Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    This is the best programme i've seen for a long time. I loved it, some of the lines were exceptional. Great social commentary runs through it also, that seems to go over a lot of peoples heads.

The only thing is i've seen two episodes now and ended up crying during both of them. I'm someone who very rarely ever cries so its weird to me how much power this show has over me. I never expected that to happen.

[highlight]5 STARS ***** unmissable TV[/highlight]

Absolutely agree. RG did the same thing with the Office and Extras, just a few scenes that go right to your heart, and as you say it goes over so many peoples heads due to their pre-conceptions and desire to slag off RG at every turn.

The scene with Dougie and the toaster was brilliant. We have all this red tape wrapping up everything and making life so much more difficult and expensive, but there he was, just a bloke who knew how to wire a plug, doing it so that the old folks could have some toast.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. RG did the same thing with the Office and Extras, just a few scenes that go right to your heart, and as you say it goes over so many peoples heads due to their pre-conceptions and desire to slag off RG at every turn.

The scene with Dougie and the toaster was brilliant. We have all this red tape wrapping up everything and making life so much more difficult and expensive, but there he was, just a bloke who knew how to wire a plug, doing it so that the old folks could have some toast.

BIB: The best part of the show. Not sure there is enough in this to keep me watching. I'm sure there will be a few more classic moments in the series, but far too much dross to wade through for the nuggets of gold.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best programme i've seen for a long time. I loved it, some of the lines were exceptional. Great social commentary runs through it also, that seems to go over a lot of peoples heads.

The only thing is i've seen two episodes now and ended up crying during both of them.
    I'm someone who very rarely ever cries so its weird to me how much power this show has over me. I never expected that to happen.

Get a grip.And get out more.:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is only unmissable, if you're firing a gun at the telly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Ricky Gervaise is clever and perceptive, but I don't think he likes people like that much.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ricky Gervaise is clever and perceptive, but I don't think he likes people like that much.

Perhaps he likes John, Paul and so forth, though.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Get a grip.And get out more.:p

Says a poster on a forum :D.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    can't tell what you're saying there , are you now arguing that he's a good actor ?
    I'm arguing that many seem to think so.
    yeah , the elderly are treated as background characters .
    Because it's a documentary about the providers, not receivers.
    not sure how that relates to what I said . I was saying the music is sh!t .
    You asked if it was a parody of documentary music, I pointed out that while it was clearly chosen for it's similarity to it, the documentary style was just a plot device, so probably not.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Office hit the ground running and just got better with a good suited cast in roles that were each a contribution to the success.

This is far more limited so it would seem, with weirdly, some small characters who are not going to be popular, adding nothing to draw and retain viewers. Might improve, but seems hurried and whilst Gervais wants to make his social and political points, his central platform is comedy, not pathos and without, find it hard to expect more series.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Gervais' Derek is the Emperor's New Clothes for the modern era.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

How'd you figure that out? It's not exactly critically acclaimed, and who is pretending it's great? Most people seem to think it's pretty bad.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm arguing that many seem to think so.

so you're arguing against your own point :confused:

Because it's a documentary about the providers, not receivers

it really isn't a documentary you know . :p
    and that supports my point - the elderly are just background which doesn't help the patronising twaddle about how important the elderly are .
    You asked if it was a parody of documentary music, I pointed out that while it was clearly chosen for it's similarity to it, the documentary style was just a plot device, so probably not

yeah , that's what I was saying , and it was awful .
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't agree with this at all. Ricky Gervais has always been a marmite character, no-one seems to be in the middle. I am a massive fan, ever since his XFM days.

Have loved everything he has done but did not like Life's Too Short at all. I absolutely adore Derek, but I am in the minority in my circle of friends. Luckily, my OH feels the same as me about him which makes for easier tv viewing. :D
  • cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the pilot and thought that Ricky Gervais has done a wonderful job with the character called Derek. Funny and very moving in parts.

Nicky Clark summed it up nicely and with her interview with Ricky Gervais.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/01/ricky-gervais-derek-kindest-most-compassionate-character-ive-ever-written
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    ............Have loved everything he has done but did not like Life's Too Short at all. ...........

Err....yes.....okay.
  • NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Fantastic
    Backstory showing if things were left to those of us without an agenda, or wrapping people up in cotton wool in the name of safety, then life would be a lot better and less frustrating
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Derek is the best show Ricky has ever made :)

This ones only dreadful :(
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 7,874
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    I loved parts of it (the compassion, the kindness and the performances of the actors playing Hannah and Dougie).

