BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    He must be quite popular then in the real world. Believe it or not in the world outside Digital Spy both Derbyshire and Bacon are actually quite popular and I rate them both highly as broadcasters.

And more to the point the boss at 5 live rates them both highly.

Both of course have won awards as speech broadcasters. This does not invalidate the Digital Spy's contributors views. What it does do is remind us that the critics here have opinions that are not universally shared.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Phil Williams! Just had a lady on who admitted that she tried to kill herself & will do so again. Now despite my feeling that she shouldn't have been put on at all, he handled it really well. Stayed calm & asked sensible questions. None of Nolan's prying & hushed tones, whilst quietly rubbing his hands together.
    Well handled Phil, pity you were placed in that situation.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    And more to the point the boss at 5 live rates them both highly.

Both of course have won awards as speech broadcasters. This does not invalidate the Digital Spy's contributors views. What it does do is remind us that the critics here have opinions that are not universally shared.

But awards ceremonies are just back slapping exercises from within the media they vote within their own circle and are no greater a judge or gauge of quality than any public person in DS or otherwise is who holds an opinion on a show or presenter.

Winning an award doesn't mean popularity with the public necessarily & lots of people seem to like Simon Cowell s dross he churns out doesn't make it good quality.

Actually that just reminded me I did enjoy part of Phil Williams show last night the interview with the A and R man was quite interesting & more of that is good.
    In fact more with all sorts of people who work behind scenes would be welcome in sport , media, businesses whatever....

Unfortunately back to dreary team talk again right now....I thought football season was over....now it's managers jobs.... :(
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    Well done Phil Williams! Just had a lady on who admitted that she tried to kill herself & will do so again. Now despite my feeling that she shouldn't have been put on at all, he handled it really well. Stayed calm & asked sensible questions. None of Nolan's prying & hushed tones, whilst quietly rubbing his hands together.
    Well handled Phil, pity you were placed in that situation.

Why shouldn't she have been on? It was very moving which is what radio should be sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    But awards ceremonies are just back slapping exercises from within the media they vote within their own circle and are no greater a judge or gauge of quality than any public person in DS or otherwise is who holds an opinion on a show or presenter.

Winning an award doesn't mean popularity with the public necessarily & lots of people seem to like Simon Cowell s dross he churns out doesn't make it good quality.

Actually that just reminded me I did enjoy part of Phil Williams show last night the interview with the A and R man was quite interesting & more of that is good.
    In fact more with all sorts of people who work behind scenes would be welcome in sport , media, businesses whatever....

Unfortunately back to dreary team talk again right now....I thought football season was over....now it's managers jobs.... :(

I don't doubt your views on Derbyshire and Bacon are strongly held. However there is no evidence that their listening figures are out of kilter with the rest of the daytime shows. I don't have strong views one way or the other. Awards are of course only opinions but they do count for something when it comes to getting work. I suspect other [people who you do like have also been honoured.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    For certain awards you would normally have to submit rajar and or any other research which proves their popularity.

I totally understand that everyone hs an opinion and it will differ from person to person. What does annoy me is when people mix their opinion up with facts abd claim a certain presenter isn't popular when that isn't the case they may not be popular on here but then Chris Evans takes a fair slating on here and he has the number 1 show in the country and hss increased his audience.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    charon7 wrote: »
    C hris Warburton did his usual good job, riding shotgun on Drive this evening.

I do like Warburton and think his Saturday Edition is a good show and have previously suggested him as a replacement for Bacon.

Having two male hosts for Drive gave us a break from the false laughter that Peter’s female co-hosts feel they need to do in response to any lame joke he makes.
    I don't doubt your views on Derbyshire and Bacon are strongly held. However there is no evidence that their listening figures are out of kilter with the rest of the daytime shows.

