"Torchwood not cancelled" - RTD

Comments

• nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I think he was just repeating what was said at the time. Nobody's cancelled it. Nobody needs to, because nobody was going to make any more. But nice to hear Russell talk so fondly about the possibility of more, even if it is in many years time.

I heard him on the radio during the broadcast. He's such a jolly and enthusiastic person. He talked about he and Moffat being committed to the BBC and their love for it making them want to come back despite temptation to do otherwise. He said Moffat could have earned millions by doing something else with the Weeping Angels idea, but instead gave them to Doctor Who. Obviously the BBC is, rightly, under the critical spotlight at the moment so I thought his enthusiasm was interesting. Of course if his personal life was different RTD might be making it in America, but his comments sounded entirely sincere. And it was generous of him to mention Moffat, given that he was there to publicise his new show.

I haven't seen the wizards thing yet, but he's hoping it will have about ten years in it.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never understood why Torchwood was mucked up as much as it was. The first 2 series were awesome but then they really dropped the ball with it.

Children of Earth was good, but it was nowhere near as good as the series format, part of the fun of Torchwood was the stand alone episodes and Children of Earth just made everything so serious.

Miracle Day was also good in it's own right. It dragged on a bit too long and again I would have liked to have seen a return to a series format, not one story over the course of the series.

Still loads of things they can explore though. Would be a shame if it didn't return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I have massive respect for RTD, his record speaks for itself and he's probably given me more hours of viewing pleasure than any other writer, but that American series of Torchwood was an absolute franchise-killing car-crash. I think we need a good five plus years of "limbo" before anyone even considers resurrecting it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be nice if there was a little information about Torchwood, saying it's in limbo isn't really anything we've not known. Perhaps, given that it is spin-off of Doctor Who, there's something brewing for the 50th, but I doubt that unfortunately.
    I agree with RTD about waiting for a while otherwise, let the Miracle Day puzzlement die down and bring it back all new and shiny. Hey, Karen Gillan's cousin could be cast in it :p
    The only problem with that is obviously what happens to Jack and Gwen post-MD!
    Forum Member
    I don't think he could have been more clear about it than he already has been. Neither he nor anyone else is doing any work at all on Torchwood. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not in any time in the foreseeable future. Maybe, one day, in several years time, he might think about doing more. Perhaps. Possibly.

What else does he need to say before this is understood?
  • StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the feeling like with many others I have no particular desire to see any more Torchwood made at the moment. Miracle Day was something of a letdown for me especially after Children of Earth. I also seriously hope they don't carry on from the lame "Plan B" cliffhanger ending. By that time I had more than enough of Miracle Day.
    "It's not officially [cancelled]. It's in a nice limbo where it can stew - those shows can come back in ten, 20 years time."

If it worked with Doctor Who... maybe it can work with Torchwood too.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I don't think he could have been more clear about it than he already has been. Neither he nor anyone else is doing any work at all on Torchwood. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not in any time in the foreseeable future. Maybe, one day, in several years time, he might think about doing more. Perhaps. Possibly.

What else does he need to say before this is understood?

I think the point is very well made and understandable.

My only concern is that if the show is left 5 years or so is the age factor with Jack Barrowman. He's already 45, and though 50 is a young age these days, the character of Captain Jack is that he's not supposed to age that much because he's immortal. With that in mind it makes you wonder with that scenario how much longer he'd want to play him??

Not only that my personal view is that they should just bring the show back home and forget America. Let RTD write it for Wales again and get back to how it originally was, or at least something akin to COE.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed Miracle Day, would love to see some more Torchwood
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    As long as Doctor Who's still going there's always a chance that it might come back some day, but I hope if it does, it's in the UK.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

My only concern is that if the show is left 5 years or so is the age factor with Jack Barrowman. He's already 45, and though 50 is a young age these days, the character of Captain Jack is that he's not supposed to age that much because he's immortal. With that in mind it makes you wonder with that scenario how much longer he'd want to play him??

Not only that my personal view is that they should just bring the show back home and forget America. Let RTD write it for Wales again and get back to how it originally was, or at least something akin to COE.

:)

Could always continue it as a radio play series, preferably set before the end of series 2 with the original cast.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also liked miracle day. JB is great as Captain Jack. Really hoping he appears in the 50th special next year. As for Torchwood who knows?. If they do it well it would be worth the wait. Plus if EM can't be in it as Gwen cast someone new to be her adult daughter Anwen. S
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also liked miracle day. JB is great as Captain Jack. Really hoping he appears in the 50th special next year. As for Torchwood who knows?. If they do it well it would be worth the wait. Plus if EM can't be in it as Gwen cast someone new to be her adult daughter Anwen. She is jacks niece/god daugher after all. She is the one girl he couldn't flirt with.
    Out of respect to her parents and the fact he is family in an emotional if not biological way.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miracle Day was nowhere near as some fans make out. I enjoyed it far more than Children of Earth.

Still nowhere near the greatness that was series 1 and 2 though. The rift is still churning out monsters, get Jack and Gwen back to Cardiff to create a new team to fight the menance. Let Rex have his Torchwood USA with some crossovers once in a while.
    Forum Member

I was answering the post above mine, which was from someone who did think ambiguity remained.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children of Earth was awesome... they should have stopped there :o:(
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Children of Earth was excellent. The pacing, the characters and the moral dilemmas.

The worst Torchwood was Miracle Day, IMHO of course. While the premise was great and some aspects were well done, it struggled with pace, irrelevant subplots and a frankly awful denouement. The thing looked like an undercooked sausage.

It first jumped the shark for me when Jack went off for some random sex. It seemed gratuitous.

It was good to see Gwen take out the helicopter with a rocket propelled grenade launcher. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Any chance of getting more Jack works for me. Russell has to look after his partner so TW couldn't be co-written as it was however, there is an alternative in the recently published book Exodus Code witten by JB and his sister. I couls be turned into a short series or film. I hope they might consider that.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I was answering the post above mine, which was from someone who did think ambiguity remained.

Yes, I know and I was agreeing with you!
    Forum Member
    Yes, I know and I was agreeing with you!

I agree with agreeing with me and agree with you also. Agreed? ;)
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Torchwood comes back on our screens soon. Jack and Gwen are two of my favorite characters in the doctor who universe.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miracle Day wasn't the best but it was still decent viewing. If Tw did return I think it should return to the series format, with standalone episodes, though there is still a story arc.
  • BeerCupsBeerCups Posts: 149
    Forum Member

I think they could get around this easily, we know that far in the future Captain Jack becomes the Face Of Boe, so he could in effect age ever so slowly, and a return for him could be possible, although he would probably have to travel back in time from possibly thousands of years in the future.
  • GrafelfingGrafelfing Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Because of the wildly varaible quality of Torchwood, I don't think that you can conclusively say that more would be good or bad.

Based on its previous record, it could be brilliant, okay, dull, terrible or all of the above.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think they're better off ending it to be honest.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen Torchwood, should I?