Heat Magazine...

DeeLushDeeLush Posts: 2,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it just me or has it gotten very "cartoony" and "gimmicky" in the last year or so since its relaunch? (might even be a bit longer than that)

I used to love HEAT and rush to the shop to buy it every week just like in the ADS but when it had a makeover it stopped being quite so clever and witty to me and started being a bit childish...like it was aiming at teens rather than women in their 20/s30s? as it was marketed originally... (ive no idea what their demographic is)

Its got pages and pages of fashion now whereas before you got a who wore what and "how could you wear that" section - if i wanted a fashion magazine i'd buy one? it was more celeb based in its earlier days i think...

I also think its trying to be too many things to too many people now and has lost its place as the uks no1 weekly gossip/celeb rag (although im not sure of figures im sure i saw NOW or something like it claiming to be the no1 now)

Do you think they should bring back the old style HEAT? or do you prefer it as it is? and what else do you read?

:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeeLush wrote: »
    Is it just me or has it gotten very "cartoony" and "gimmicky" in the last year or so since its relaunch? (might even be a bit longer than that)

I used to love HEAT and rush to the shop to buy it every week just like in the ADS but when it had a makeover it stopped being quite so clever and witty to me and started being a bit childish...like it was aiming at teens rather than women in their 20/s30s? as it was marketed originally... (ive no idea what their demographic is)

Its got pages and pages of fashion now whereas before you got a who wore what and "how could you wear that" section - if i wanted a fashion magazine i'd buy one? it was more celeb based in its earlier days i think...

I also think its trying to be too many things to too many people now and has lost its place as the uks no1 weekly gossip/celeb rag (although im not sure of figures im sure i saw NOW or something like it claiming to be the no1 now)

Do you think they should bring back the old style HEAT? or do you prefer it as it is? and what else do you read?

Wouldn't touch HEAT after this!
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once had a three and a half hour bus journey so I thought I'd buy some magazines to fill the time. I bought Heat, Ok and some other one. It took about ten to fifteen minutes to read Heat from front to back. I moved on to Ok and was furious to realise that it contained almost the exact same "news" as Heat, even to go as far as to have some of the same photo's. The third magazine was the same.

I have since then never bought a gossip mag. The are very expensive for what they are and contain very few stories and what is in them is sensationalised with very misleading headlines. Most of their articles are manufactured out of quotes from "sources" which we all know is mag language for "made up".

I can see why some people like reading them but they're not for me. Think I'll stick to gossiping on the forums. Before I knew of DS I used to go onto the Heat website (bored at work) but that was more to chat in the comments section. I found their articles very repetitive and since they changed the website I haven't been back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member

My mum and i were talking about this and we came to the same conclusion as you. It used to be really funny and sarcastic but now it seems quite bland. I think Now magazine is now getting ex-heat readers who hate the new look and as someone who has read it for years i honestly think its one of the few magazines that have improved over the years.
  • DeeLushDeeLush Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »

wow i'd forgotten all about that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcgvil wrote: »
    My mum and i were talking about this and we came to the same conclusion as you. It used to be really funny and sarcastic but now it seems quite bland. I think Now magazine is now getting ex-heat readers who hate the new look and as someone who has read it for years i honestly think its one of the few magazines that have improved over the years.

Im, the same, i actually brought NOW for the first time about a month ago, and about 4 others i'd either never read or not brought regularly or just picked up at the doctors...as i was so frustrated with HEAT, so i tried CLOSER, NOW, NEW and another one but i cant remember what it was lol..

I liked NOW and NEW best i think...as they basically covered what i wanted from them, cheap entertainment something to make me laugh and some nice articles.
    Before I knew of DS I used to go onto the Heat website (bored at work) but that was more to chat in the comments section. I found their articles very repetitive and since they changed the website I haven't been back.

I stopped posting on the HEAT website and the 3AM one, two many off their heads abusive fans on them. Here you can debate, make freinds and have a laugh no one carries on grudges if you dont agree with what they say and its moderated, although ive been banned myself i accept it and learn from it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't buy any magazines now. I find them all very patronising.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    I'm the same as the OP; I used to buy Heat every week before the makeover, but now I don't bother. It used to take the P out of celebrity culture, something I respected if for, but now it seems as celeb-obsessed as its trashy counterparts.

As a male reader, I also found the dramatic increase in pages on women's fashion very alienating.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to manage a newsagents a few years ago, and trust me, you could put Heat in the Now slot, and so on, and from six feet away you couldn't notice the difference. They are all, essentially, interchangeable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same as the OP; I used to by Heat every week before the makeover, but now I don't bother. It used to take the P out of celebrity culture, something I respected if for, but now it seems as celeb-obsessed as its trashy counterparts.

As a male reader, I also found the dramatic increase in pages on women's fashion very alienating.

It did seem to ridicule celeb culture and itself, not its almost been "dumbed" down and ive no idea why to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow i'd forgotten all about that!
    Much as I vehemently disapproved of that sticker, I got a totally different perspective of Katie Price after reading Mark Frith's book. He talks extensively about Katie's reaction and subsequent events to which the public weren't privvy. Enlightening stuff. As for Heat, it's totally lost its edge and doesn't deserve to be considered a cut above the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    I used to manage a newsagents a few years ago, and trust me, you could put Heat in the Now slot, and so on, and from six feet away you couldn't notice the difference. They are all, essentially, interchangeable.

