BT broadband "extras"

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want the extras it's a good job there are laods of competitors you can use instead that will just offer you the bb.

The problem is, there is not, ISps like Bt, Talk Talk and even sky have done their best to buy out the ISps or put them out of business.
    But fact is there are many people that do use the extras and are happy to pay a tiny bit extra to get them included in their bb plan that they would otherwise have to fork out shed loads of money to buy seperately

Do they really use them? How many people are using BT cloud, or using free BT-wifi? BT Wi-fi is a waste of tiem around here, may be different in larger cities, but very few BT-wi-fi around here in our city centre.

Most of the services you don't have to buy, they are free.
    . Cloud and wifi hotspots cost a fortune with a seperate sub.

Wi-fi maybe, but there are so many different companies offering Wi-fi, you may not be able to get the one that is offered free in certain places.

No good me having BT -Wi-fi which I can as Vodafone offers it me if i am stuck in say Wetherspoons as they use the cloud.
    If you don't use them, then choose another supplier, that's your choice. No point moaning about it. You're moaning about them when you're not even with them. I think you're a serial complainer moaning for the sake of it.

Thankfully I got more of a choice and have gone with a local ISp, but even before I went with a smaller Isp that offered just broadband.
    I starting to detest these larger Isps because they are taking the choice away from the punters. reminds me of supermarkets.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noise, you work for Sainsbury's so I'm sure your aware of the 'One Stop Shop' concept, walk in and get all you need in one place. ISP bundles are just that, a 'One Stop Shop' for their phone and broadband needs.

If people don't want cloud etc they don't need to use them but I would guess that millions in the UK use some sort of cloud storage daily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Noise, you work for Sainsbury's so I'm sure your aware of the 'One Stop Shop' concept, walk in and get all you need in one place. ISP bundles are just that, a 'One Stop Shop' for their phone and broadband needs.

While I can see what you are saying, I just think sometimes companies get too big and offer too much and it kills off smaller companies.

You only have to look at our city centre to see the mess these big companies have caused.
    If people don't want cloud etc they don't need to use them but I would guess that millions in the UK use some sort of cloud storage daily.

Maybe, maybe not, I use Dropbox to store some spreadsheets on which I use for my houshold spending, but they are all passworded. I also got my bookmarks on Xmarks, but i don't have loads much else stored on the cloud.

i wonder how many people do use the cloud? That is a stupid name in itself, who ever called it the cloud?
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I starting to detest these larger Isps because they are taking the choice away from the punters. reminds me of supermarkets.

You work for a supermarket? Hypocrite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    You work for a supermarket? Hypocrite.

it is a job, simple as that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is a job, simple as that

I understand that. But your still a hypocrite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that. But your still a hypocrite.

I also still buy a lot of my stuff from local shops when I can. today, I went to the local butchers, a local bakery and i even went to a local market stall to get some spuds.

So I do support local or smaller companies when I can and try to avoid the big companies, that is not to say I avoid all large companies, I still buy coffee from Neros, I still have my energy from British Gas, ok Sainsburys, but it is still from BG.

We need to work and jobs are few and far between and I enjoy my job most of the time, meeting customers, not that i do that much these days as I work at the back. Very few local small places left to work at, so what would you want me to do live on the dole?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also still buy a lot of my stuff from local shops when I can. today, I went to the local butchers, a local bakery and i even went to a local market stall to get some spuds.

So I do support local or smaller companies when I can and try to avoid the big companies, that is not to say I avoid all large companies, I still buy coffee from Neros, I still have my energy from British Gas, ok Sainsburys, but it is still from BG.

We need to work and jobs are few and far between and I enjoy my job most of the time, meeting customers, not that i do that much these days as I work at the back. Very few local small places left to work at, so what would you want me to do live on the dole?

This thread isn't talking about the above. It's asking specific questions about an ISP and the services it offers.

And you are a troll.

Bye.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what would you want me to do live on the dole?

Nobody is saying that.

They are asking you to see the hypocrisy in your posts where you are complaining about bigger ISPs buying out smaller ISPs or making their business models unviable when you work for a company that will have forced hundreds of businesses to close down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    Nobody is saying that.

They are asking you to see the hypocrisy in your posts where you are complaining about bigger ISPs buying out smaller ISPs or making their business models unviable when you work for a company that will have forced hundreds of businesses to close down.

Maybe there is a bit of hypocrisy in my posts in that way and yes I agree with you about supermarkets taking away the local shops, nothing we can do about that now, certainly not around here as there is very few places now to shop. But we have still got smaller Isps, we just need to support.

Just because I work for a large company, don't mean I still support the smaller ones.

But yes I see what you are getting at., but sadly we all need to live and I think the place i work is one of the better supermarkets around and they do try to put something in the local community, well they do around here.
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think most people are thick and can't sort out their services? There are some people who know doubt do need help, but a lot of them don't and can find their own products.

I didn't say they were thick, that's your word, but there is well over 20 million broadband customers and a significant number are not tech savvy and that's a fact. And why should they have to be, just to use the product and have access to other services ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe there is a bit of hypocrisy in my posts in that way and yes I agree with you about supermarkets taking away the local shops, nothing we can do about that now, certainly not around here as there is very few places now to shop. But we have still got smaller Isps, we just need to support.

Just because I work for a large company, don't mean I still support the smaller ones.

But yes I see what you are getting at., but sadly we all need to live and I think the place i work is one of the better supermarkets around and they do try to put something in the local community, well they do around here.

Examples please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Examples please.

