Are Google Play Purchases Tied to Account or Device?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically, I have a tablet where the Android OS has developed a problem and I am going to have to either remove the Honeycomb OS and take it to Android 4.0 or else reinstall Honeycomb. However, first I wanted to check that I would be able to re-download all the apps I have purchased by logging into my Google account or are the apps tied in some way to the device (or version of Android) they are installed on?

For those technically minded, I have included details of the problem I have with my tablet: I have a Hannspree Hanspad (10 inch Model 1653). As by default this tablet came with a highly limited install of Android 2.2 which didn't have the Google Play Store, I decided to upgrade it to Android 3 (Honeycomb). There wasn't a manufacturer supported option so I did it using the files other people had developed specifically for this tablet. It actually installed fine and ran great for good six months but then I started to find that the Play store wouldn't connect, just displayed loading sign and white screen. Seemed to affect all Google services as Gmail would load but not be able to update the inbox, it's getting a connection though as non-google services like the Amazon store do still work. Everything I have downloaded in the past still works but without the store, I can't download any more apps or get updates for my existing ones.

I did try re-installing the Store but this only worked for a couple of times then the problem returned.

Any ideas RE the main question or with my tablet problem greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downloaded my paid apps when my tablet died and it was replaced. I had the same concern as you.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purchases are registered against the account.

You have a larger problem though, in that your device is not a Google certified device so it isn't actually eligible to use the Play Store.

It's possible Google have made improvements to how they detect ineligible devices which is why it keeps shutting you out.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as mentioned its most likely play store app has been updated and is no longer compatible with your hacked image. if there is a support forum for your image it would probably be worth checking on there.
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic-ish but I wanna know when google will allow payment from airtime credit? Im sure it was promised as coming soon many moons ago.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic-ish but I wanna know when google will allow payment from airtime credit? Im sure it was promised as coming soon many moons ago.
    Vodafone and T-Mobile offer it, but it's only available on recent branded handsets.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Purchases are registered against the account.

You have a larger problem though, in that your device is not a Google certified device so it isn't actually eligible to use the Play Store.

It's possible Google have made improvements to how they detect ineligible devices which is why it keeps shutting you out.

Yes, I suspect this is what has happened, though I fail to see why they want to block the tablet as they still get the money from purchased apps just as they would on any other tablet and it is actually a very capable tablet and is more than capable of running most of the apps and games on there very smoothly, my last tablet was a far poorer specification, a cheap and nasty Elonex eTouch, yet had full store access despite being incapable of running anything on there at a usable speed.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    as mentioned its most likely play store app has been updated and is no longer compatible with your hacked image. if there is a support forum for your image it would probably be worth checking on there.

The problem is I can't actually remember exactly what image I used or indeed the procedure I used to install it as I, rather naively it seems, thought it was something I would only have to do once in the tablets lifetime.

Since Android 4 is now rather mature I think I would probably be better served looking for an Android 4 ICS image for the tablet, just hope this doesn't happen all over again, don't want to be reinstalling every few months, thanks to Google. :mad:
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Yes, I suspect this is what has happened, though I fail to see why they want to block the tablet as they still get the money from purchased apps just as they would on any other tablet and it is actually a very capable tablet and is more than capable of running most of the apps and games on there very smoothly, my last tablet was a far poorer specification, a cheap and nasty Elonex eTouch, yet had full store access despite being incapable of running anything on there at a usable speed.

Bit in Bold - the reason that Google don't allow Hanspree access to the Google Play Store is that Hanspree haven't paid them for the license to use the Google Apps Suite on their device.

Android OS is a free OS for developers to use, but the Google Apps Suite (Play Store, Maps etc) isn't free. It has to be licensed from Google in exchange for a per device fee.