How I Met Your Mother Renewed for a 9th Season

timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yay I'm glad it will not end at series 8 with Ted meeting the mum for the first time as I want to see the relationship develop in the next season

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/12/21/report-how-i-met-your-mother-renewed-as-deals-with-cast-for-a-9th-season-are-closed/162762/

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    are they definately revealing the mother this season?
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I can't remember a sitcom falling off a cliff in such spectacular fashion as HIMYM has. First four seasons were good fun, great characters, well written and fun gags. But it's just become such a chore to watch now, I don't think I've even bothered to watch the last 4 episodes. Barney and Robin do not work as a couple and the writers love ramming them down our throats. I'm not even bothered about Ted meeting the mother any more, which is the entire premise for the show. It doesn't help that Ted is the most unlikeable male lead in a sitcom since JD in Scrubs, he's just a bit of an arsehole really.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news!

It has been brilliant this series so far, a lot better than the 7th series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    I can't remember a sitcom falling off a cliff in such spectacular fashion as HIMYM has. First four seasons were good fun, great characters, well written and fun gags. But it's just become such a chore to watch now, I don't think I've even bothered to watch the last 4 episodes. Barney and Robin do not work as a couple and the writers love ramming them down our throats. I'm not even bothered about Ted meeting the mother any more, which is the entire premise for the show. It doesn't help that Ted is the most unlikeable male lead in a sitcom since JD in Scrubs, he's just a bit of an arsehole really.

It's not as good as it used to be, but it's still better than half the shit on TV (and I don't think Ted is that unlikable, you should watch Girls is you want a really obnoxious main character - and I liked Girls)

Last season of Family Guy was unbelievably shit, it got so unfunny I stopped watching. No idea if it recovered,
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just started watching it recently - so if this is what "poor" is then I'm in for a treat when I go back to the earlier series.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »

I actually think Ted is the most likeable of the five now (but I've always liked him), I started hating Marshall near the end of season 3, Barney and Robin have been ruined by their whole on and off crap, and recreancy ruined Lily but haven't seen Season 8 yet so maybe that has been reversed.

I agree about it falling off a cliff, but I thought season 4 was a bit poor as well, I think it's still capable of good episodes though and last season started well before focussing on Ted/Robin/Barney too much.

I don't think it should have been renewed, although if this means we'll see more of the mother than I could come around to the idea. I see it was Jason Segel who held the decision up, I honestly would have loved it if it carried on without him, he's the main reason it's become a chore to watch (at times) imo.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught a few episodes on E4 and found it to be dire.
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so glad!!

I am really loving this series (US Pace). I think it has been brilliant!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I've only just started watching it recently - so if this is what "poor" is then I'm in for a treat when I go back to the earlier series.

Series 1-3-ish were consistently some of the best US comedy in recent years. In recent years there has been the occasional good episode (such as last week's double header) but in general the writing has become lazy and they've been treading water for the last couple of seasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Unless the mother is revealed this season and we're promised their relationship developing next season, then I'm out. Too many untold stories and too slow paced lately
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just watched the end of the last season. I stopped after Drunk Train and the ridiculous declaration of Love to Robin (again) thankfully Barney/Robin were pretty much confirmed as End Game at the end of last season so that's one upside.

Ted has always been obnoxious, from the very start. I don't even care who the mother is, so long as we get Barney and Robin married I don't care if it ends right there with him meeting the mother and saying "Hi" then screen blacks out.

I agree with comment that it's become a chore to watch, it feels like hard work concentrating on his crappy stories for a whole 22 minutes.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I don't get the Ted hate, he's a bit of twit but he's not malicious or self centred , at least I don't see it if he is.
    I don't understand why his kids would sit listening to 7 years worth of stories about him and Robin and other women though!

They need to wind up now or just have very basic storyline. Lilly and Marshal suck as a couple, booooooring they live in an apartment they live in a house they live in an apartment again, who cares.
    Barney and Robin... Meh just get on with it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I'm so happy it's got the 9th season! I'm US pace, and I absolutely loved the first half of season 8.

I don't get the Ted hate. He's a bit of an idiot sometimes, but I think he's lovely. I also don't get the Robin/Barney hate. They were by far the best couple on the show, Lily and Marshall are boring though. I'm really starting to dislike Marshall more and more..
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Good heavens HIMYM is on life support and only hardened fans will view it with rose-tinted glasses.

Besides which the two kids who get lectured about their mum are going to have to be born soon.
  • J0nn13J0nn13 Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    any news regarding when we'll see Season 8 on E4?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurrah - finally the "how" of how I Met Your Mother has been revealed. All we need now is the "who".

Apart from the final breakthrough it was a fairly dull episode this week. The only good part was Ted and Lily's talk on the roof. That was some of the best acting I've seen from AH in a long time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Hurrah - finally the "how" of how I Met Your Mother has been revealed. All we need now is the "who".

Apart from the final breakthrough it was a fairly dull episode this week. The only good part was Ted and Lily's talk on the roof. That was some of the best acting I've seen from AH in a long time.

this. i think we still few months away from the reveal very excited. loved the scene on the roof
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a weird episode for me... I couldn't get over how obvious Cobie was ill and sounded 'rough' throughout the episode. :o

I liked her dads appearance though. Also Lily and the baby. :( I have a feeling that same scene will pretty much be the end of the season for us though. Maybe with half a body this time. We're slowly seeing her...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How I Met Your Mother Season 8 will finally begin on Thursday 31st January @ 8.30pm on E4