Series 8 confirmed but another long wait!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
Forum Member
Sorry if I repeat sentiments elsewhere - but nice as it is to know the show is still given a fresh run, once again we have to wait a LONG time. I can at least console myself that Game of Thrones will return in good time next year. Too bad Moffat has to be tardy in order to be brilliant.

Comments

• SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I repeat sentiments elsewhere - but nice as it is to know the show is still given a fresh run, once again we have to wait a LONG time. I can at least console myself that Game of Thrones will return in good time next year. Too bad Moffat has to be tardy in order to be brilliant.

Why do u think its going to be a long wait. All i've seen is Series 8 being confirmed but it hasn't said when they start filming.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do u think its going to be a long wait. All i've seen is Series 8 being confirmed but it hasn't said when they start filming.

Matt Smith said he wasn't sure if filming began for S8 at the end of this year or beginning of next. With that in mind I am anticipating a similar run to what S7 was. Half in the Autumn in 2014 with the rest Spring 2015.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not
  • macman11macman11 Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Matt Smith said he wasn't sure if filming began for S8 at the end of this year or beginning of next. With that in mind I am anticipating a similar run to what S7 was. Half in the Autumn in 2014 with the rest Spring 2015.

I agree - this is almost a certainty.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Who's responsible for splitting the seasons? Moffat or the BBC high-ups? Either
    way I think it's a bad decision.

2005+ "Doctor Who" used to air its eps at a regular time each year, thus
    making it a fixture of the UK TV landscape. Showing it at different times
    each year makes it less likely viewers will stay with the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If filming for Series 8 starts directly after the Christmas special, there's a chance we could get a full 13 episode run in autumn 2014. Weird that there's so much ambiguity about when it starts filming though.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2005+ "Doctor Who" used to air its eps at a regular time each year, thus
    making it a fixture of the UK TV landscape. Showing it at different times
    each year makes it less likely viewers will stay with the show.

Careful, start showing discontent with the scheduling and the Entitlement Elves will come along to put you in your place....
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Careful, start showing discontent with the scheduling and the Entitlement Elves will come along to put you in your place....

Isn't Chris Eccleston's playing one in the
    next "Thor" film? ;) ...
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do wonder if money is part of it - Doctor Who is massively expensive to make and perhaps spreading it thinner spreads the costs.

Also there is Sherlock to consider which the BBC clearly want Moffat to keep making. However it would be virtually impossible to do 14 eps of DW in one year AND Sherlock. Another reason to stretch it all out a bit.

There might be an element too of the suits not really liking when the lead changes since it's always a risky venture - if the new Doctor doesn't click with the audience then there's a big problem. Spreading it over more time allows Matt to go off and do other things and gives him a break, meaning he's more likely to stick around.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

That would be my opinion as well. We're not getting much Who at the moment, mind you having lived through the dark years post McCoy, I guess some is miles better than none.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I am really hoping for a return to the format we saw in Series 6. I am entirely doubtful we'll get an uninterrupted run of 13 episodes for Series 8, but wouldn't mind some episodes earlier in the year and then some later in the year.

If there's another gap through to near the end of 2014, I won't be entirely satisfied. That's not a sense of entitlement, that's just how I feel about it. I am happy to excuse the delays to Series 7 as it has had to take the 50th Anniversary into consideration as well but Series 8 will be free of that really. An April or May start for Series 8A would be my preferred course of direction.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't even mind if they ignored 2014 completely and gave us a full 13 episode run in 2015, but I suppose we'll just have to put up with the fact that the BBC can't be bothered giving us 13 episodes per year any more (for whatever reason)
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I do wonder if money is part of it - Doctor Who is massively expensive to make and perhaps spreading it thinner spreads the costs.

Also there is Sherlock to consider which the BBC clearly want Moffat to keep making. However it would be virtually impossible to do 14 eps of DW in one year AND Sherlock. Another reason to stretch it all out a bit.

