Sky Router Problems

theartisttheartist Posts: 74
Forum Member
I have recently transferred over to Sky broadband and have a question about the Sky router.

When the Sky supplied router (Sagem) is plugged in and working as soon as i download something (ie iTunes files) the broadband disconnects.

I have connected my own Netgear router and find that i have no drop in connection at all no matter what i am doing.

Before i phone Sky and try to explain my problem, has anyone else experienced this, i am assuming its a fault with the Sky router.....

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Is the router a sagemcom F@ST2304? If so, mine does the same thing, and there's other posts on skyuser commenting the same.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/42116-problems-sagem-router.html

When I signed up with sky, I received a d-link router. While this seemed more stable in general, it doesn;t work with blackberry's (tried 2 x 8520's with different firmwares). With the blackberry it connects to the blackberry internet service for perhaps a minute, then disconnects again making it basically useless.

I called e-mailed sky and eventually received the ST2304 router which I thought was great, however my joy was short-lived. When it works, it works really well and the blackberry's stay connected, but it completly locks up and hangs multiple times per day. The only way to recover is to power off and back on again. It's not a wireless thing either, because if I'm hard wired to the router everything stops too (and Anytime+ can't connect).

I've persisted and changed just about every setting on the router to see if it's some feature, howevr I can't find a suitable combination to either make it hand less or not at all.

I've gone back to the d-link router, as the ear-ache I'm getting from the kids and my wife is not worth the convenience of having my blackberry use wi-fi, although one of the kids has a blackberry, so I might be buggered either way).

If a firmware upgrade appears fot the ST2304, I'll try it again, but until then I'mgoing to stick with the d-link I think.

Adrian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Hi theartist,
    It could be that there is a problem with your broadband router if when you use your Netgear router and find that i have no drop in connection. My advise is to try some of the toubleshooting steps,http://bit.ly/e7HiGb . If you are still finding the same issue contact us direct as we can rule out other issues that could be causing this http://bit.ly/ccizvY

Sky eService Team
  • theartisttheartist Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Hi theartist,
    It could be that there is a problem with your broadband router if when you use your Netgear router and find that i have no drop in connection. My advise is to try some of the toubleshooting steps,http://bit.ly/e7HiGb . If you are still finding the same issue contact us direct as we can rule out other issues that could be causing this http://bit.ly/ccizvY

Sky eService Team

Hi Sky eService Team

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I have gone through the trouble shooting with a sky rep, I lost faith when being asked to turn the router off and on again, this obviously solved the issue as rebooting the sky router always reconnects the Internet, not for long though........

Is this a known fault, lots of people seem to be complaining across other forums.

If I call sky again will they give me a replacement, I don't need to trouble shoot, I know what I am doing and can see a faulty piece of kit when it's in front of me....

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I'm at a loss with mine now too. The endless reboots of the sagem router have halved my download from 10Mb/sec to 5Mb/sec and started DLM all over again :(

I'm going to let DLM finish, and see what happens then. If only Sky where able to provide me with a decent, stable router, I'd be happy. The BT Homehub 2's are 10 times better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im having exactly the same problem. Last week I moved from my wonderful stable 18meg 02 broadband to Sky, although my router synced at 16.5 meg from about the fourth day it is now at below 10. Im assuming this is because the router has to be restarted everytime I download a file or try to transfer a file to or from my NAS drive.
    Im gutted, why did I try to save a few pennies and move to Sky when my 02 broadband was so amazing and never once dropped or needed a reboot in almost three years.
    I see from the Sky Help Forums that Sky recognise there is a problem with these routers, but that doesnt really help in the meantime apart from their suggestion of turning the wi-fi off and connecting via cable :mad: which has to be the most stupid advice ever considering most people have multiple wireless devices. Im also concerned that once my training period is over my download will be fixed at a much lower speed than I know my line can handle simply because the router has needed to be restarted so many times :(
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im in the same boat the DLM was a waste of time as i had to continually reboot the router to gain internet access again.
    Ive connected my Netgear router until this new firmware is released.The sagem did work better when i changed the channel from auto to 6 and changed the mode from auto to auto 54g.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Technical-Issues/Sagemcom-F-ST2304-Router-Issues/m-p/76041/message-uid/76041#U76041
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    There is a known issue with the wireless chipset of the sagem f@st router, the sky tech guys are working on a fix and its coming shortly....
  • pgnlpgnl Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    AdrianC wrote: »
    When I signed up with sky, I received a d-link router. While this seemed more stable in general, it doesn;t work with blackberry's (tried 2 x 8520's with different firmwares). With the blackberry it connects to the blackberry internet service for perhaps a minute, then disconnects again making it basically uselessn

I just stumbled upon this post and thought I would add my experience. Whilst not the same equipment it might help someone. In my case I couldn't get my Motorola Defy to connect to my Buffalo (cable) router, I found changing the wireless encryption, from mixed mode to a different mode, (try each in turn), I think it was WPA TKIP that worked in the end, it was the mixed mode the phone didn't like. Of course it may be a different problem, but worth a try.

I've decided to give Sky BB a try, so I very tentatively signed up for it for a twelve months, still keeping my VM cable bb going for the moment, but may cancel it if sky proves reliable. I'm attracted by the unlimited downloads (VM severely restrict speed at certain times) plus the cost is significatly less,

We'll see, I think I may have been spoilt by VM reliability... :)

All these stories about modem/router problems aren't encouraging...

Patrick