Can't get rid of AV source channel indicator from Sony Bravia TV screen

Hi

We've had this problem for ages (literally years!) and am finally putting some time into trying to solve it.

We have a Sony Bravia TV KDL-40V3000 - few years old.

When watching from laptop or freeview box plugged in through one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the TV, the display constantly shows the AV input channel number on the top left of the screen. For example:

"AV5 HDMI2" (with a little input icon there too).

I've read a bunch of other posts about this issue on this forum, and everyone says to press the 'Info/text reveal' button on the remote (labelled with i+). We do have this button on our remote, at the top left, and I've pressed it many times, but it does not get rid of the input source display. Instead it toggles other information - 'Screen format' and some kind of timer display.

I've tried completely resetting the whole TV. Nothing seems to work - help!

Comments

• iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a lot of TV's its "press and hold for a few second" to turn on or off the OSD

If its not that way it will be in the menu , often well hidden LOL
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long time since I had a Sony TV, but from memory mine cycled through three options. Temporary display, Permanent Display, More Info. The temporary display disappeared after a few seconds – but confused me because unless you wait for it to go away after the button press it doesn’t look like anything has changed. Of course if you just keep pushing the button it looks as if it’s simply switching between permanent display and more info.

This might be what you’re seeing
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    The i+ button toggles the OSD, there may be three or four different options, so don't just press it once, cycle through them.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    we've got one of those and can't find the instruction book. Don't suppose you can have a look what the code is to make the Sky remote work the TV could you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    with a SKY remote , if you press TV then HELP , this toggles the banner on / off
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    we've got one of those and can't find the instruction book. Don't suppose you can have a look what the code is to make the Sky remote work the TV could you?

It's 0533 - no need to look, I use it on a daily basis :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The i+ button toggles the OSD, there may be three or four different options, so don't just press it once, cycle through them.

There are 2 options, as I mentioned. The first is 'screen format' (which is set to 'smart screen') and the second is some kind of timer display on the bottom right. Pressing cycles between these 2 options, but at no time causes the AV icon to disappear.

platelet: I've tried leaving it for a while after each button press, as I cycle through. Again, the AV icon is not affected.

iangrad: I have looked all through all the menu options 3 or 4 times, on different occasions. I think I have tried everything that sounds even remotely plausible. I still can't see how to turn the thing off!

What I don't understand is that I've read several posts where pressing the i+ button seems to have worked for people with this exact issue. Don't understand why it wouldn't work here. Bit mysterious.
    Forum Member
    thesheep wrote: »
    There are 2 options, as I mentioned. The first is 'screen format' (which is set to 'smart screen') and the second is some kind of timer display on the bottom right. Pressing cycles between these 2 options, but at no time causes the AV icon to disappear.

What I don't understand is that I've read several posts where pressing the i+ button seems to have worked for people with this exact issue. Don't understand why it wouldn't work here. Bit mysterious.

I deal with this on a daily basis, as a main Sony dealer we get loads of calls with the same 'problem' - I've never seen one (or heard of one) where toggling the OSD didn't cure it.

I suppose there's a very slight chance that a fault could cause it?, but I'm certainly doubtful.
    Forum Member
    OK thanks Nigel. That's kind of my view too. Doesn't seem right. But I am here pressing that i+ button!

We bought it from John Lewis and I think it *may* just be within the 5 year guarantee. So maybe I should try their support team.
    Forum Member
    OK thanks Nigel. That's kind of my view too. Doesn't seem right. But I am here pressing that i+ button!

We bought it from John Lewis and I think it *may* just be within the 5 year guarantee. So maybe I should try their support team.

The KDL40V3000 is a 2007 model, so may just be under 5 year guarantee.

However, if JL arrange for an engineer to call out and it's not something covered by warranty, then they charge something like £95. JL aren't a TV dealer, they don't have engineers, they just send a third party out.
    Forum Member
    The KDL40V3000 is a 2007 model, so may just be under 5 year guarantee.

However, if JL arrange for an engineer to call out and it's not something covered by warranty, then they charge something like £95. JL aren't a TV dealer, they don't have engineers, they just send a third party out.

Useful to know thanks.

