this it?

http://www.foshy.co.uk/wayfarer/dl25.html
    Forum Member

I assume so. No idea if it is up to date, but I can't see it having changed too much. Thankyou very much. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume so. No idea if it is up to date, but I can't see it having changed too much. Thankyou very much. :)

No worries, it is that long since I did my test, they were probably using slate and chalk! :eek: :o
  • SupernellySupernelly Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your a bloke...... a few

if your a bird......... well you never actually learn :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supernelly wrote: »
    If your a bloke...... a few

if your a bird......... well you never actually learn :)

Quite, we were born proficient. :p
    Forum Member
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I passed at 17 and had 13 lessons

How long ago was that?
  • SupernellySupernelly Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite, we were born proficient. :p

cheeky :)