There didn't seem to be any such problems with DW, Torchwood and the SJAs- although all those were pre-recession, which is undoubtedly part of
    the issue.
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really happy there is to be a series 8 and hope Moffat and Smith are staying with the show, but, splitting seasons in two means we get less who which really bugs me( and I know it won't do anything but I intend to write to the bbc and complain), I just hope they see sense in 2014
  • lovedayloveday Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that I read somewhere or it might have been a television interview with Moffat that he was more then happy to have the series split up into 2 because he thought that it gives the fans something to look forward to knowing that there will be half a series in the spring and half a series in the autumn.
    Incidentally lets say for arguments sake that they start filming around late July when matt get back from America, well if they start filming late July then there is no reason why they wouldn't be able to have series 8 and a christmas special in the can ready for the spring and then that brings the filming and scheduling back to how it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveday wrote: »
    Incidentally lets say for arguments sake that they start filming around late July when matt get back from America...

Jenna said they're due to start filming for Christmas in September and that was arranged to encompass Matt's filming schedule. Presumably also gives him time to have an actual break and grow his hair back!

Merlin, which is a comparable show in terms of production, always started filming in March for a September start and they were still in production when it started airing. Therefore it seems impossible for them to film from September onwards and start a full 13 ep run at Easter.

Matt said he didn't know if they were filming straight after the Christmas special or starting in January. Sounds very much like they're still finalising all that. After all, sounds like Moffat is still putting the ideas and stories together and so they may not be ready to film the series in September. I'm thinking either they'll do a short run at Easter again with the rest of the series in the Autumn or they'll leave the whole lot until the Autumn.

Only problem with that is they've already commissioned Atlantis for that slot and if it turns out to be a success they may have a bit of a fight on their hands!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveday wrote: »
    Incidentally lets say for arguments sake that they start filming around late July when matt get back from America, well if they start filming late July then there is no reason why they wouldn't be able to have series 8 and a christmas special in the can ready for the spring and then that brings the filming and scheduling back to how it was.

Pretty sure Jenna has said she is looking for other work at the moment because they don't start back on DW till September.

If they do go straight into Series 8 after doing the Christmas Special in September then the best I can see happening is a split series Spring/Autumn 2014.
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    It's stated that filming stats in September for the Christmas special, they usually film in blocks, so chances are the Christmas and a few others will be filmed in that period before Xmas and after christmas, Maybe enough for a spring start.
  • Sir_JasperSir_Jasper Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Didnt Tennant say filming Dr Who takes 9 months out of your year?

I dont get the arguement that we are getting less, we are getting as much as they make, if they had continued to make them work for 9 months out of the year then it would get stale, people would leave to the demand placed on them etc....
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know people don't want it split in two, but let's wait till it is confirmed before we get the pitch forks out yeah?

I do no want another split like this season, but season 6 split worked quite well in my opinion.

So long as it plays out in the same year, no complaints from me.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Pretty sure Jenna has said she is looking for other work at the moment because they don't start back on DW till September.

That's been a curious aspect of this for me, the interview with Jenna implied that she was expecting to be filming Who during the summer period and that the delay had been a relative surprise (everything being twisted around Matt filming his movie??), and now Matt doesn't have (or claims not to have) a clear idea about when they start filming season 8.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Jenna filming without Matt? They've sown that particular seed as viable now... ;)
    Forum Member
    Sir_Jasper wrote: »
    Didnt Tennant say filming Dr Who takes 9 months out of your year?

And RTD-era DW got round this by having "Doctor-lite" ep once a year where the Doctor barely appeared. If they wanted to free up some time for the lead actor, no
    reason why they couldn't try the "Doc-lite" idea
    again....
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    I know people don't want it split in two, but let's wait till it is confirmed before we get the pitch forks out yeah?

I do no want another split like this season, but season 6 split worked quite well in my opinion.

So long as it plays out in the same year, no complaints from me.

To be fair i agree, I don't mind a season being split over one year it's when a series gets split over 2 years I get the hump
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    ...now Matt doesn't have (or claims not to have) a clear idea about when they start filming season 8.

Probably because there's no definitive answer from the BBC and Moffat yet over when they're airing it nor when it'll be ready to start filming.

As far we know Moffat is writing the Christmas special and planning series 8 right now. He didn't start on the Christmas special until after the 50th was done. Obviously he's got to finish Christmas first. So it depends how quickly he and whoever he chooses can get the episodes written and pre-production completed and sounds like he's said to Matt that it could be the end of this year or might have to be the start of next.