If they actually published the breakdown of listening figures by programme we would know. With year on year listening figures declining over the last few years and linear listening down by 10% in a year everything is not rosy. When you say Derbyshire and Bacon’s listening figures are not out of kilter are you suggesting they are all declining at the same rate?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miliband's social security speech. He mentions a limit on how long a person can remain on job seekers allowance. derbyshire twice states this is new policy. Needed to be reminded by John pienaar that this is already oppo policy. Dpes she research anything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Streaky

Like you I would like to see a detailed breakdown of the RAJARS.

Given the fact that staff grumbling about Derbyshire has been leaked I suspect strongly that if her audience figures were way out of line with say the Lunchtime show we would have found out about it by now.

I also suspect that Mister Wall's boss would have intervened in shows like the mid morning and afternoon had shown a dip in listening, he or she would have intervened.

As I say I am not knocking your opinions at all but that is what they are....opinions not facts.
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    We all seem to be a bit down on Five Live at the minute. I still think it is the best station around. Largely because it is a service which often trumps the people who bring the service to the table.

I often want to hear about they are talking about more than who is saying it. I have no axe to grind with any of the usual suspects. Nicky Campbell stretches this theory a little...but largely I don';t have a problem with the presenters.

That said, Five Live have messed up the evening programmes, whatever others may say, I still think Livesey was great and is sorely missed. I have no problem with Phil Williams apart from him not being Livesey. I miss the mixture that Livesey brought. Phil Williams is just ok. And yes, the quiz needs binning...and the new hour needs more content.

The Question Time programme is just plain stupid and whilst we are on about stupid, I see no earthly reason for the Five Live Big Day Out or whatever the rubbish was called...this is a news and sport station, please stick to it. If I wanted the Radio One Big Weekender I would have gone to Radio One and been very disappointed is they were discussing UKIPs prospects...each to their own.

Rant over...on the whole it is a great radio station with interesting stories brought to us in a professional and entertaining way.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Warburton and think his Saturday Edition is a good show and have previously suggested him as a replacement for Bacon.

Having two male hosts for Drive gave us a break from the false laughter that Peter’s female co-hosts feel they need to do in response to any lame joke he makes.

If they actually published the breakdown of listening figures by programme we would know. With year on year listening figures declining over the last few years and linear listening down by 10% in a year everything is not rosy. When you say Derbyshire and Bacon’s listening figures are not out of kilter are you suggesting they are all declining at the same rate?

Been a severe case of diminishing returns on females partnered with Peter Allen since the halcyon days of Jane Garvey. Anita Anand was ok, Aasmah Mir was a humourless ninny with a hugely inflated opinion of her broadcasting talent. As for Anna Foster, words just fail me.
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    He must be quite popular then in the real world. Believe it or not in the world outside Digital Spy both Derbyshire and Bacon are actually quite popular and I rate them both highly as broadcasters.

Well I wish they would find somewhere outside Five Live to go to as well because they are driving the hard core Five Live day time listeners who thrive on a diet of high quality news and sports news mad. Five Live could offer so much more.
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Been a severe case of diminishing returns on females partnered with Peter Allen since the halcyon days of Jane Garvey. Anita Anand was ok, Aasmah Mir was a humourless ninny with a hugely inflated opinion of her broadcasting talent. As for Anna Foster, words just fail me.

You are so right. Peter Allen has carried so many after Jane. Although I quite like Louise Minchin.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could I forget Louise Minchin, an utterly delightful broadcaster. A presenter with a permanent smile in her voice.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Well I wish they would find somewhere outside Five Live to go to as well because they are driving the hard core Five Live day time listeners who thrive on a diet of high quality news and sports news mad. Five Live could offer so much more.

I've said it before on this thread, but I'll say it again. I really like Richard Bacon's show. For me it has the right mix of interview and feature without constantly rehashing the day's news or depressing the hell out of me. I used to listen to 5 most of the day if I wasn't working, but now I do Breakfast for an hour or so, then switch to 6 Music until 2 when I listen to Bacon, unless it's Wednesday and then I'll catch PMQs at 12 until they start over-dissecting it. I'll give Drive another half hour at 4 and then back to 6 for the early evening.

To conclude: Bacon's is the one show on 5 I will actively tune in to and listen to most of it.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Streaky

Like you I would like to see a detailed breakdown of the RAJARS.