Like other posters, I found Kev a really jarring presence, introducing a completely incongruous coarseness that seemed to belong to a different show, and spoiling every scene he appeared in. I got the feeling he was doing the job previously played by Finchy in The Office or Greg in Extras: the obligatory unsympathetic character so we had someone to loathe.

The real revelation for me was Karl Pilkington. He was totally convincing and incredibly natural.

Pretty much what I thought (having seen the pilot and episode 1 for the first time today).

Dougie and Hannah do stand out, Kev appears to be there just to provide a hate figure - which seems to have worked!

As for Derek, RG is far better than i'd expected after reading some of the posts on here, and seemed to have toned down since the pilot. Seems much more sympathetic than i'd expected, and quite a likeable character.

The scenes when they brought in the pets were really sweet, and there were a few moments in both episodes that brought a lump to the throat - much more sensitively handled than i'd feared.

I can appreciate why many don't like it, particularly those who didn't like RG too much to start with - but it's a million miles better than Life's Too Short. When I first heard about the show, I like many others probably thought it could be 30 minutes of mocking the disabled or elderly - it's good to see it's not like that. It has areas where it could improve, but it's a pretty good start in an area where it's easy to cause offence...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I actually quite liked it!

The one thing I'd say is, I don't think Derek's character is even needed in it! He was quite jarring for me and I didn't feel like he added anything. Maybe it's just the way RG is playing him. I think it would have worked amazingly as a comedy set in a carehome with the few odd (subtle) characters.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually quite liked it!

The one thing I'd say is, I don't think Derek's character is even needed in it! He was quite jarring for me and I didn't feel like he added anything. Maybe it's just the way RG is playing him. I think it would have worked amazingly as a comedy set in a carehome with the few odd (subtle) characters.

I think I agree. I think they could make a great show mainly focusing on Dougie and Hannah as the main characters. Give them more time to flesh them out more. It feels like the Derek character doesn't seem to fit and that everything seems to stop for a 'Derek scene' until it restarts again. It doesn't seem to flow very well for me. Unlike the scenes with just Karl in, or Kerry in, or Karl with Kerry, which I find to be a lot more engaging to watch.

I think it probably is just the way he's playing him. If they just got a very good actor playing a character who's very nice but perhaps not that bright, it could possibly work a lot better. The way Ricky's playing him seems just too cartoonish, if you know what I mean. Which might work if the other characters were cartoonish as well, but they're not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member

I think it probably is just the way he's playing him. If they just got a very good actor playing a character who's very nice but perhaps not that bright, it could possibly work a lot better. The way Ricky's playing him seems just too cartoonish, if you know what I mean. Which might work if the other characters were cartoonish as well, but they're not.

Exactly!
    It's like everything else is quite dry and dark, and then he's just trying to be slapstick and it just doesn't fit with the rest of the show.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly!
    It's like everything else is quite dry and dark, and then he's just trying to be slapstick and it just doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

I guess his reasoning would be that's the purpose, that he's there to act as a counterbalance. But for me it doesn't really work. It's as if he should be in Father Ted, or as a character Jim Carrey might play in a wacky comedy film or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Yeah, i don't 'get it' yet, but also i'm not really paying much attention, that's probably the problem :p
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I agree. I think they could make a great show mainly focusing on Dougie and Hannah as the main characters. Give them more time to flesh them out more. It feels like the Derek character doesn't seem to fit and that everything seems to stop for a 'Derek scene' until it restarts again. It doesn't seem to flow very well for me. Unlike the scenes with just Karl in, or Kerry in, or Karl with Kerry, which I find to be a lot more engaging to watch.

:rolleyes: the show is called derek - if you dont like how derek is being played, and you dont like derek then dont watch this show and go write your own maybe....Seriously, talk about pulling something to pieces till there's nothing left. :confused:
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes: the show is called derek - if you dont like how derek is being played, and you dont like derek then dont watch this show and go write your own maybe....Seriously, talk about pulling something to pieces till there's nothing left. :confused:

Actually, it seemed to me that alrightmate's post was considered, well argued and grammatically correct. Unlike many FMs' posts.

Maybe the show deserves being 'pulled to pieces till there's nothing left); that wouldn't be my opinion, but if someone is of that opinion, that's fine.