EE apologises for recent network disruption

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    one of the ads on that page sent my av bananas

Written by: Michael Garwood

Posted on: 18 June 2013. Tags: coverage, EE, Facebook, issues, London, network, Orange, problems, T-Mobile, Twitter

Upgrade work on 2G and 3G networks to blame for “isolated disruption” in London

EE has today (June 18) apologised to its customers in London who have experienced problems with network coverage in recent weeks.

Customers connected to Orange and T-Mobile contracts in the capital have experienced issues with their signal, resulting in dropped calls and in some instances no service at all.

A number of customers have taken to social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook to vent their frustrations at EE over the past couple of weeks, with problems still being reported today.

EE-tweets-web

EE confirmed the issues are a result maintenance being carried out on its 2G and 3G networks, resulting in isolated issues for some customers. The operator however gave no indication as to when all issues will be resolved.

A spokesperson for EE said: “In recent weeks, we’ve been carrying out upgrade work on our network in London and across the UK, installing new 2G and 3G equipment, integrating the Orange and T-Mobile networks into the single EE network, and preparing for the launch of double-speed 4G.

“Some of this work may have caused isolated disruption to services. We’re sorry for short term inconvenience caused.”
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if that explains my experience on T-Mobile today. It's not often I make a train journey in the UK but I travelled from a suburban station to Glasgow Central on a line that is close to the M8 motorway and usually find on Vodafone the signal is rock solid with data throughout the journey. Today on T-Mobile I was struggling to hold onto a signal with three no signal notifications, emergency only calls and some edge and 2G coverage along the 24 minute journey.

I think this could be upgrades as I regularly drive along the M8 which is parallel to the train line and rarely have had any signal issues outwith one dead spot close to the Whitecart Viaduct near Paisley which is so small that the buffering takes care of it when listening to Internet radio in my car.

Hopefully the engineering work will be completed soon.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Wave i was finding the same issue on the train between Edinburgh & Glasgow. There is usually only one dead zone (where all networks are absent) but it was struggling to keep 3G and even the 2G was sketchy. It was like cell handover was taking far too long and by the time it had signal the antenna or even whole site had gone out of range!
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been having major problems with the Orange EE signal recently and I'm mostly on Edge signal and it goes robotic. It's really frustrating.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Short term pain for long term gain....
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Plymouth can you help please...
    My friends orange sim in iPhone shows tmobile orange still. Tried start to 2121 but it says "we didn't understand your message"

Thanks
    Forum Member
    2121 only works on TM.

You need to call 150 and ask for a sim update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay thank you. 150 for orange?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    Okay thank you. 150 for orange?

150 for pay monthly or 450 for pay as you go
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    150 for pay monthly or 450 for pay as you go

Thank you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    Thank you

You're welcome :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member

But still expected to pay full price, for a sub-par service?

Not good enough really is it.

I've had issues for over a month now. On many occasions, I've given up on a call after the amount of times it drops, or due to the terrible quality.

I really hope it will all be worth it... I still have some faith it will be - at least they seem to be doing something on the network, even if they are making a mess of things in the process. :p

It would be good to understand if they anticipated the extent of the disruption during planning, or if it isn't going to plan during the process. Lack of info isn't good.
    Forum Member
    PollyPerm wrote: »

Unless you still want a 2G only service with no modernisation then you have to accept maintenance happens.
    Forum Member

I've had issues for over a month now. On many occasions, I've given up on a call after the amount of times it drops, or due to the terrible quality.

I really hope it will all be worth it... I still have some faith it will be - at least they seem to be doing something on the network, even if they are making a mess of things in the process. :p

It would be good to understand if they anticipated the extent of the disruption during planning, or if it isn't going to plan during the process. Lack of info isn't good.

It could be worse, you could be on Vodafone paying more and have an unreliable network in London nearly every day (see watchdog)

Things should be 'largely' done by the end of the month and i would hardly say they are making a mess of it. I was down there all of last week and not once did i notice any large scale outages.
    Forum Member
    Oh I appreciate it could be worse, but were just talking about EE here.

I accept that some disruption is inevitable, but this must be kept to a minimum. I have had to abandon calls because of their bad quality, have had calls dropped or just not connect at all, every day for over a month, in various locations - although obviously mostly around my home in east London and Camden, where I work.

I was just throwing my tuppence worth into the mix. As I say, despite the issues, I still have faith and hope it will work out soon, but the extent of the issues the work has created are a mess. The fact that they've acknowledged the issues to the press tells me something is not quite right.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you still want a 2G only service with no modernisation then you have to accept maintenance happens.

Considering that a majority 2G service is exactly what EE provide in my area now, to the point where O2 now provide more 3G, frankly I agree with Polly.

I agree. 'Network optimisation' occurred here at the end of February, and the network's been a mess ever since, with Orange freely admitting call drops had rocketed since the optimisation had occurred due to additional traffic being shunted onto the 2G network.

Like you I agree that the lack of info isn't good - it's certainly a reason I jumped ship (the other being customer service's you'll just have to put up with it' attitude, a bit rich considering Three aren't having all these problems with 3G but there we are). I don't know, I appreciate it could be worse, so I'd have probably stuck it out if CS had been as good as the EE guys on here have been - they weren't though, so I didn't.
    Forum Member
    lost boy wrote: »
    a bit rich considering Three aren't having all these problems with 3G but there we are). I don't know, I appreciate it could be worse, so I'd have probably stuck it out if CS had been as good as the EE guys on here have been - they weren't though, so I didn't.

Three are not having to integrate two separate systems, upgrade 2G sites and roll out a 4G network..

Many of the shared EE & Three 3G (ie MBNL) sites have already been done especially in the largest cities. It's the upgrading and integrating Orange sites that are causing headaches which currently Three customers will not be on..

I agree they could just text areas where work is going on to explain or similar..
    Forum Member
    I agree... simple communication would make people a lot happier.

If it's a planned outage, what will be affected, when, for how long, what's the outage for - and then ensure you stick to your commitment of having it back up, or if unforeseen issues crop up, communicate again.

I manage and develop corporate systems. If I took a system down in work, or carried out "maintenance" which affected end users and didn't communicate properly, I could expect some trouble.
    Forum Member
    Continuing to have issues. I contacted Orange and someone from tech support called, went through the usual checks. They got someone from 2nd line to contact me. He's sending me a signal box! To be honest I dont want one. I explained to him it's not just when I'm at home that I'm experiencing problems and really my call was to find out when the work in my area would be finished and I can expect a decent signal - and maybe to get something for the month of inconvenience I've had... but he just didnt seem to listen. I actually said to him "I dont really want a signal box".

Frustrated!...
    Forum Member
    Seeing the major upgrades were scheduled to last until the end of June within the M25 area then... i suggest waiting until then.