Betting - What does Lay mean on Betfair

CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone please explain to me what the "Lay" side of Betfair is all about. I understand the "Back" bit but not the "Lay" bit. :confused:

Comments

• Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opposite to back. Lay Nikki if you don't think she is going etc
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opposite to back. Lay Nikki if you don't think she is going etc

Excellent - thank you. :)
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    If you 'lay' a bet you say that an event isn't going to happen; in effect you turn into the bookmaker. If you lay Nikki at 2 and she goes you will owe whoever backed her 2x your stake (or 3x or 4x or whatever number you choose to lay her at).

I layed England in the World Cup: £350 at 8.6. Like taking candy from a baby :)
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afcbfan wrote:
    If you 'lay' a bet you say that an event isn't going to happen; in effect you turn into the bookmaker. If you lay Nikki at 2 and she goes you will owe whoever backed her 2x your stake (or 3x or 4x or whatever number you choose to lay her at).

I layed England in the World Cup: £350 at 8.6. Like taking candy from a baby :)

Ah right. Thanks again.

Quite alot of money going on Laying Nikki at the moment.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this be the first week that the bookies get it wrong?

The odds between Aisleyne & Nikki are still very close

Nikki about 4/5 favourite & Aisleyne about 7/4

Could this be the first week when the bookies are pleased that their favourite didn't come first (bookies hate it when a favourite "wins")

The odds are much closer than in any previous eviction this year - should make for compulsive viewing tomorrow :)

I think there won't be many yawns on this board tomorrow, just posts of "fix" from the fans of whoever goes :D
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    Cornchips wrote:

Quite alot of money going on Laying Nikki at the moment.

A lot of that is people wanting to back her to go, but not as many people willing to lay her to go. You see, the good thing about Betfair is you can choose the odds you want to back (or lay) something at. For example: say I wanted to back Nikki, but I wanted odds of 2, then my money would show up in the lay column. If you go to this link...

http://www.betfair.com/?rfr=63&mi=5822912

click on Nikki's and Aisleyne's names and see the difference between how much money is available to back the two of them.

I hope i've explained this clearly enough; I sometimes find it a bit confusing myself :) You can play on Betfair for fun to get a better understanding of how it works, although the only thing you can 'bet' on at the moment is Uefa Cup football , if that's your 'bag' :) Here's the link...

http://www.playbetfair.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I appreciate the fact that I am alive and love to climb mountains. :)