If anyone here actually has a KDL-40V3000 or KDL-46V3000 (i.e. one of those exact models) and can try changing the AV input to AV7, and verify that they can get the big AV7 HDMI text to appear top left of the screen, and get it to go away again, just by pressing the i+ button on the remote, that would be useful. Just to double-check it really does work like that on that exact model, before I lay myself open to a £95 charge from JL... that would be really helpful!

Cheers

Ben
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    It's 0533 - no need to look, I use it on a daily basis :)

cheers:D
    Forum Member
    Useful to know thanks.

If anyone here actually has a KDL-40V3000 or KDL-46V3000 (i.e. one of those exact models) and can try changing the AV input to AV7, and verify that they can get the big AV7 HDMI text to appear top left of the screen, and get it to go away again, just by pressing the i+ button on the remote, that would be useful. Just to double-check it really does work like that on that exact model, before I lay myself open to a £95 charge from JL... that would be really helpful!

The OSD is there permanently unless there's a signal on that input - once you have a suitable signal there's three options, no OSD, OSD, clock in lower RHS.

Are you getting this problem only on the HDMI inputs?, or on everything?.
    Forum Member
    The OSD is there permanently unless there's a signal on that input - once you have a suitable signal there's three options, no OSD, OSD, clock in lower RHS.

Are you getting this problem only on the HDMI inputs?, or on everything?.

Very interesting. I am only using HDMI inputs.

I have a DVI to HDMI cable from my laptop into the TV. But I also have a Sony Freeview HDD plus DVD box going into the TV via HDMI and the AV icon won't go away on that either.

Having said that, I suspect that a lot of the time I've been testing this (i.e. pressing the i+ button around 600 times!) I may not have had a live picture going in. So tonight I will try this with HDMI from both the HDD box and the laptop, and make sure I have a live picture while I press it.
    Forum Member
    Success!

I just tried pressing the i+ button *while the picture was active* and the OSD goes away! Hooray!

So all this time I had been pressing the button while the TV was tuned to the input, but no source was actually playing.

Who would have thought it would be so tricky. I hope Sony have now changed the design of this, for their new models!

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help Nigel.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hehehe every Sony TV since about the early 1990's has had this exact feature..... I suspect Nigel will even tell us the first model and year when it was introduced.

I imagine it won't work on a non signal input to make sure you know the TV is on rather than a totally black screen which might appear to be powered off.....what bad luck you didn't try this with a picture on that input.... :D
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Told you so LOL no I am glad you can now watch the picture without the label on screen !
    Forum Member
    Who would have thought it would be so tricky. I hope Sony have now changed the design of this, for their new models!

Certainly not, it's a VERY, VERY valuable feature - it let's you know the TV is working even when there's no input signal.
    Forum Member
    Certainly not, it's a VERY, VERY valuable feature - it let's you know the TV is working even when there's no input signal.

I understand that, but there are other ways it could be designed. For example, they could find an alternative way of indicating a change of state while the OSD is present. Or they could have a separate input indicator that only appears when there is no input signal and also says 'no input detected', but use a different indicator for normal use. There are a hundred ways to design this and remove the problem trap for users.
    Forum Member
    I understand that, but there are other ways it could be designed. For example, they could find an alternative way of indicating a change of state while the OSD is present. Or they could have a separate input indicator that only appears when there is no input signal and also says 'no input detected', but use a different indicator for normal use. There are a hundred ways to design this and remove the problem trap for users.

Sorry, but there's no 'trap', and it works in a similar way to almost all TV's.

Sorry, but you have to be pretty dumb to complain about something on-screen when you're not watching anything, and that disappears when you do watch something,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of the phone call I took once from a customer who could not get their VHS tape picture to display on the TV, after going through all the steps including selecting channel 0 on the TV remote after 10 mins of going around in circles I asked to confirm that they had actually turned the TV on and they were surprised that it needed to be turned on when viewing a video tape.

:D
    Forum Member
    Think you guys missed the point of what I was trying to say.

It's tricky to understand the 'trap' unless you happen to go through the exact sequence of events I went through. Most people would not experience this unless they happened to do things in that specific order.

If you're interested, the details are all there in the posts above. If you just want to call me a fool and have a laugh, that's fine too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe we did but I think most people will agree that the only time people ask how to solve this problem is when they're viewing an image and find the OSD irritating, I honestly cannot remember anyone ever asking how to solve this when not viewing an image.

But hey we'll all different so no offence intended, but regardless it did make me chuckle.