Last action hero.

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why was this a flop at the movies? It was a enjoyed movie. So many funny jokes and i like the fact the fourth wall was broken so funny shame it did poor in the movies.Arnold Schwarzenegger was a legend in it.

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon that a lot of fans of his usual type of action movies didn't take well to the subversive and very different approach it took.
    I think many would have found it unsettling and just weird to see all his previous movies deconstructed before their very eyes.
    I think that the majority of people who watch mainstream movies are more comfortable with familiarity. But this was more like Woody Allen's Purple Rose of Cairo in many ways.
    It was quite a brave film to make if you think about it.

I thought it was one of his best though.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iirc, it was affected by Jurassic Park being released the week before and the fact the mix of comedy and action meant it didn't appeal to audiences of either, and it wasn't well received critically.

It's not a bad film though.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was my favourite film as a kid, i loved it. Great film!
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a smarter film than most give it credit for. Certainly one of Arnie's better films.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    "Magic Ticket my ass McBain!"

:D:p

I also liked the film :D
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always like this movie.

Charles Dance was a great baddie.

Loved the scene where he lowers his sunglasses to reveal a smilie glass eye.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite funny when it's set in the 'film' world, absolute tosh when it's not. Another of Arnie interminable 'palling around with a kid' films.

The 'highly trained dogs' gag is the best thing in it.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think ther was problems with the studio and director. Numberous changes, cuts, went way over budget.

I still absolutely love it.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always hoped they'd do a director's cut of this , it was rushed at the end and a lot of things were changed/dropped .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I always like this movie.

Charles Dance was a great baddie.
    Loved the scene where he lowers his sunglasses to reveal a smilie glass eye.

loved his different eye lol
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't realise it was a flop
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very much under-rated film. But expectations were high and the critics were lining up to have a bash at Arnie following the massive success he had with Total Recall and (especially) Terminator 2. I think it was very much a case of a lot of reviewers jumping on the bandwagon and becoming part of the posse.