The Radio 1 ageism/relevant artists row.

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been reading a lot lately about the whole Robbie thing, and how radio 1 refuse to play his number 1 hit as he is no longer relevant, or more likely they think he is 'too old'. Which is bizarre considering they have no issue with there ancient DJ's.
Alot of journalists have mentioned that radio one have no issue playing 'Madonna' for example, but won't play Robbie.
The thing is, radio one don't play Madonna anymore! They also don't play Britney and they don't play Christina! They don't playlist JLo anymore either !
I also remember the issue where taio Cruz's hit song 'higher' was playlisted, but they refused to play the main version featuring kylie, and instead opted to play a far inferior version with a pointless rap from Travis mccoy

Robbie really needn't feel left out !! He is far from the only victim of radio ones misguided playlist decisions.
And in reflection of the fact that since they stopped playing these 'over the hill' artists, there was a report recently that the station had failed to meet the under 35 demographic they are meant to be attracting.

Is it time that radio one just stuck to being a pop station instead of all these horrendous attempts to look cool.
That new breakfast show presenter is abysmal !

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel Gallagher was asked about Radio 1 last year because they wouldn't play his songs as he was considered too old... despite his album going in at number one. He didn't seem too fussed and just said he had his time though and now it's someone elses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Robbie was quite gracious in his response to questions about R1 and gave an opinion similar to Noel's.

My personal feeling on it is that it's a shame that R1 is moving in this direction as the target audience is missing out on a lot of great music. I grew up in the US & Ireland and I actually prefer Irish national radio as it has more of a broad mix and I was exposed to music old and new. US radio is far more genre-specific, which is perhaps the direction in which UK radio is headed, but I'm not a huge fan of the system.

With regards to Robbie, I wonder who is actually buying Candy because I don't know if I know anyone who would generally be RW fans or into RW songs here and there that is also a fan of this song. The single sales are a lot stronger than the album sales so I wonder has R1's target audience bought it and if so, has R1 made the wrong decision in RW's case?
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ageism is a true shame. In my opinion, it's something that the music industry should be trying to relinquish. Matured artists like Jennifer Lopez, Robbie Williams and Mariah Carey still have much to offer musically, but because of something as simple as a two digit number they are ignored and left to fade into a musical black hole. It doesn't matter what age an artist is, if they make good music I don't see the problem. I would happily listen to a radio station that played a Rihanna song followed by a Robbie Williams song followed by an Amelia Lily song followed by a Mariah Carey song.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 aren't ageist. They played Dr. Dre last year, and he's older than Robbie, Kylie and Noel.

Also, the Kylie version wasn't the main version of Higher. There was the album version which just had Taio, which was the original version. Then for the single release they remixed it, they had a version with Kylie, a version with Travie, and a version with BOTH Travie and Kylie.

The version with both Kylie and Travie was the one that sold the most, the one that the OCC uses to credit the song. So I'd argue that was the main version, which Radio 1 should've played, but it would still have the raps in.
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I would happily listen to a radio station that played a Rihanna song followed by a Robbie Williams song followed by an Amelia Lily song followed by a Mariah Carey song.

I agree. Back in late 2005, you probably could've actually heard Rihanna, Robbie and Mariah next to each other on the main radio stations. But it's changed a lot since then, I think there's less variety on the radio now. It wasn't very long ago when you think about it, it's scary how fast things change.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, they are ageist and there should be room for older artists on there. But I don't think it's true if an older artist isn't played on Radio 1 they fall into a black hole. Robbie Williams and Mariah Carey still do quite well as far as sales. Older artists don't really need radio airplay that much because they have their dedicated fans who will buy their music regardless. Whereas with a younger artist just starting out if they don't get radio airplay they will never get any fans to begin with and won't have a chance to ever have a career. Fair or unfair, there are only a limited number of spots on the radio for songs so maybe stations think why not give younger artists a chance since older artists already have their audience and fans and it's not like if they don't get played their careers will be over. A lot of older artists have a thriving touring career so it's not like not being played on Radio 1 is the end for them and they can't make money or be in the spotlight.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top 40 chart:

Psy- Gangnam Style- aged 34
    Robbie Williams- Candy= aged 38
    Swedish House Mafia-Dont U worry Child- aged 34, 29 & 29
    Maroon 5- one more night- aged 33, 33, 34, 42 (!!!), & 33
    Jason Mraz- I wont give up - .. (in spite of being) aged 35
    Christina Aguilera-Your Body- aged 31
    the script & Will.i.am- Hall of Fame - the Script: aged 32, 36, 33 & Will.i.am an ancient 37 (!!) time for the pension book Grandad!!!
    I cry- Flo Rida- aged 32
    Ne Yo- Let me love you- aged 30
    She wolf- David Guetta ft Sia - David Guetta - aged 45(!!!), Sia- aged 36... combined age 81 (!!!) Older than Cliff!
    Fun- Some nights- aged 30, 29 & 28
    Try- Pink-aged 33

... I wish Radio 1 would stop playing "irrelevant" artists like these, esp people like Will,i.am, Sweddish House Mafia, David Guetta, Psy etc as they are either over, or suspiciously close to the 35 age group which the new regime at Radio 1 seem to think is worse than death!!:rolleyes:
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waldstein i think it's the same as Take That and lead album singles they do really well then the album sells loads and the singles still over time sell moderatly.

Also there used to be Take That fans who didn't like Robbie as a solo artist but perhaps have come round to him since he rejoined the band perhaps seeing the old Robbie. His loyal fanbase and those who like TT could have helped his single.

The track also sounds very current and the type of thing Olly Murs puts out which is why it's done better than what people may have thought.
    Robbie changed labels after seeing how well TT are marketed and managed and this may have helped to as more effort and strategy been used. He has appeared on a lot more shows than i believe he has in a long time. I don't remember him going on Graham Norton and shows like that for years etc but could be wrong.

On another note i just wish radio 1 broadened the playlist the same handful of songs seem to get played over and over in a day. They play Take That so i don't understand the logic in not playing solo Robbie!?
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the word relevant! lol To be relevant now, sadly you have to be shit and make drivel. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Maybe they're just not playing Williams because his 'music' is rubbish? Just a thought...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Musicjukebox123, they are some very good points you raised and ones I hadn't considered. You're right, he hasn't done a promotional drive to this extent in many years. What struck me is that the promotion seemed to be more driven towards the single rather than the album and perhaps that's one of the reasons (along with those you mentioned and the fact that album sales in general are poor this year) why the single sold so well and the album first week sales were quite disappointing. I expect there'll be later promotional events such as Royal Variety and the Sky broadcast of one of the O2 shows that will push the album sales further and into the Xmas period.

The one thing that's different to TT's case is that their first week album sales are always huge and Take The Crown wasn't. Ss far as I'm aware both Robbie's last studio album and his last greatest hits compilation had much better first week sales than his new one. Album sales decline aside, I was quite surprised by this.

Crazymonk, I'd love to see who decides what's relevant! I wonder are there criteria, spreadsheets and pie charts :D Didn't R1 exclude Moves Like Jagger from their playlists also? I'm not a fan of that song at all but to say it's irrelevant is a bit ridiculous considering it's one of the biggest hits of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have A-listed the new Girls Aloud song... not sure how they can bend over for Girls Aloud when they have hardly even shifted over 10 million records over 10 years.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may sound well not great but.... What's the fuss if R1 won't play them Radio 2 will and it has just as large an audience if not bigger so who gives a crap really :rolleyes:
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move over to radio 2 and accept you're getting old. Radio 1 is for the young and as such we all grow out of it as it changes with each generation (or should)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the industry period is ageist. Take Drake for example. Any chance he gets, he talks about how rap is a young man's game and the older ones need to step aside for the likes of him ad Big Sean. That lead to a row with Ludacris last year. The first attack a lot of GaGa fans have towards Madonna is that she is old. Nicki Minsk is no different. There is a complete lack of respect for the ones who paved the way for this new batch in the industry. That never happened with the ones before. MJ praised Diana Ross, Mariah practically grovelled at Patti Labelle's feet. Bands always strived to be like The Beatles. My generation is full of disrespectful morons, though Robbie Williams is equally as rude for his comment about Jessie J, someone who doesn't slag off anyone, so I don't feel too bad for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    Move over to radio 2 and accept you're getting old. Radio 1 is for the young and as such we all grow out of it as it changes with each generation (or should)

Perhaps the kids should fund it then... have you seen the pay packets for the DJs on that station?
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the kids should fund it then... have you seen the pay packets for the DJs on that station?