I think thats probably the case now, but wasnt when HEAT first launched.... i think the name was to give celebs some HEAT and a hard time in a pee taking british fashion... but now its changed to be as "comicy" as it can be and trying to be too many things to too many people i feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    Much as I vehemently disapproved of that quicker, I got a totally different perspective of Katie Price after reading Mark Frith's book. He talks extensively about Katie's reaction. Enlightening stuff. As for Heat, it's totally lost its edge and doesn't deserve to be considered a cut above the rest.

Ive not read his book, is it worth picking up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree, I still buy it though!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive not read his book, is it worth picking up?
    You've quoted my uncorrected post. Lol Yes, it's definitely worth a read. Pretty interesting, though I felt that he must've missed lotsa juicy bits out.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heat is absolutely terrible - I find it horrendously patronising.
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been a big fan of New for years, since it first came out. Back in the day it was 60p for 60 news articles. I used to love Petes Column. Now i find him whiney and boring. I also detest Kym Marsh and she has a column now in New.

I stopped buying Heat years ago I am in my mid 30s and find it is aimed at teenagers and women in their early twenty's.
  • PinkGlitterPinkGlitter Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »

That was hilarious :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heat is absolutely terrible - I find it horrendously patronising.

I used to find it witty now it find it childish in the extreme
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    Heat: Last issue: Who looks good on the beach in a Bikini and is embracing their curves

Heat: This issue: Who looks fat on the beach in a Bikini and should be ashamed of their curves

Heat next issue: Who looks too skinny on the beach in a Bikini and needs some curves.

Heat discussion point: Cheryl Cole breaks wind, Cheryl Cole swishes hair, Cheryl Cole nation's sweetheart

Interviews on rotation Phil and Kirstie, Duncan James, John Barrowman and Lorraine Kelly.

biuy it now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppy10 wrote: »
    I have been a big fan of New for years, since it first came out. Back in the day it was 60p for 60 news articles. I used to love Petes Column. Now i find him whiney and boring. I also detest Kym Marsh and she has a column now in New.

I stopped buying Heat years ago I am in my mid 30s and find it is aimed at teenagers and women in their early twenty's.

I feel its been dumbed down and is now aimed at that age group, i feel old reading it, which wasnt the case a couple of years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funkycub wrote: »
    Heat: Last issue: Who looks good on the beach in a Bikini and is embracing their curves

Heat: This issue: Who looks fat on the beach in a Bikini and should be ashamed of their curves

Heat next issue: Who looks too skinny on the beach in a Bikini and needs some curves.

Heat discussion point: Cheryl Cole breaks wind, Cheryl Cole swishes hair, Cheryl Cole nation's sweetheart

Interviews on rotation Phil and Kirstie, Duncan James, John Barrowman and Lorraine Kelly.

biuy it now

hahaha! you forgot

KAPOWWW "BRITTANYS SHOCKING NEW SECRET!"
    and located throughout the magazine a number of sticker type idiot sections pointing to what were supposed to find funny.

HEAT FOR DUMMIES.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I personally think Heat only had a good first three or so years. I noticed the quality dipping years ago and stopped reading it then. The clincher for me was when they would have whole pages taken up with the headline of the article. This would happen on multiple pages of a given magazine, showing the paucity of material they had. It was more expensive than the other gossip mags but was in no way worth it. I also noticed that there was less A-List gossip and much more Zeleb waffle.

Also, them giving Love Actually a five-out-of-five star rating was worrying! :D
  • Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy quite a few magazines. But I use them as an escape if that makes sense. It gives me a mind numbing hour of nothingness. It is rather relaxing. I dont believe everthing I read obviously so its not like Im a religious follower. But i do believe heat has got rather crappy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    I personally think Heat only had a good first three or so years. I noticed the quality dipping years ago and stopped reading it then. The clincher for me was when they would have whole pages taken up with the headline of the article. This would happen on multiple pages of a given magazine, showing the paucity of material they had. It was more expensive than the other gossip mags but was in no way worth it. I also noticed that there was less A-List gossip and much more Zeleb waffle.

Also, them giving Love Actually a five-out-of-five star rating was worrying! :D

lol LOVE ACTUALLY is one of those films thats grown on me over the years... i always felt though that emma thomspon and alan rickman storyline could have been done more justice & martine and hugh grant and left out the body doubles or the bloke who goes off to the states instead...
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    lol LOVE ACTUALLY is one of those films thats grown on me over the years... i always felt though that emma thomspon and alan rickman storyline could have been done more justice & martine and hugh grant and left out the body doubles or the bloke who goes off to the states instead...

Exactly, that was my problem with the film, there was too many storylines and they were of such varying quality from the heartfelt to the utterly ridiculous (The guy going to the states, and Colin Firth's storyline.) I found the Keira Knightley storyline a bit treacly too.

I would've have like to see more of the Emma Thompson/Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant/Martine McCutcheon and Laura Linney storylines.

I'm generally not a fan of Richard Curtis's films. They always feel a bit manipulative to me.