BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Nice try 5live, putting a webcam in Derbyshire's alternative (i.e. usual) studio. You're not fooling anyone - we all know what the Salford studio looks like (plus the fact that Derbyshire left the ITV London studios not much more than an hour ago).

Obviously no childcare issues with her doing breakfast telly?
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inverdale is an excellent broadcaster and I agree about him making major sport events interesting and approachable. When he covers the golf and horses on 5 live it is always a good listen despite me not being a follower of these sports.

I agree the What's in Your Bag was just a short light hearted feature giving a break from the commentary, much like the Call my Bluff he does with horse names, harmless features making it more listenable for the non sport obsessive.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice try 5live, putting a webcam in Derbyshire's alternative (i.e. usual) studio. You're not fooling anyone - we all know what the Salford studio looks like (plus the fact that Derbyshire left the ITV London studios not much more than an hour ago).

What was she doing on breakfast TV ? I reckon she's trying to carve out an alternative career for herself in London, so she can give up Radio 5.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 hours on police being attacked, quite an unusual topic I thought for the left wing agenda of this show. Sure enough, it's been an excuse to mention the failings of police going back years, oh and cuts, cuts, cuts, cuts ,cuts.

A couple of policemen saying cuts have nothing to do with attacks on them goes ignored.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just three minutes to discuss the national audit reports on the appalling payouts by bbc to itd staff. Instead of victim radio derbydhire should devote tomorrows 120 minutes to entwistles and others handoutx.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never watch breakfast tv but apparently she's been doing this for months now (at least since Feb from what I've read). I suspect that's the real reason she won't move to or broadcast from Salford, not childcare issues as she tried to claim.
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    What was she doing on breakfast TV ? I reckon she's trying to carve out an alternative career for herself in London, so she can give up Radio 5.

Lorraine Kelly has a section in her own slot, (stop sniggering at the back!) on Daybreak, where she has a couple of 'media' guests on to review the news/papers every day at around 8:35/40, so I'm guessing that this is the bit that Queen Vic features on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Viccy D and Kaye Adams ever been seen in the same room ?
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation folks !
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I think John Inverdale is a great broadcaster. I don't watch any sport besides tennis, but he is very knowledgeable and has a really good voice. I enjoy the non-sport programmes when he fills in for other presenters and wish he could have a permanent spot. Wimbledon is so much better this year on 5 Live without Richard Bacon. In fact it would be better without him permanently.

This morning I was about to switch off after Nicky Campbell, when Tony Livesey came on. It was such a relief that it wasn't VD that I left it on. We got a serious discussion on Egypt instead of the usual sob story/people with a grievance stuff. I agree with everyone who thinks it is ridiculous that she is allowed to broadcast from London most of the time. I presume it's because of her partner's position that she gets away with it. I don't really care where 5 Live is broadcast from, but having spent millions on the move to Salford, she should have had to go as well.

I miss Tony Livesey in the 10 p.m. slot. I thought some of it was too silly, but although I like Phil Williams at other times of the day, I really didn't want to listen to a gardening slot late last night. I don't know if it was a popular slot or not with others.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I think John Inverdale is a great broadcaster. I don't watch any sport besides tennis, but he is very knowledgeable and has a really good voice. I enjoy the non-sport programmes when he fills in for other presenters and wish he could have a permanent spot. Wimbledon is so much better this year on 5 Live without Richard Bacon. In fact it would be better without him permanently.

This morning I was about to switch off after Nicky Campbell, when Tony Livesey came on. It was such a relief that it wasn't VD that I left it on. We got a serious discussion on Egypt instead of the usual sob story/people with a grievance stuff. I agree with everyone who thinks it is ridiculous that she is allowed to broadcast from London most of the time. I presume it's because of her partner's position that she gets away with it. I don't really care where 5 Live is broadcast from, but having spent millions on the move to Salford, she should have had to go as well.

I miss Tony Livesey in the 10 p.m. slot. I thought some of it was too silly, but although I like Phil Williams at other times of the day, I really didn't want to listen to a gardening slot late last night. I don't know if it was a popular slot or not with others.

Yes that Egypt spot by Livesly was a thoroughly good listen. Hope the Queen's fans were listening and noticed what can be done.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wasn't Victoria on ?

Didn't realise it was an inset day
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    James1953 wrote: »
    Why wasn't Victoria on ?

Didn't realise it was an inset day

No idea. Tony L just said he was there today and tomorrow. In my experience, when I used to listen to her, she never did a full week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »

This morning I was about to switch off after Nicky Campbell, when Tony Livesey came on. It was such a relief that it wasn't VD that I left it on. We got a serious discussion on Egypt instead of the usual sob story/people with a grievance stuff.

