PS3/PS4 Xbox 360/ 720 could be cross compatible for video streaming services.

redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
Forum Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48906837&postcount=7888

This would certainly indicate that Playstation and Xbox video streaming apps are going to be cross compatable with each other.

So the xbox version of Iplayer and PS version of iplayer would be identical.)

This is interesting because it appears to show Microsoft and Sony cooperating with each other on some aspects of console development.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I checked iPlayer already was identical on both consoles....

I doubt the consumer gives two toots about how the video is DRM'd. And using Microsoft's DRM system is hardly co-operating with each other.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Last time I checked iPlayer already was identical on both consoles....

I doubt the consumer gives two toots about how the video is DRM'd. And using Microsoft's DRM system is hardly co-operating with each other.

This will not be the same as merely an identical DRM strategy, both MS and Sony's apps will be basically the same app. which will have a huge effect on the consumer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    This will not be the same as merely an identical DRM strategy, both MS and Sony's apps will be basically the same app. which will have a huge effect on the consumer.
    Care to explain to me how you leaped to this conclusion? The only mention of Microsoft in the post you linked to is about their DRM.

Other than mentioning that they'll be using the same DRM there is no mention of co-operation.

And again - they are already identical, so I'm not sure how you think consumers are going to further benefit.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't that upto the third parties creating the software, and not the console makers?
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Care to explain to me how you leaped to this conclusion? The only mention of Microsoft in the post you linked to is about their DRM.

Other than mentioning that they'll be using the same DRM there is no mention of co-operation.

And again - they are already identical, so I'm not sure how you think consumers are going to further benefit.

They will also both use both the same HTML 5 standard , As well. This will mean that say the BBC could develop an on demand service for the xbox and the only barrier to getting it on a playstation is certification from Sony. This will hugely expand the amount of services available to both consoles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    They will also both use both the same HTML 5 standard , As well. This will mean that say the BBC could develop an on demand service for the xbox and the only barrier to getting it on a playstation is certification from Sony. This will hugely expand the amount of services available to both consoles.
    iPlayer is already HTML5.

Let me give you a pro-tip. jeff_rigby is well known for making wildcat assumptions based off of very little and is probably worse than Michael Pachter for accuracy.