Installing sky plus myself

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
hi,
bought a sky plus box today on ebay and was wondering how i would go about installing it. I have normal sky at the moment but only one line from my minidish. How would I go about getting a second or would there be a fitting available to split the original.
Thanks Damian

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't split the existing feed, you'll have to run a complete new second feed from the dish to the box. Also you'll of course have to change the LNB on the dish for one that has at least 2 outputs (unless of course it already has).

Finally, I assume you are aware that unless you're on one of Sky's "premium packages" that it'll cost you £10 a month to have the Sky+ features enabled on your box?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Yeah paying 40 odd pound a month at the minute so i'll not be paying the extra £10 thank god. looks like i'll be calling out someone to do it for me, i'll not be able to do that!! Thanks
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

You could also go multiroom and have the std box installed in the or a second room an extra £10 per month for a mirror subscription .

But this will allow you to watch the footy whilst the wife watches Ready steady cook :)
    Forum Member
    Its my da paying the bill and thinking i'm pushing it already with the price.lol How much would a quad LNB cost as I see they're on ebay for £5-£10. I've a mini dish and not sure if that means I'll need a RAVEN, THOMSON or SKYWARE on or if it makes a difference. Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first two look like the same thing.. the third one has no pictures so I'd personally avoid that.

If you'd rather not risk ebay then you can buy them new from satcure: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1.htm

Checkout the 'ultimate lnb' halfway down the page. :D:D
  • impratorimprator Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Satcure are a good company, but tend to be expensive on many products in my opinion.

Try DAS at http://www.dastv.co.uk/ProductSearch.aspx?Category=171. They do quad LNG's for Sky dishes at £27. (NOTE - Prices on the website do not include VAT.)

They also sell Pace PVR3's for £100 (or £110 if you also want an LNB). Seems a good price to me - but I don't really know what might be available elsewhere.
  • mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get Sky to install it,they will fit a new LNB,possibly a new dish,and you'll even get a guarantee even though the box is not from Sky.
    All for £60.
    Multiroom may even mean a free install.
    Don't waste time with an independent on this occasion.
    If the box goes wrong neither the installer nor Sky will help for free and you'd be lucky to get an all in price under £60 anyway
    Forum Member
    I bought an Amstrad DRX180 and a skyware quad lnb for a total of £75. Sorta regretting the Amstrad cus of the slagging off it seems to be getting on here!! Getting a family freind to put it in, he's a local engineer. It'll prob all end in disaster but I've been wanting sky + that much I hope it all works out!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had an Amstrad Sky+ box for 18 months which I installed myself - absolutely fine, and I've never even heard the clicking or the fan coming on which is reported on here a lot.

I know they have their problems, but I think a few posts are just people repeating what others have said - making it seem like more people have problems with them.