100% agreed. Such a refreshing change from the agenda driven nonsense that pervades the 10am daily slot.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    100% agreed. Such a refreshing change from the agenda driven nonsense that pervades the 10am daily slot.

Also agreed. I only switched from 6 Music as Edith was in for Lauren and I'm not a huge fan. I thought Livesey did a great job. Far more listenable than usual.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Yes that Egypt spot by Livesly was a thoroughly good listen. Hope the Queen's fans were listening and noticed what can be done.

Totally agree, something needs to be done about her highness. Like sacking her.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Livesey is sadly missed on the late evening slot. And judging by the comments about the Egypt slot, he can flip between serious and light hearted easily.
    Next week he'll be covering for Nicky Campbell on breakfast.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Without his trivial text-ins (when have you urinated next to somebody famous etc.) Livesey is a good broadcaster, such a welcome change from the grim reaper VD with her slash your wrists victim radio
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Without his trivial text-ins (when have you urinated next to somebody famous etc.) Livesey is a good broadcaster, such a welcome change from the grim reaper VD with her slash your wrists victim radio

The impression I got when listening from Livesey on late nights was that Richard Bacon had done such a good job defining what that slot was meant to be about that he never really put his own stamp on it. He seemed to carried on the same quirky mix between daftness and seriousness, but it felt like he was just carrying on Bacon's act but not doing it quite so well. It wasn't bad, just not must-listen radio. But I didn't hear enough of it, so I'm happy to defer to anyone who thinks I've got that wrong. I'm happy to hear people feel he's doing well on daytimes, he did strike me as a perfectly good presenter.

On Derbyshire, I'm afraid real-life stories are not restricted to her. I've just switched off This Morning as they were about to head into a large discussion about abusive mothers - they have something like this every day - and women's magazines have that fascinating mix of a smiling model along with horrific headlines on a daily basis. There is a demand for this sort of thing, because real-life experiences can be fascinating, and sometimes they can be genuinely important. I would argue the much complained about story of the woman who gave birth to an undercover police officer's child was an important and a big story, and I see no problem with it being covered.

The thing is, every element of 5 Live does something different. Breakfast and Drive give a general view of the news, Richard Bacon has an entertainment-biased afternoon show which still tackles important stories, I haven't heard 12-2pm since Shelagh took over but that always struck me as having a bias towards sport. If Victoria is doing real-life stories as part of that mix, and it doesn't take up the whole show, then I don't see a massive problem with that. I wouldn't choose to listen to it, mind.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's good ...amusing intelligent and a grafter to boot

VD's rather succumbed to the good life that London offers to well salaried people- even those paid for by us
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    If Victoria is doing real-life stories as part of that mix, and it doesn't take up the whole show, then I don't see a massive problem with that. I wouldn't choose to listen to it, mind.

The problem is that her show has become virtually all about rape, child abuse, cancer, domestic abuse, depression, suicide..…and other ‘real life’ stories. Yes these topics should be addressed on 5 live but the morning programme needs some variety, as I have said before it is like she is on autopilot just turning up at her London studio churning out the same depressing show, day after day.

Clearly she will be more detached from the editorial decisions being 300 miles away and is probably just presenting what is given to her, but she has been doing this for too many years and the daytime line up needs freshening up.
  • simonosimono Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel took over the phone in from Nicky (I am on the tv a lot) Campbell this morning to discuss the omission of BOD from the Lions tour.
    It appeared they dumped Ian Robertson from the discussion during the travel he was going on rather a lot but a strange way to treat a respected commentator.
  • ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I avoid Wimbledon as much as is possible as the BBC hype it way out of proportion to it's Sporting significance, Tennis will after all never be more than a minority sport.

Unfortunately out of my control I just copped 15 minutes of the 5 Live commentary. I find it hard to put into words how bad it was. Two foreign experts attempting to be funny and the BBC posh boy Tennis reporter dutifully laughing away.

How much TV tax is wasted putting on this crap every year.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »
    I avoid Wimbledon as much as is possible as the BBC hype it way out of proportion to it's Sporting significance, Tennis will after all never be more than a minority sport.

Unfortunately out of my control I just copped 15 minutes of the 5 Live commentary. I find it hard to put into words how bad it was. Two foreign experts attempting to be funny and the BBC posh boy Tennis reporter dutifully laughing away.

How much TV tax is wasted putting on this crap every year.

Indeed

Just hand it over to SKY . That will fit in nicely with the BBCs longterm strategy of broadcasting pure crap instead of the current - mainly crap
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,277
    Forum Member
    Its probably a nice free jolly outing for some of the presenters - bit like most sporting events!
This discussion has been closed.