Given the fact that staff grumbling about Derbyshire has been leaked I suspect strongly that if her audience figures were way out of line with say the Lunchtime show we would have found out about it by now.

I also suspect that Mister Wall's boss would have intervened in shows like the mid morning and afternoon had shown a dip in listening, he or she would have intervened.

As I say I am not knocking your opinions at all but that is what they are....opinions not facts.

Until they give separate figures figures for shows Phil opinions are what will be given -strangely one part of the BBC seems obsessed with the merits of the freedom of info act while when it's time to ask them they aren't so keen - many 5live message boarders submitted various requests all rejected for corporate confidentiality reasons...
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That said, Five Live have messed up the evening programmes, whatever others may say, I still think Livesey was great and is sorely missed. I have no problem with Phil Williams apart from him not being Livesey. I miss the mixture that Livesey brought. Phil Williams is just ok. And yes, the quiz needs binning...and the new hour needs more content.

Tony Livesey used to drive me insane with his continuous banal " Text us if your eating chips in your underwear " etc items :mad:

At least we don't have that with Phil Williams
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with radiotuner; I miss Tony Livesy's show. I even liked Team Talk. The programme was exactly what I wanted at the end of a crap day.
    But I still haven't worked out who the Tony/Phil swap was more beneficial for. It can't have been an upwards move for both of them.
  • charon7charon7 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    How could I forget Louise Minchin, an utterly delightful broadcaster. A presenter with a permanent smile in her voice.

Totally agree, an excellent addition to Drive.
  • ukebraukebra Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    She is excellent, and seems so much more professional than Anna Foster, who sounds (as previously mentioned I believe) very 'needy' - almost plaintive.
    While I'm here, why does Richard Bacon repeat everything? We are listening; we did get it the first time.
    And weekend breakfast has not gelled yet; there seems to be no rapport between Tony Livesey and the tremendous Eleanor Oldroyd. He is very tabloid and she is not; maybe that's it.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RB repeats everything because he thinks his audience are Numpties.

Ukebra I agree with you about Anna Foster & Tony Livesey.

I see VD's not in the studio again !

I heard Peter Allen say the other day that he's in Manchester Mon -Fri
  • charon7charon7 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    ukebra wrote: »
    She is excellent, and seems so much more professional than Anna Foster, who sounds (as previously mentioned I believe) very 'needy' - almost plaintive.
    While I'm here, why does Richard Bacon repeat everything? We are listening; we did get it the first time.
    And weekend breakfast has not gelled yet; there seems to be no rapport between Tony Livesey and the tremendous Eleanor Oldroyd. He is very tabloid and she is not; maybe that's it.

Louise recently featured in a local magazine, in which she said that she used to live in a terraced house in South London, but now she lives in a village in the Cheshire countryside, and says she "Does`nt miss London at all"

• radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A significant increase in pre recorded interviews from empress derbyshire programme - must be a strategy to reduce all the 'bear with us' es ems and oks. Today the leading feature was a lady whose daughter had been missing for four years. Really depressimg radio. Why dont they go the whole hog and get Prozac to sponsor the Slash Wrists Hour?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    God there was yet another awful phone in this morning about Cancer. What is the obsession of the BBC with Cancer, rape, pregnancy, z listers and Tory cuts?

I'm sick of it. I switched to TS but Radio 5 really is turning into some cheap audio version of a womans magazine.
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I agree that the Tony Livesey Eleanor Oldroyd blend just hasn't flowed yet. I think it is because some broadcasters (Livesey being one) are better on their own...I don't know why...they just are.
    I get the impression Stephen Nolan has no intention of sharing parity with Jon Pinnear.

Eleanor and Phil worked better together, as he also did with Rachel Burden and Anna Foster.

For me, Tony is great on his own. Actually, so is Eleanor...but she also works well with others.

Does anyone else agree or disagree that some presenters should only work on their own...whilst others are ideal for two working together.
This discussion has been closed.