I presume Active Kids would be one example.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member

So do some ISP's like Virgin and BT who give millions to charities; probably most notably red nose day who BT has supported for years and years. BT also supports sports charities etc; I don't see your point sorry. It's ok for supermarkets but not ISP's?:confused:

http://sustainability.virginmedia.com/Comments.aspx?NewsAreaId=115&ReleaseID=8955

http://www.btplc.com/mydonate/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do some ISP's like Virgin and BT who give millions to charities; probably most notably red nose day who BT has supported for years and years. BT also supports sports charities etc; I don't see your point sorry. It's ok for supermarkets but not ISP's?:confused:

http://sustainability.virginmedia.com/Comments.aspx?NewsAreaId=115&ReleaseID=8955

http://www.btplc.com/mydonate/

Poor noisey has gotten himself into a bit of a pickle on this one hasn't he?
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    Poor noisey has gotten himself into a bit of a pickle on this one hasn't he?

He's been pickling himself for a while now.:cool::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not in a pickle at all. i have never made it a secret that I work for a large supermarket. I still try to support the smaller shops and companies if I can, but as i said, that is a bit difficult here.

I believe that where i work is one of the better supermarkets to work for and offer better quality products than others. Ok you may differ, that is what free speech is about.

But I still prefer a smaller Isp than Bt, sky or Talk Talk, but again I have said many times on here that if it comes to the shove i would go for a larger Isp, I would just prefer not to.

Anyway this was about extras and my view still stands that we pay for extras one way or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You pay for the packages on offer, simple as that, don't like the offer either don't sign up for it or move on to another ISP. I like LLU, one supplier, faultless to date and just one fixed bill.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I still prefer a smaller Isp than Bt, sky or Talk Talk, but again I have said many times on here that if it comes to the shove i would go for a larger Isp, I would just prefer not to.

Anyway this was about extras and my view still stands that we pay for extras one way or another.
    Ultimately you choose when you order. Want a basic no frills supplier - there are several options available (admittedly some of them are now owned by the big providers). Similarly if you want a package which offers calls and/or telly plus other extras like hotspot access etc. there are several choices there too.

I guess most people hunt around whenever their contract is up for renewal and see if their requirements have changed and what the best options are for their particular needs at the time. Same goes for most things like mobile phones, energy or insurance etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pay for the packages on offer, simple as that, don't like the offer either don't sign up for it or move on to another ISP. I like LLU, one supplier, faultless to date and just one fixed bill.
    psionic wrote: »
    Ultimately you choose when you order. Want a basic no frills supplier - there are several options available (admittedly some of them are now owned by the big providers). Similarly if you want a package which offers calls and/or telly plus other extras like hotspot access etc. there are several choices there too.

I guess most people hunt around whenever their contract is up for renewal and see if their requirements have changed and what the best options are for their particular needs at the time. Same goes for most things like mobile phones, energy or insurance etc.

I liked my LLU service when i was on the cable and wireless network, it worked far better than the Bt network no matter what ISp it was on. I would not go full LLU even if I went back to fixed line broadband.

I don't like this if you want our broadband you will use our phone service type of thing which Talk Talk, Sky and BT have now, no doubt there are others. If i use their phone service then I should choose to use it, at least Plusnet even if they are part of Bt will give you that choice.

I know what you mean about mobile phones, you try to get a standard contract with no data these days, even PAYG adds data if you go for something like Vodafone Freedom, they give you 50MB of data, a waste of time if you only got something like a 3310. sure they have not put the price up giving that 50MB, but they have not given the option to pay less for not getting it.

It makes no odds to me as I have a sim only contract and I need data, but for some people I know that still have a basic phone it is useless.

i don't get anything extra with my Gas/electric i just get gas and electric, what else do you expect to get with it?

I got another about another 14 months until my broadband contract is up, I can't see me changing to be honest, I paid £100 to have this set up so I can't see myself going elsewhere after 2 years unless the service gets awful. Maybe if BT have moved their backside and stopped moving the dates for FTTc, I may have gone for FTTC, only may have mind you. But I wanted something a bit faster than I had and allpay came to the rescue

People will normally choose the cheapest, it don't matter what the quality is they will just see brand A is cheaper than brand B and go for it. Sure some people will pay that bit extra if they can because they think they will get a better service and in many cases they do.

I think that people should be offered cheaper packages instead of extras they may not want, but I suppose the extras look good and they are cheap to give away.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't get anything extra with my Gas/electric i just get gas and electric, what else do you expect to get with it?
    What I mean is you can keep costs lower if you get your leccy and gas from the same supplier, as opposed to keeping them separate. Savings can be made by changing billing frequency or online meter readings etc. Also there is often savings to be made by switching supplier every couple of years, as new customers tend to get more enticing deals then those who never change and show decades of loyalty.

Anyway apologies for going O/T.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @noise747 - You know that hole you've been digging over the last two days? It just got deeper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    What I mean is you can keep costs lower if you get your leccy and gas from the same supplier, as opposed to keeping them separate.

Ah, maybe. We are all told that but it is not always true. I know someone who have worked out that getting his gas from supplier and getting his electric from another is cheaper than having it from the same one.
    But, there always is a but. it is a lot of hassle and takes a lot of working out and to be honest it is only a few quid a year.
    Savings can be made by changing billing frequency or online meter readings etc. Also there is often savings to be made by switching supplier every couple of years, as new customers tend to get more enticing deals then those who never change and show decades of loyalty.

But it is hassle and you don't save that much normally.

Anyway apologies for going O/T.

Ok, getting back on topic, well kind of. I remember when we all got a bit of web space and a email address and that was it. Now it seems like they want to throw the kitchen sink in with the package as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @noise747 - You know that hole you've been digging over the last two days? It just got deeper.

I thought you was ignoring me? since you last message said bye. so BYE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He won't put the shovel down lol, just keeps getting deeper and deeper :D