Karen Carpenter

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else see the show on her ? No wonder she ended up with an eating disorder . Her parents didn't to like her and she was pushed into something she didn't seem comfortable doing . I love how the family blame the doctors when there was very little they could do at the time

Comments

• molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the show ''The Karen Carpenter Story''? I've always wanted to see that.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a sad story. She had such a nice voice.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I remember watching "The Karen Carpenter Story" when I was a teenager. It was on New Year's Eve.

Poor Karen. I wouldn't say she was fat. She was very beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    Anyone else see the show on her ? No wonder she ended up with an eating disorder . Her parents didn't to like her and she was pushed into something she didn't seem comfortable doing . I love how the family blame the doctors when there was very little they could do at the time

Are you blaming hte parents? Not much was known about the condition back then...

I thought it was the fault of comments in the press about her weight :eek: She wasn't exactly a lard bucket :mad:

Lovely voice... sad victim of media-abuse :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes thats why the family shouldn't blame doctors as there was very little they could do . But sometimes eating disorders have very little to do with weight there a control issue . I don't think her parents attitude helped her or the fact she was pushed to be a lead singer and was pushed on stage . Just because your a great singer and like singing does not mean your mentally able to handle it as a job
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I watched the karen carpenter story just recently..think it was on one of those sky channels movies 24 or something like that and my daughter watched it with me..think the blame was the press saying she was chubby..the press still do that nowadays with girls that would blow away in a slight breeze
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching Only Yesterday The Carpenters Story last night on BBC4. It was the interview that Richard had done telling The Carpenters Story and I get the feeling that he was hiding something.

I don't know why, but it just felt like he was more bothered about being famous that the health of his sister and I could say that goes for their parents as well. He did blame the doctors but as many have said that at that time not much was know about Bulimia, but as it was documented she was happy just playing the drums and singing and not been at the front of stage so that could have had something to do with it as well.

Richard didn't mentioned the press at any time about Karen getting abused by the media expect when she released a few tracks off her solo album which was then dropped by the record company but that was about it because it sounded to disco for her voice.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartbreaking. I got a bit wrapped up in Karen Carpenter's story when I was anorexic over 20 years ago. In fact, watching a biopic/ drama of her life (starring an actress called Cynthia Gibb) was one of the factors that helped me to recover, in its own way. I was devastated that such a beautiful, talented woman could succumb to such an evil condition and it really got to me. She had a gorgeous voice and I think she'd have been happy to be the drummer in the background as the drums were what she loved. Still, she left behind a wonderful legacy in her voice and music which, to some degree, is comforting. Therapy for anorexia was abysmal back in the day as it was such a misunderstood condition...difficult to say where 'blame' or 'responsibility' for her illness and death should be apportioned.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, I saw it a long time ago and remember this really sad song that just about summed it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljWyIKyua8c&feature=fvwrel
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no questioning she was anorexic... but ask the right people around LA and they'll tell you that wasn't what killed her (although of course it didn't help).
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching Only Yesterday The Carpenters Story last night on BBC4. It was the interview that Richard had done telling The Carpenters Story and I get the feeling that he was hiding something.

I don't know why, but it just felt like he was more bothered about being famous that the health of his sister and I could say that goes for their parents as well. He did blame the doctors but as many have said that at that time not much was know about Bulimia, but as it was documented she was happy just playing the drums and singing and not been at the front of stage so that could have had something to do with it as well.

Richard didn't mentioned the press at any time about Karen getting abused by the media expect when she released a few tracks off her solo album which was then dropped by the record company but that was about it because it sounded to disco for her voice.

I was and still am a big fan of The carpenters especially Karen. I think she was the greatest singer of all time for me anyway.
    She was at her happiest just playing the drums and singing.
    I remember back in the seventies she was going out with the drummer of The Osmands. Alan. They were seriouse about each other but because Karen wasn't a mormon there was no chance of the couple being married. Now I don't know if it was a case of Karen wanting to turn to being a mormon and her family disapproving or it was his family because she wasn't brought up a mormon. I can't remember now. But there were no other people involved like Alan having met someone else or Karen doing the same and as far as I know it wasn't down to the pressures of their work and showbiz that they split up.
    Its a shame because if she had of married Alan she would probably still be alive today.
    I have watched the Karen Carpenter story a few times and have read all about her growing up. But something I will pick you up on. I would agree. I have found that too when Richard talks about her that there is something more there than meets the eye. I'm sure at one time he said he was going to reveal something about their parents and Karen's illness. But that never seemed to happen.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    Aw, I saw it a long time ago and remember this really sad song that just about summed it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljWyIKyua8c&feature=fvwrel

This one of hers is my fav

A Song For You
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love The Carpenters music, my mum was a big fan and so I inherited it. I've seen that TV movie before and it is heartbreaking to think it is a depiction of real life. She was only a bit older thanme when she dies, she could have had so much more of a career if she had wanted it. It's a shame the diease took her so early.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad died last year and I had one of her records played at the funeral. He was a real fan.....
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one of hers is my fav

A Song For You

:cry::cry:

goosebumps!!

She was an awesome drummer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHyzGXAJPg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew she dated Alan from the Osmonds wonder why that was never in the film because that was approved by Richard?
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    There's no questioning she was anorexic... but ask the right people around LA and they'll tell you that wasn't what killed her (although of course it didn't help).

Interesting comment, can you let us know what the rumours are?
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »

I would interested in a pm if this can't be talked about in general chat :)
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamryn29 wrote: »
    I would interested in a pm if this can't be talked about in general chat :)

Me too :)
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a unique voice, what a loss.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she was recovering from anorexia when she died, but her heart failed from too much previous abuse. She had the most beautiful voice I have ever heard - I really don't think there has ever been a better singer in the whole world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the programme too and it was so shocking to see her go from a vibrant, healthy looking beauty to a walking skeleton within just those few years. It was also heartbreaking to learn she was forced out from behind the drums, where she was obviously much happier.

I don't think anyone can be blamed for her illness as people were so ignorant towards eating disorders back then and just didn't have even half of the mass of information we now have access to.

I've only recently become a Carpenters fan and I'm in love with their music and Karen's voice. The melodies and vocals were so perfect and I wish music like this was still made, because I'm bored of everyone showing off with vocal gymnastics.
  • bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I watched that program - made me cry. Ending was terrible though!

Probably the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. Would love to hear Cole sing one of her songs .. live! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I watched the program on BBC4 last night...I`v seen it before but I had to re-watch it just to hear her beautiful voice....I`am a rocker at heart but she undoubtedly had one of the most stunning voices of all time....I look forward to the day when someone appears on the scene with a voice to match hers....but I know I`ll be waiting a very long time.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the program on BBC4 last night...I`v seen it before but I had to re-watch it just to hear her beautiful voice....I`am a rocker at heart but she undoubtedly had one of the most stunning voices of all time....I look forward to the day when someone appears on the scene with a voice to match hers....but I know I`ll be waiting a very long time.

Their music and her voice still give me goosebumps, even after 30 odd years. There will never be another voice to touch hers, it was unique,sad, sad story.