Just how bad is world war z movie

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Paid for it from sky on demand tonight. Just over one hour through its so boring:yawn:

The dialogue is poor the scenes move too quickly and it seems a difficult film to care about the film or the characters.

It was George square in Glasgow that passed as Philadelphia which wasn't so good for anyone that knows the area.

Good news under an hour to go:D

Comments

• NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    The final 30 minutes are atrocious. Terrible end to what should have been a very good film.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    No masterpiece, but I enjoyed it as hectic, pillar-to-post, forward motion entertainment, which was obviously its aim.

But then I wasn't posting on a forum at the same time.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought that it was based on The Last of Us video game.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Its a generic zombie movie. Nothing special.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and an interesting play on zombies being a carrier for the zombie strain so not interested in diseased etc

SFX were great, especially in comparison to other apocalyptic fIlms.

£4.49 was reasonable but would have been dissatisfied had I paid £10+ at cinema...but that said; I've paid for a lot worse at the flicks!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's silly, enjoyable fun but if you've read the book, not so much.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it at the cinema but it's not a film I've got any desire to see again, even free.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It's not atrocious but I wouldn't watch it again.

The makers seem to have missed the point of zombie flicks entirely. What makes them interesting is how the survivors cope with the situation and this is what the book concentrates on. In the film, Brad indulges in a global travelogue punctuated by escaping from zombies in a series of increasingly improbable ways.

There are some unintentionally hilarious moments. When the researchers reveal to Brad that B-wing is now infested with zombies, surely the next line of dialogue should have been 'Or as we now call it, zombie-wing'.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have already said, its a generic zombie film but the pacing is really poor.

Worth seeing once,but never again.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyable enough film but not one I would rush to watch again. As others have said the pacing doesn't help.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of those slow burning films where the pace is really slow.. even the zombies.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    It's one of those slow burning films where the pace is really slow.. even the zombies.

Errr...no...the zombies are NOT slow Did you actually watch the movie?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I liked the build the film had, and actually had alot of fun with it. Suprised so many didn't like it, but hey, to each their own. I like it, and will rewatch it. Bought the BD too.

Also, I like the book, though it differs alot.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I found it a very odd film - its like they ran out of budget for the last 40 minutes and had to film it in Cardiff.

The Israel sections are quite dramatic - but it just seemed pointless like they were aiming for a sequel.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not bad, just distinctly average.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I felt bad for buying some Pepsi today. Product placement doesn't usually work on me :o
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could have been one of the great horror movies but they messed it up. the Israel scenes were so far above the quality of the rest of the film.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Just how bad is World War Z? "

Not as bad as some might you lead you to believe. Flawed and problematic. Probably a better directors cut somewhere. But has some exceptional scenes (Jerusalem, the plane) and engaging lead. Seen a lot, lot worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    By chance I also watched it on Sky Box office last night...really can't add anything that has't already been said....an ok film..kept me interested throughout and left me wanting more...although I did think it lost it's way at times..can't see me ever taking another 2hrs out of my life to watch it again though...although I would watch a sequel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    "Just how bad is World War Z? "

Not as bad as some might you lead you to believe. Flawed and problematic. Probably a better directors cut somewhere. But has some exceptional scenes (Jerusalem, the plane) and engaging lead. Seen a lot, lot worse.

Deffo.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DIdn't feel "generic" to me. In fact, barely felt like a zombie movie at all.

Most Zombie movies stick you in a group of characters and we learn a bit about them before they're picked off one by one.

This was just Brad Pitt travelling the world and being involved in various action scenes with a strong military presence dissolving any real threat that this could ever end the human race. I can't recall a single person dying who the audience was made to care about. Felt more like Independence Day.

I didn't hate it, but there wasn't much to it.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like many have said it is not a terrible movie, not as bad as it's reputation would suggest.

I don't know the source novel and I always find it's best to ignore the source anyway, because all movies are changed in some way from whatever source they are originally from.

I would say it's two thirds of a decent movie. The opening sequence is quite powerful and the way the zombies are introduced is very well done, the transformation sequences have quite an impact.

But the 'travelogue' aspect of the movie dissipates a lot of the tension. However, the Israel sequence and the attack on the plane are very well done.

There was supposed to be a climax shot in Moscow with Brad Pitt battling zombies, but the director chose to end the movie differently. And it's not that the sequence in the WHO lab is bad, it's a fairly tense sequence, but it feels wrong for the climax of the movie.

Incidentally, the Moscow sequence was never actually filmed so it is not going to turn up as a deleted scene on a DVD or anything. However, I believe a sequel is going ahead so maybe it will be filmed for the second movie.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words; "Plane crash".

I'm all for suspension of disbelief but really? Those 2 happen to be the only survivors of the plane crash? I got that far and thought "what a crock of sh..."

Funny moment when Bradley's locked in the virus room with the 'chomping zombie' outside. Very memorable.

The Walking Dead it is not.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it to be honest and i'm not a brad pitt fan..thought it was quite good
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »

The Jerusalem scene was not slow.