Well I don't disagree they are overpaid. But the radio station needs to change with each generation. We all have to come to terms with becoming radio 2 listeners. It was hard for me too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they're just not playing Williams because his 'music' is rubbish? Just a thought...

Because that explains all the other shit they play doesn't it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because that explains all the other shit they play doesn't it...

Haha:D
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    I think the industry period is ageist. Take Drake for example. Any chance he gets, he talks about how rap is a young man's game and the older ones need to step aside for the likes of him ad Big Sean. That lead to a row with Ludacris last year. The first attack a lot of GaGa fans have towards Madonna is that she is old. Nicki Minsk is no different. There is a complete lack of respect for the ones who paved the way for this new batch in the industry. That never happened with the ones before. MJ praised Diana Ross, Mariah practically grovelled at Patti Labelle's feet. Bands always strived to be like The Beatles. My generation is full of disrespectful morons, though Robbie Williams is equally as rude for his comment about Jessie J, someone who doesn't slag off anyone, so I don't feel too bad for him.

It's been like this for a while. For example, back in 1999 Eminem had to pretend he was a few years younger than he actually was when promoting his first mainstream album.

But I don't think Radio 1 are ageist at all. Especially not with hip hop artists. They playlisted artists like Jay-Z, Kanye West, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Nas, and others recently, they're all older than Robbie I think.

Most straight 23 year-old males don't want to listen to Kylie for example, and would change stations if one of her songs came up, and that's a large part of Radio 1's target audience (they're already attracting an audience that's like 10 years older than they should be).
  • PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading the whole thread, I think it's not so much an age thing, more what the people compiling the R1 playlist think appeals to 14 year old girls, and that's kind of patronising as they seem to think that 14 year-old girls only listen to 1D and vapid club crap.

As a pop station they shouldn't be conforming to trends to chase demographics, they should be judging on what would make a good song on the radio regardless of who makes it. I was rather annoyed earlier this year when they refused to playlist this year's Eurovision winner despite it perfectly fitting in with most chart music now and it reaching the top 5 that week (as well as being a huge it in mainland Europe), I think the only thing that stopped them was the "Eurovision" tag, if that song was performed by Katy Perry or similar it would've been on the A Playlist in a heartbeat.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think its just an age thing, but in the case of Robbie, I could easily believe that a lot of his sales are from over 25/30s.

But I do wish R1 wasn't so obsessed with hitting that 15-29 demographic. Its not as though they are trying to increase the number of 15-29 yr olds listening. They are trying to increase the proportion of 15-29 yr olds listening. So they could make changes that make all the over 30s stop listening, and some of the 15-29 yr olds. And end up with a much higher proportion of 15-29 yr olds, but a smaller total audience. And into the bargain left a demographic of over 30s who like R1 as it is with no real alternative that appeals.

Its all very well arguing that R1 takes over 30s away from commercial stations, but I'm certainly not about to listen to a commercial station if I couldn't be arsed with R1 anymore.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio One has to find its niche and it's done so rather well. If you want to listen to MOR pop or ageing boybands from the 90s go to Radio 2.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have A-listed the new Girls Aloud song... not sure how they can bend over for Girls Aloud when they have hardly even shifted over 10 million records over 10 years.

It's the Children In Need single.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    Robbie really needn't feel left out !! He is far from the only victim of radio ones misguided playlist decisions.
    And in reflection of the fact that since they stopped playing these 'over the hill' artists, there was a report recently that the station had failed to meet the under 35 demographic they are meant to be attracting.

Is it time that radio one just stuck to being a pop station instead of all these horrendous attempts to look cool.
    That new breakfast show presenter is abysmal !

But then the whole idea of target age demographic for music is nonsensical in the first place and can only have been dreamt up my a Marketing person.

Go and see any band or artist in concert and you will see a very wide age-range of people there. I first saw Iron Maiden in 1980 when I was @ 17. 32 Years later the average age of Iron Maiden fans attending their gigs is 25, does that mean that Radio 1 should be playing Iron maiden as an "average" Maiden fan fits their target demographic? But then for Radio 1 Maiden are 'over the hill' i would have thought.

The whole concept is stupid.