Isn't it about time Eastenders did another rape storyline?

rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
Forum Member
✭✭
a actual rape what happens in the square... It;s been a good few years

Comments

• vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Male or Female?
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any..
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Male rape.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a male rape storyline if done properly could be explored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What characters?
    Maybe Jay (would give him a SL and he could handle it) would be the victim, don't know who would be the perpretrator
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any rape would be horrific .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    What characters?
    Maybe Jay (would give him a SL and he could handle it) would be the victim, don't know who would be the perpretrator

A short term character
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And DS's freaky obsession with rape continues... :o

No rapes, thank you very much. But I guess if I had to choose, a male rape storyline might be something different. But I'd prefer no rape plots. Too many characters in recent years have been raped. It's getting silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    A short term character

Yes.
    If EE do it properly, I wouldnt mind this SL.
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    EastEnders needs fresh story ideas, not subjects they have already tackled many times in the past and very cleverly so too.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there's been at least 2 on the Square in the last 2/3 years....how much rape do you want? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    And DS's freaky obsession with rape continues... :o

You've taken this post from my mind! Seriously what is it with this place and their desperation of seeing some character being raped! It was already bizarre the amount of people that were desperate for Derek to rape Tanya or for it to be revealed that he did rape Tanya and their added desperation at seeing some poor bloke getting raped FFS its a delicate thing!
  • R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Only if it is male rape because they've never tackled that on Eastenders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soapnut wrote: »
    EastEnders needs fresh story ideas, not subjects they have already tackled many times in the past and very cleverly so too.

I agree. The show seems to be stuck in the past with the writers constantly trying to recycle classic storylines. The thing that made EE great back in the old days was that it was telling stories in a surprising, fresh way. Nowadays, you can predict pretty much all the storylines due to the writers recycling crap all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. There's enough people on the square with problems related to prior sexual assaults. I don't want another another Whitney or Kat.
    Only if it is male rape because they've never tackled that on Eastenders.

That could be interesting but probably best left for another year or two. I hope if they did a male rape storyline they wouldn't choose a young character. I would pick Max, Alfie or Masood. It is a common view that rape is mainly something that happens to young women so if Eastenders choose an older male it would be compelling and shatter misconceptions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brookside tryed that but they just ended up too go far with stuff and ended up digging it;s own grave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've taken this post from my mind! Seriously what is it with this place and their desperation of seeing some character being raped! It was already bizarre the amount of people that were desperate for Derek to rape Tanya or for it to be revealed that he did rape Tanya and their added desperation at seeing some poor bloke getting raped FFS its a delicate thing!

Lol glad I'm not the only one freaked out by this obsession :D. You're spot on, JR.

Don't forget the people who were saying Derek raped Michael after he gave him a beating at the Arches - all because Derek was panting lmao :D.

Exactly, rape is indeed a delicate, sensitive subject. You have to give it proper care as a writer or you end making a fool yourself and risk making a lot of rape victims very upset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol glad I'm not the only one freaked out by this obsession :D. You're spot on, JR.

Don't forget the people who were saying Derek raped Michael after he gave him a beating at the Arches - all because Derek was panting lmao :D.

Exactly, rape is indeed a delicate, sensitive subject. You have to give it proper care as a writer or you end making a fool yourself and risk making a lot of rape victims very upset.

Ah i remember that and with folk frothing at the mouth for it to be revealed that Derek raped Michael as a child and that's why he was scared of him! Honestly this place scares me at times! :D
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I agree. The show seems to be stuck in the past with the writers constantly trying to recycle classic storylines. The thing that made EE great back in the old days was that it was telling stories in a surprising, fresh way. Nowadays, you can predict pretty much all the storylines due to the writers recycling crap all the time.

You are exactly right. It is stuck in the dark ages in every which way possible, it has never moved with the times. I'm expecting big things next year with an executive producer at the helm who has been with the show nearly twenty years and through all of it's glory days, we shouldn't expect anything less!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the SL would have to be done properly. I think I was one of those who thought Derek did more than beat Michael in that scene :o I'm sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah i remember that and with folk frothing at the mouth for it to be revealed that Derek raped Michael as a child and that's why he was scared of him! Honestly this place scares me at times! :D

Lol haha. Someone even once said Heather raped Darren in the toilet cubicle lmao :D. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are exactly right. It is stuck in the dark ages in every which way possible, it has never moved with the times. I'm expecting big things next year with an executive producer at the helm who has been with the show nearly twenty years and through all of it's glory days, we shouldn't expect anything less!

I hope you're right, soapnut. The future don't look good though. This Joey and Lauren tedium is just a ripoff of Shannis - this is a present example of the show's unwillingness to move forward with new thematic material. The writers seem obsessed exploring the same stories over and over again, but with different characters each time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Obviously the SL would have to be done properly. I think I was one of those who thought Derek did more than beat Michael in that scene :o I'm sorry.

Haha no need to apologise, Priscilla. I can understand why you would have thought that though as you're a Michael fan :D. You were scared Derek did something to your pwecious man lol.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did one just a couple of years ago with Stacey/Archie.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a male rape story would be really powerful but it would need to have a good enough buildup and not make it a random event.